Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Not showing a lot of faith in the Pats players.......

Somebody on here will know this

when is European money paid out

a) when you are eliminated or

b) when the competition is complete?

in the case of a) Dundalk have squandered €1m

in the case of b) Dundalk (and Rovers, Bohs and Sligo) still have money

due and can plan accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭RedCardKid

Joeysoap: UEFA money is normally paid out once the competition has finished to the national FA who in turn pass it onto clubs. Due to Covid this process has changed and clubs have been allowed to draw down payments earlier to help cover the costs involved in playing in Europe. If clubs have drawn monies for this years competition, only the clubs and FAI can answer that.

Thanks. So Peak6 may have cleaned the lot ( and presumably did).

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭RedCardKid

Possible, or they financed everything out of their own pocket last season and left the money. I know the year they got to the group stages they didnt draw down early, instead they gave the club loans from the US to pay hotels, flights etc.

When they originally bought the club it was said that they paid the lads the same / a little more money than was in the bank and then the European money due came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

I saw someone say on the Pats forum that the Academy players (Burns, McCormack and Abankwah) are under contract, which is good news. All three are great prospects, and sadly I don’t think we’ll be keeping them long term. I wouldn’t be that surprised to see Smith go, likewise King and Benson (I’d keep all three obviously.) Absolute priorities for me would be Chris Forrestor and Lee Desmond. Would be devastating to lose either of them. Would also like to see Ian Bermingham stay, and I think he will unless he’s told he’s not wanted. Anyone else I could cope with really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ex rovers Liam scales scores for Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Dylan Grimes to Drogheda from Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tom2

Chris Forrester has signed a new long-term deal with St Pats.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Whats long term these days? 3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tom2

Don’t know how long this one is, but his contract that just expired was three years.

Keith ward to Dundalk (again)

one of the first players Kenny let go ( a 100 years ago)

great player ( in his day)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Surprised at that one tbh. Thought he would stay at Bohs for the next few years although he has been more of a bit part player recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Gary Deegan re-signs for Drogheda.

My player of the season last season. Great news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think he's got talent but he's a bit of an enigma. He's 22 now so needs to start delivering consistently.

Derry have done well to add Alan Reynolds to the coaching team. Himself and Higgins are an interesting partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

That's what has been said. O'Donnell is bringing the Dundalk team of 2016-17 back together again. Benson is still a top quality player, Barrett was very good for us last season, Mountney was a right back before he got injured, decent but exposed at times. Would prefer to keep Barrett at least, Benson we have a replacement for in McCormack who has real potential, wouldn't be massively fussed about Mountney either way. One thing to note is that all 3 players missed decent chunks of the season with injuries m.

I can understand bringing back one or even two of them particularly Benson but bringing back all three seems overkill to me particularly as like a lot of the other players from that 16-19 Dundalk team still in the league they seem prone to injury.

Yeah there's a lot of talent in the Pats youth players. Barring the 3 who've broken into the first team this season there's Kian Corbally, Adam Murphy, Josh Keeley,Tommy Lonergan and the Curtis brothers who have been on the fringes of the 1st team this season. There's also Kyle Robinson and Cian Kelly who were on loan at Wexford this season. Robinson seems to have a decent enough record while Kelly was unfortunately injured a fair bit. Now not all of them will make into the first team but there's a fair base there to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any support would be greatly appreciated on this - takes about 5 minutes from setting up a DCC account (direct link contained above), verify the account then submitting the pre-defined template available link. You don't need to be resident in Dublin to submit one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Thoughts on this?

I can see why Wardy signed for Dundalk now.

Seriously though I always liked the black and red stripes of the Bohs kit similar to AC Milan colours. This looks like a sock design.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Once the usual meltdown dies down I think it will look OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Foley spent a couple of periods up north with my team Glenavon and can't say i was ever too impressed with him.

Seemed like a good lad though and i was glad to see him start the current season scoring every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Oh dear.

Why did Ronnie Corbett playing golf pop into my head?

My fear is that we have switched to O'Neills this year, and they might do something similar with the Candystripes.

I see we have signed Cameron Dummigan from Dundalk.

Forming a decent squad at the Brandywell for next season.

Really? If I was a Bohs fan I wouldn’t be impressed with that at all. Horrible. Not a fan of clubs messing with their traditional shirt too much. Like when Pats did away with the white sleeves a few seasons back. Made it look like a Shels jersey (shudder !)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm not really fussed with jerseys myself. Once it's not green and white hoops that's fine. Stripes only came in in the mid 70s for Bohs regularly and there's plenty in the meantime that weren't.

I'd more worried about who'll be wearing the jersey next season.

