Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

A 5 minutes stop to put 800km into the audi vs how long to put half in id4. I think that's the point. And if unlikely there is a car ahead of you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Not sure if this is the right place but I've been perplexed lately about home electricity packages. I've looked at smart meters and ev packages and they all seem like really bad deals. I've spent the weekend trying to figure out why Smart meter rates are so much more expensive than day/night meters rates and cannot for the life of me.

In the I've signed up for a day/night meter with Bord Gais today 21.62c/10.7 cent including vat an a 299.5 standing charge. I feel bad going down this route as smart meters are being rolled out and it seems wasteful but they just seem like really bad deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

You're focusing on a tiny majority case though. It takes me 30 seconds to plug in my car and that gives me 450km range overnight without doing anything else.

If I'm driving Donegal to Cork, (how often is that really needed) then I'll probably stop at least twice to take a pee and grab something from the shop.

A top up at a fast charger anywhere between Monaghan and Thurles and I'm sorted. The average stop for a pee and a burger is probably 20-30 minutes during which time I'll add between 80 and 100km.

With charging for charging now in place there would be no difficulty at all in getting a charge at some point in that stretch.

And the other 99% of the year when I'm not driving Donegal to Cork, I'm paying at least €2k less for fuel than I would in a petrol or diesel. Probably a lot better saving than that now. When I first switched I calculated a €2k saving and that was 6 years ago when diesel was massively cheaper.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, refuelling on the road is of course quicker in a diesel. But I would have been spending that 30 minutes at a motorway station anyway even if I only spent a few minutes filling the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

To be fair calling 350km real range was a bit disingenuous anyway , what he meant what was the maximum range in sub optimal conditions that persist for maybe 25 percent of the year.

I have just moved into a new house and smart meter was already fitted, so no Day/Night option for me.

Electric Ireland's HomeSaver + 30% discount was best I could find as a Smart Meter user, and it's something like 18c per kWh, no timing benefits.

Very disappointed in the tariffs tbh - would it have been so tough for them to setup comparable to the Day/Night ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

I wonder what would happen if the Dacia Spring got released here? If you remove the general EV price argument and it was on sale for EUR13k would people buy it or would range become the dominant issue?

It wouldn't have been hard at all, and according to bord gais if I get a smart meter in the future I can stay on that tarriff but I've my doubts. I don't know yet what the EV will demand in terms of electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There will always be another excuse, once upon a time EVs weren't practical because they only did 100km and the reviewer needed 150km to be comfortable. As the available range has increased the requirements have become more crazy. I expect to read next year about the reviewer who needs to drive to Estonia 4 times a year meaning an EV just isn't a reasonable choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Correct LiamOg, the goalposts keep changing. I hear it myself when others ask me about my EV. The vast majority never drive more than 100km in a day, yet they need 2 cars that can go to Cork right now in an emergency!

Any 2 car household should really be able to manage one of them being a cheap eV. We have been doing it for a few years, like many on Boards.

For the runs to the supermarket, the school, the dropoffs to football training etc etc. They are built for that type of workload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

A potential 5 minutes. Most people are hung in the refueling time difference not in the actual stop.

After approx 2-3h driving, aching and with some bladder pressure one ICE driver stop at the pump refuels (in 5 mins) pays, if not already then parks the car, goes to the washroom then gets a coffee/snack goes and does some stretching, serves the beverage and then goes back to the car to get on with the trip. The EV driver with a decent charging network, parks the car plugs in the charger and does all the same activities. I have to be fair and say that this scenario in Ireland is limited to a small number of service station and mostly to Tesla owners but this is where we should aim. How much longer is the stop of the EV driver? How many minutes lost? Check Bjorn's 1000km spreadsheet you're in for a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Don't forget to add in the time taken for the other 20-30 garage trips, queuing to get a pump, stand in the cold filling it, (move the car if a longer stop), queue in the shop to pay. Guaranteed it's more than time than the 30seconds a week an EV drivers spends plugging/unplugging

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

Refuelling on the road is only sometimes quicker in a diesel. If you are stopping for diesel and to grab a bite to eat, you have to fill the car with diesel, pay, move the car (about 10 minutes) and then go back in to get your food. If you are charging, and there's no queue for the charger, then you park, plug in and start charging (about 30 seconds) and then go in to get your food. If the amount of charge you're looking for is less than or equal to the charge you get when eating, then you've saved 9.5 minutes by using an EV.

If you don't need food, then a diesel is quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I was referring only to the refuelling which is and always will be quicker on the road in an ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NCC1701

Pretty hard to argue with that (impossible actually but you'll always get someone who will!). Since covid induced lockdowns and curtailed all the motorway miles I used to do, my diesel has suffered from the short hops to shops and kid's football training etc (about 5kms in each case and so too far to walk). Battery died and had to be replaced, DPF filter became clogged etc. An ev would have been perfect for these runs to shops, schools and football practice, with no belching diesel exhaust fumes and far more efficient. As for the whole "range thing", we live on a fairly small island. Like how much range do we really need? Its not as if we'll ever get stuck in the middle of a desert miles from anywhere. As someone else said, most of our daily runs are short (and I'd consider my commute of 80kms round trip to be short) and even the smallest ev range will cope with that. Having 400-500kms of range is just bragging, or at best it means you don't have to spend a few seconds plugging the car in every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agree except for your last line.

I'd always need one car that can do that range. A second car doesnt need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Just playing around with the calculator, full load, summer time, 25c AC, highway and ECO, the range is 366 km, I am 320 km to and from Dublin airport so 46 km to spare. I think its a big ask for people to spend 45 k on a car that with every year that passes will knock a % or so from that total.

I filled my phev up the 12th of November 60 euro, it showed a range of 730km, still have 100 km range left and I have done 880 km, plugged in 4 times out and about and at home most days. Only 1 long trip of 360 km and 2 x 100km trips, rest are school runs 10km (kids were coughing 2 weeks) and grocery shopping 40/50 km

Even take a normal hybrid or diesel, that sort of driving is not that expensive, last thing I would want to be doing is driving at 100 kph or making up excuses to stop for a pee or burger.

Just go to the zoo or airport pee eat there or some nice restaurant and come back, hard see why people would bother with the hassle of range/charging or even worry about it when a normal car is around the same price.

https://rangecalculator.skoda-auto.com/941/en-ie

why do you have to get to the airport and back without a charge somewhere? how often do you make that trip? If doing a trip of that length do you normally get to your destination immediately turn around and go back?

Im having this same discussion with my Mum, she is looking at a Q4 and thinks she needs the larger battery at an extra 6k, she doesnt, they have an ICE car if for some reason fast charging is beyond her, she will have charging at home, i have a charger at my place 130km away, and mostly she drives 30-40k a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Honestly how much time do you waste in filthy service stations every week and then end up buying junk food laid out in the shop. 30 min a week = 28 hours a year stuck in service stations minimum...

I went for a lower range model on the based the six times I go West every year that 6k could buy a lot of burgers.

People want to be able to drive a normal distance 50-200km without having to worry about making it or having to stop.

Most people stop on a 350-400+ km journey anyway so it's less of an issue to recharge then.

• Advertisement

I dont understand your point. EVs have to charge at the same service stations usually. Also tend to be somewhere out the back and not covered from the elements. At least when I go to a motorway services in my fossil cars I can park under a canopy, fill up in 3-5 mins and go in to pay without being rained on.

Sure, any new EV can do that though, its not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

You can get a Smart meter removed and replaced with a Day Night meter, I did this in January of this year. It costs nothing to get a day night meter installed but there is a fee to get it removed. Also, I think you can refuse to get a Smart Meter fitted, they are not a mandatory requirement. I'll be keeping my day night meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

Smart meters at least when they were installing first could not do day/night and so anyone who needed day night did not get a smart meter. Smart meter pricing is much higher at the moment due to confusion and lack of competition at this early launch stage. In terms of cost of filling EV, if you do 100km a day it may make sense to go night meter, but it depends on actual usage. I recommend go day/night for a year, then check actual consumption and switch to 24 hour rate if it works out cheaper. If you switch to 24 hour rate they leave same meter and add the 2 numbers together. On night rate my 110km commute a day cost roughly 400 euro a year, so a relatively low amount of the annual electricity bill, but it was cheaper to have night rate due to high early morning usage of instant showers, washing machines etc.

I ran the numbers there last night and if it wasn't for the including the increase in standing charge on the basis of Bord Gais day night rate (21.62/10.7) versus 24 hour (20.1) and recharging the EV (72 Kw) every 2 weeks. The Day night is a moderate saving without the EV but with it, it's significant. The more I use the EV the more worth it, it becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

EV's charge at home 95% of the time. EV's will only charge at a traditional service station in an emergency hence the punitive rates. For the most part EV's will charge off at fast chargers on the motorway network a couple of times a year, or top up at destinations like supermarkets. Your service station cover is not going to help you when Climate Change changes the elements to mass flooding. It really saddens me how far people will go to avoid making the tiniest change whether wearing a facemask or going electric...

I get you may be one of those rare people who commutes to Dublin from Malin head. Oldish data but won't have changed - 61% of journeys are less than 8km. That's walking distance.

Post edited by micosoft on

You folks with your fancy ICE cars, what happens when you need to shelter it in a stables overnight during a storm, sure it will never fit. Think people , think...

It's kinda interesting how people grow attached to the things that limit us today, and actually start to see them as features. Filling up at a petrol station is not a convenience, it's a burden. Because EV reviews will always feature some form of range test we can be conditioned to thing we'll be used fast chargers here and there, but frankly I could see myself never going into a station again or as another poster mentioned, stopping off to have a slash or get a coffee and leaving the car on charge. I think the net amount of time I'll spend in filling stations will be drastically reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

We have requested our smart meter be replaced with day night ( in September - hasn’t happened yet) but with us wfh it will hardly save us a whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Its at least 2 times a year some times 4, for the sake of 30 euro a trip I am not going to invest 45 k ( would not spend that much anyway) in a car that might or might not need a stop, I could stop for petrol, normally I would get it before the trip, but if I do stop I know I will have it done in 5 minutes not guessing praying or waiting on some 2014 leaf.

I find phevs great, most of the local trips cheap, the longer trips as with any normal car, just thinking about tayto park or Newgrange, 175 km and 200 km from me, I want to enjoy the day with the family not b0ll0ck$ around at some charger.

I helped my mum buy a 225xe and dad a c350e both are extremely happy with reduced spending on petrol and none of the whining about ecars .

• Advertisement

If you wouldn't buy one anyway what's the point exactly ?

Can't speak for anyone else but have never used e cars for fast charging personally.

Advertisement