Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JFK Assassination Autopsy Details Revealed After 55 Years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Also, Lol.

I just found the source for safe surfer's claim.

Most of the historians who have written books on the Kennedy assassination conclude there was a conspiracy.

Including 80% of the tenured academic historians who wrote books on the assassination in the decade from 2000.

2. All serious historians believe that Lee Harvey Oswald shot President Kennedy, alone and unaided.

Since 2000, five tenured academic historians have published books on JFK's assassination. Four of the five concluded that a conspiracy was behind the 35th president's murder.

So yea. 80% is one way to frame that.

Another way would be "4 people".

Fair enough. But I think that link does adequately support dohnjoe's point.

As he pointed out:

"The legislation led to the most ambitious declassification effort in American history—more than five million documents in total. Over the next 25 years, the government fully released 88 percent of materials related to the assassination, and another 11 percent of partially redacted documents. As of October 2017, only one percent of documents remained classified."

"There have been no shocking revelations in these documents; nothing to challenge the conclusions of the Warren Commission that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. Moreover, there have been no convincing alternative explanations of what took place in Dallas on November 22, 1963. At the same time, authors such as Gerald Posner (Case Closed) and Vincent Bugliosi (Reclaiming History) effectively refuted all the major conspiracy theories. Technology has also conspired against conspiracy. Digital recreations of the Zapruder film prove conclusively that all three shots fired at the Kennedy motorcade came from the sixth floor of the Book Depository Building. There were no second shooters or conspiracies; just Oswald and a high-powered rifle"

And again for reference this is a quote from an actual historian:

Steven M. Gillon is a professor of history at the University of Oklahoma

The majority of historians do not support a conspiracy theory.

The only person claiming otherwise can only point to 4 examples of historians who do.

Just from the authors mentioned in the above quote, the historian who wrote that article and the one author that makes up the 20% safe surfer is claiming makes 4 who specifically reject the conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I count 3 people mentioned there. and you consider that a majority.

the other poster has 4 out of 5 who do think there was a conspiracy and you dismissed that because it is only 4.

I'm sure you can see what I mean about consistency.

Two from the article:

authors such as Gerald Posner (Case Closed) and Vincent Bugliosi (Reclaiming History

The author of the article:

Steven M. Gillon is a professor of history at the University of Oklahoma

And

Robert Dallek of UCLA, wrote a 2003 biography of Kennedy, An Unfinished Life: John F. Kennedy, 1917-1963

Who is the remaining 20% of tenured historians who published a book about Kennedy since 2000.

I don't consider this a majority and never stated that I did. Dohnjoe explained and supported the notion that the majority of historians support the accepted story.

I'm pointing out that it was easy to find historians who don't support the conspiracy theories. Compare this to how conspiracy theorists have to scrape to find four.

Nor am I dismissing anything just because it's 4 people. I'm just highlighting the underhandedness of presenting 4 people as "80% of tenured historians" and using that to suggest there is a majority of support for the conspiracy theories.

So what do you personally think the majority of historians support?

I have no idea what the majority of historians support. that isn't relevant. what is relevant is what can shown with sources. Safe Surfers claim of 80% does have a source. while I agree that the sample is small it does support what they say. Johndoes claim of a consensus amongst historians is backed up with a sample of 4. You responded to Safe Surfer with a dismissive "Lol" yet you consider Johndoes source to be rock solid. Like I said it smacks of hypocrisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,044 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

No, you've misunderstood, I previously wrote:

"Quick overview and history of the swings and doubts surrounding the case"

That link is simply a quick overview, it's representative.

Separate from that, if you decide to look up an event from the past on any historical reference site, encyclopedia, or any quality source - you'll typically come across the key theory. Whereas the weaker theories will be generally be referred to as a footnote or in a separate grouping. Likewise going to any proper history forum usually yields the same results.

The issue with events like the JFK assassination, 9/11 and so on is due to their nature that they generate massive conspiracy interest, which means a vast amount of conspiracy literature, videos, etc. Why? Because it's exciting, and therefore there's a big market for it. It doesn't automatically mean that a conspiracy has occurred. In this case, as we can see, it's even difficult to point to a single coherent JFK conspiracy theory.

But again, that's not what Dohnjoe's argument is supported by. Never said that it was.

Also I never said "rock solid" either. I said the words "adequate" and "better indicator".

And I wasn't laughing at how small the sample was, I was laughing at the dishonest way it was presented compared to what the actual figure was.

So yea, if you take things the wrong way and misrepresent what I've actually been saying, I'm sure it might smack of hypocrisy.

And no, I don't think that pointing to 4 examples supports Safesurfer's claim that there's a sizable proportion of historians who support the conspiracy theories.

(We'll just ignore that he didn't actually point to those examples, he just made the claim that "80% of tenured historians etc etc." and then refused to actually give the source himself. I found the source by accident.)

For one, if there were a large percentage of historians who supported the conspiracy theory, I think you'd be able to find more than 4 examples from the last 20 years. You wouldn't need to narrow down the field to specifically tenured professors. You wouldn't need to whittle it down to just ones who published books about the assassination. All of these are just special pleading to try and make the number sound more impressive than it is.

A better way would be to point to the number of people who have history degrees/work in the field/publish history books who directly support the idea of a conspiracy theory.

I also think those 4 examples would not all have completely different ideas of what the conspiracy is. One of those four doesn't even actually propose an alternative.

THIS is what supports Dohnjoe's argument.

I would suggest it is King Mob that misunderstood. they stood over that link as backing up your claim on its own. It doesn't and I think you would agree with that going by that post.

it is very simple. there were two sources presented to support two sides of an argument (irrespective of who found the actual source). One link said 4 out of 5 historians supported that there was a conspiracy. Safe Surfer claimed that as 80%. You describe that claim as dishonest and dismiss. you then say that the link posted by Johndoe is sufficient to support their claim that a majority of historians think there was no conspiracy. Both numbers have low sample sizes but you think one is a stronger claim than the other. there is nothing in those two links that supports the distinction you have made. both are poor sources. One is not superior to the other. You have let your own biases lead you to the conclusion that one is better than the other.

you may have noticed that I ignored most of your post. that is deliberate. we were discussing two sources and those two sources alone. I have no interest in a general discussion on the topic or who is right and who is wrong. I am simply pointing out the hypocrisy.

I think it is pretty relevant that safesurfer wasn't the one who actually who provided the source for this claim. I also think that it's relevant to point out that he's pointing to 4 individuals, not "4 out of 5" or "80%" of historians.

Nor have I said anything about the source for safesurfer's 4 people. I have no issue with the source and I never said that it was a poor source. I never said one source was stronger than another.

And again, as I explained in the portion of my post that you are ignoring, it's not the numbers that support Dohnjoe's point. I never said it was.

You're doing a lot of twisting and misrepresenting to try and catch me out on my supposed hypocrisy.

• Advertisement

Indeed. I provided my reasoning. It's not really something that can be "proved".

We had dozens of pages of a thread here before referring to the consensus of historians on the Holocaust, nope, same issue. If someone wants to be granular enough, these things can't be "proved". Give the reasoning and move on.

To avoid all this it's more straightforward to refer to it as the "key theory". Anyone, even someone who believes there was a conspiracy, can recognise that it is widely considered the key theory of the JFK assassination.

The next big step is actually to hear out one of these conspiracies, but so far nothing credible has been presented here.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

Presenting it as 80% is totally dishonest though. A sample size of 5 is nowhere near large enough to be considered statistically significant.

The fact that only 1 historian wrote a book supporting the official narrative in the last 20 years does not mean that historians are divide about what happened. I doubt you'd find many books about how the Apollo 11 mission definitely landed on the moon written in the last 20 years either. That doesn't mean that historians think the moon landing were faked.

Tenured academics tend not to spend time writing books that just agree with the consensus, they write books when they feel they have new ideas or evidence to present. The JFK assassination is one of the biggest events in modern political history, if there were differing opinions they'd all be writing about it. Especially if there was credible evidence to support alternative theories.

neither is presenting a source with a sample of 4 and claiming it is proof of a majority. yet somehow you don't have an issue with that.

Because no one is doing that. Except for safesurfer. And except he didn't actually present a source for his claim. Which is most likely because he didn't want people to figure out he was just talking about 4 people.

yes. you did. you presented Donhjoes link as a source for his claim of a majority. I'm done talking with you about this. i know how you behave and I'm having none of it.

Yes. And I and he explained how it indicates and supports the idea of a majority. It was not because 4 other people didn't believe the conspiracy theory.

You specifically stated that you were ignoring the part where I explained this to you.

Again, you are misrepresenting me and my position for some reason. I'm sorry that I'm trying to correct you on it. If you don't want to discuss it anymore, please stop misrepresenting me.

I said I'm done. No intention of being harangued by you.

Cools. Please don't repeat your misrepresentations in that case.

if you have an issue with my posts then report them. you're fooling nobody.

Why would I report them when I can just point out why they are misrepresentation?

I'm also curious how I'm trying to fool anyone.

Very bizarre tangent this thread has gone down.

Anyway, I think the majority of historians don't believe the conspiracy theories. If this wasn't true, then there'd be more examples than 4 in the last 20 years who believe in a conspiracy.

• Advertisement

you really do have to get in the last word. on the ignore list you go.

Despite what school history textbooks around the world all teach in unison, and the results of every normal encyclopedia/history reference, it's pretty clear no one is going to "prove" a consensus on this forum.

So moving on from that. What are strong alternative theories?

I came across a separate theory that the KGB pushed "conspiracy theories" out of fear that they would be blamed for the assassination.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I don't buy the KBG theory. Way too obvious. They would have to assume Oswald was under surveillance when he went back to America. And history has shown us that the Russians play the long game when it comes to spies.

Like this

The only theory with anything approaching credibility is Oswald was recruited by the mob in New Orleans when he was antagonising the anti Castro Cubans and it went on from there. They only problem with the theory is there is no evidence whatsoever to support it. the only reason it has any credibility (it doesnt really) is because there are a few days that summer when no one knows where Oswald was. He was most likely at home alone, reading.

For the most part, Oswalds entire few years pre assassination is accounted for, nearly every day of it.

Its the most investigated crime in human history. By far. Its been investigated in granular detail for nearly 60 years now.

I believe it came out after with Mitrokhin (the KGB archivist who flipped)

Apparently its revealed in by Mitrokhin in the book The Sword and the Shield:The Mitrokhin Archive and the Secret History of the KGB - that the KGB financed several conspiracy books that came out after the assassination, e.g. "Oswald: Assassin or Fall guy?"

This is a good read. Very difficult to see past Oswald.

LEE HARVEY OSWALD'S SOLE GUILT....POINT-BY-POINT:

This is what happens when you hold "skeptics" to their own standards of skepticism. Lets not forget that Dohnjoe came up with the 80% figure to deflect my question to him on his own thoughts or findings on the JFK assassination. Still waiting ...

Straight away, this is wrong. It says that Oswald was positively identified when he wasn't. In fact that witness said that he would recognize the shooter if he saw him again. He got to see Oswald in a line up and couldn't positively identify him. Not to mention the evidence it leaves out. Its very one sided.

But again, I pointed out and explained how I believe dohn Joe's argument is supported.

You did not support your claim and are now trying to pretend that you did.

You are also ignoring your very deceptive interpretation of the figures, which is why I believe you didn’t want to supply your source in the first place.

We are all skeptics. I didn't come up with any 80% figure. I've already shared my thoughts on the JFK assassination, that LHO was the lone shooter.

I pointed out that the approach by posters here was to get others to "prove" the key theory to them and not to present any conspiracy theories, okay, but that's the same technique used in every 9/11, moon landing hoax, princess Diana, etc thread. A thing whereby posters with a little knowledge get to endlessly "pick" at the main theory subjectively without ever making the slightest effort to support or show interest in any alternative theory. This didn't happen a few months ago, it's decades old, been scrutinised to death, the Alex Jones "can't explain that" approach just doesn't wash.

If there is a strong conspiracy with supporting evidence, then what is it? If some people are so convinced "something" happened, then surely they must have some interest in what that "something" is? Otherwise it just seems to be one poster refuting the same misconceptions every few pages.

• Advertisement

Brennan said: "I could at that time-I could, with all sincerity, identify him as being the same man."

Love how you pick one out of the hundreds of points in that article.

What evidence does it leave out?

Advertisement