I think a good rule of thumb should be if you like it, buy it, if you don't, don't. I expect this will sell well and realistically this is what jerseys are all about, generating revenue for the club.

Ours was designed in house so not a generic O'Neill's thing that's coming.

why dosn’t Higgings just sign all the Dundalk players, it would be easier that way

Derry sign the Dundalk squad, Dundalk sign the Pats squad, we sign the Drogheda squad, Drogheda sign the Shels squad, Shels sign the Harps squad. Rovers resigned nearly all of their players from last year. We're basically going to get the same squads as last year but with different clubs.

Jersey is sold out. Four hours. Love it or hate it, it sells.

• Advertisement

Didn't like it personally, reminded of an old fashioned jumper design wise but that's some good sales.

So Rovers walk the league again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Tommy Lonergan - Great name

Invokes images of a 1950's footballer. Was there a player in Patrick's history named Lonergan?

They will unless there's some pretty significant injections of quality into the rest of the top sides over the next few weeks.

The return of Jack Byrne, if he stays fit, means they could win it by even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Dundalk mightn't have had the best season but the players Derry have poached are fairly quality. Shane McEleney, kavanagh would say they will have quite the squad by the time the season starts. If Derry aren't in a title fight will be a disaster for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Ya no one looking like they'll challenge. Derry maybe but probably a season too soon unless they can pull off a few big signings in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

To be fair I thought most of the kits O'Neills have made for Bohemians the past few seasons have been decent.

I have liked most of the kits O'Neills have made for Bohemians the past few seasons including the just finished one but that is terrible I agree.

Those are fair comments. For me it is a definite no. I am not fussed about it having to be red and black strips but that design is a no for me and I don't like using that older crest either much prefer the circular one be it the as Gaelige or as Bearla versions of recent seasons.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say it would be a disaster for us if we aren't in a title fight. I don't think anyone at the club or among supporters think we will have a good enough team to challenge Rovers for the title, thats just daft. They are miles ahead of any team in the league, and no-one will get close to them next season again.

I'd say we will be hoping for 2nd place though, and form the basis for a better challenge the following season.

But sure who knows? Nothing guaranteed in football. We might be mid table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah I can't see anyone properly challenging Rovers next season. I think all of Derry, Pats, Dundalk and anyone else would take 2nd place if you offered it to them now. Derry do seem to be forming a very strong squad though, especially if they sign Georgie Kelly too. You'd imagine in the 2023 season they will be able to give Rovers a real challenge. I think Brandon Kavanagh will be a great player if he gets games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Sorry to see Brandon leave but his first team chances have been limited though I would have thought he would have been a natural replacement for Ronan Finn. Nice to see c.2000 season tickets sold so far, will be interesting to see the total sold near season start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Right now, I'd still expect rovers to win, but Derry to keep them honest and be on the periphery if they stumble. Maybe fight was slightly strong. Shams just having that settled squad but Higgins has started the right way. Brought local talent home as a spine of the squad and he's clearly building a squad that I can't see anyone other than shams matching. If Georgie Kelly comes in the first XI and bench is already looking very good and it's still December

In fairness to Bohs it's good to see them partnering with an Irish kit company as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

I think Kavanagh will be a very good player too but he will not be a replacement for Finn. Finn was already replaced in midfield 2 years ago. The replacement for Finn will be a rwb not an attacking midfielder/playmaker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I can see Cotter replacing Finn if he keeps his form from last year. He was an excellent addition to the squad and at a crucial time too. He was pigeon holed into the left side of defence but is naturally right sided so that helps.

In terms of challenging next year, Rovers will be there or thereabouts but I don't think it'll be as one sided as this season. Derry will have a pretty good side, especially with more additions to come, Dundalk will be more settled with less background distractions, Pats still have the core of a good squad and will put it up to anyone, Shels have to be tougher to beat than last time around & Harps will be better bedded in after last year, Bohs will raise their game in the derby games again too... Genuinely don't think Rovers will have it all their own way at all. We'll start as bookies favourites but one thing of following this league for 40 years has taught me is that nothing is a given.

Already looking forward to it immensely though.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

hopefully we continue to fly under the radar with 90% of last season squad signed up, we would have comfortably finished second, if we didn't decide to give up playing football for a few months at the end of the season.

Forgot about Cotter, he was some signing. Do we know what contract he is on? Derry have some squad, any team with the likes of McCelaney and Duffy not to mention Patching will pose a threat to any side, suspect Derry fans are underplaying their chances here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Sligo Rovers

Personally I thought we overperformed last season and I'd snap your hand off for 3rd again. I think with Shams, Pats, Derry, Bohs and maybe even Dundalk rejuvenated we could regress to mid-table. Desperately need 2 or 3 quality attacking options to go with Kenny.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement