Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

My understanding is that Irish Water removed them to do some work in the area, and the kerbs will be reinstated in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Irish water where in the process of replacing the kerbs and it was removed off plan because of a lawsuit brought by a solicitor on behalf of a local resident who fell on the road because of said kerbing. That's straight from the contractor who carried out the work for IW who I asked directly about this when the work was being carried out.

Thats not to say they may never reappear at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The ones on the DCC twitter post look a bit higher and more substantial than on the Goatstown Road. It'd be strange for any council to be installing them if there was a fear of litigation over them.

fwiw when I was working in Clonskeagh, I don't recall the Goatstown Road being particularly bad for parking, and the bit by the Goat (outbound) where you'd want them didn't have the kerbs anyway. The "shared" paths both ways between the Goat and Lower Kilmacud Road needed the attention more imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Oisín O'Conor IIRC said that the wands would go back on the Goatstown Road but they wouldn't put the kerb back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

funny, i've twice helped people who have tripped over kerbing on the median opposite my house and there was never talk of removing it as a result.

• Advertisement

This bit is a subtle but substantial collision hazard (people swing hard left into the cycle lane to get around the driver waiting to turn right who is partly blocking the straight-ahead lane because the right-turn lane is too small). Needs to change, as sooner or later someone on a bike is going to get badly hurt.

It's "O'Connor" I've noticed, but I've quoted it now.

Speed most likely a factor in bound in some of those. And I have nearly been side swiped a couple times at that right turn!

Yeah, inbound is a faster journey, that's for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Deansgrange cycle route.

I heard on the grapevine today that the route through the cemetery (option 6) will be proposed to the council by DLRCC at next Mondays meeting. Then there will be a new plan drawn up in the New Year. Consultation after that and then hopefully some activity on the ground to get something in place. It could possibly work for kids, families and some others but most commuting cyclists will just stay on the road beside the cemetery (especially heading southbound) as it looks like a lot of extra crossing of roads, negotiating pedestrian and funeral traffic, and generally having to go out of your way to get where you want to go. However for access to Hollypark schools it could work well if they link it in with the main road up through the cemetery and figure a safe way to get from the exit of the cemetery in Hollypark to the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Good, I hope the Councillors push for an early Part VIII.

Its just a pity the Council officials responsible for this area of policy had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the brink of this win-win solution, rather than being so eager to discomode so many and affect already struggling businesses, without proper strategic analysis.

A convoluted route is not a win win. It probably increases the dangers to cyclists that chose not to do multiple road crossings to use it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

is there any truth that the council and retailers in Deansgange have finally agreed a cycle route they are both happy with?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

A cycle route that gets ignored by the majority of cyclists is an utter waste. And will serve as just another excuse for ignorant motorists to decry cyclists who decide not to use the purpose built cyclepath. For decades cycling infrastructure was designed to simply remove cyclists out of the way of motorists. We have been moving towards a more equitable sharing of roadspace in recent years but if the cycle path is routed through the graveyard we are simply repeating mistakes of old. It won't bring infrastructure in the area forward one bit. It will be ignored like all poor cycling infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Agree with this. Ireland is still designing carefully within the limitations of a "can't do anything to inconvenience motorists" mindset. Unless we free our minds like Neo and start designing for the type of roads we want , we're destined to just end up with more crappy unused infra.

The ironic thing is that this frustrates not only cyclists, but also the very non-cycling folk that are blocking the good options that would get widely used.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

But, as we know, the people of the area aren't going to wear the changes to Deansgrange Road itself, as were originally proposed, so.......

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

so.......we are left with the continuation of gridlock which is already firmly ensconced in Deansgrange. Which actually causes real economic damage as opposed to the fevered imaginings of the Tiger pizza fella. Meanwhile we fail to shift commuters out of their cars and onto bikes and fail to realise the many benefits that such modal shifts generate. These arguments are evidence based, the evidence exists in every municipality that takes provision of dedicated cycling infrastructure seriously. But you are probably right, there is no persuading the NIMBYS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

For anyone living in the Nutgrove/Dundrum areas, DLR have a community consultation about the new DLR Connector route across the South County.

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/transportation/dlr-connector-adult-survey/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yeah, that takeaway fella who is not doing his business at morning or evening peak rush hour, and nor are the car dealerships, when the benefits of the original plans might have seen fruit were given too much credence

• Advertisement

Some of the people wouldn't wear it. The public consultation was clear in support for the original plan, and we'll see how the impact of disrupting the cemetery goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

I'm not overly familiar with the area but proposing to route cycling infrastructure through a cemetery seems like something out of a Monty Python sketch. It shows the lengths we are willing to go to to pander to a minority of people wedded to the concept that there should be zero restrictions on where they and their cars / urban tanks should be entitled to drive and park.

Until it is becomes policy or accepted in a more widespread manner that the least efficient and most polluting mode of transport is the one should be inconvenienced when there are conflicts like this we will continue to be left with ridiculously designed and unused "safe cycling" infrastructure.

On an unrelated point I note that the SDCC are proposing a two way cycle on Butterfield Avenue as part of the Dodder Greenway. Given the current level of on street parking on that road I look forward to objections from the local SUV mafia.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Indeed, punishment passes from motorists for cyclists who have the cheek not to use the brand new cycle lane their Road Tax has paid for (even if it's going in the wrong direction)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Exactly this. This stuff actually puts cyclists more at risk.

Better to leave as is and wait until there is a proper solution than to put something in that no one will use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was somewhere around Sandyford/The Beacon type area the other day and there were bike lanes on the footpath that looked ok but for some reason they were designed as if we drive on the right hand side here - anyone know what that's all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i.e. a 2-way path with the arrows indicating you cycle on the right hand side?

I've seen that in a few places, so I guess some council cycle manual recommends it in certain circumstances. Here in Greystones they have it on the lanes along the seafront, alongside a one-way street; possibly they don't want people cycling against the flow of motor-traffic right beside the traffic lane, but that's me speculating. It's a stupid arrangement IMO, whatever risks it supposedly alleviates are outweighed by the potential for confusion - we drive and cycle on the left in Ireland, it needs to be applied consistently.

Think a lot of the new infrastructure around Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown are like that. I suppose it makes some sense, in that when you reach a junction, you just keep going, rather than crossing the trajectory of people cycling the other way to get onto the on-road cycle track. But the on-road cycle track is just a symptom of the way they haven't properly designed or adapted the junction for people on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

@AndrewJRenko

Here you go.

you can clearly see the truck has pushed down the wand thingys. I’ll complain to Supervalue in the morning. What good that will do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You're better off putting it up on twitter and tagging some cycling groups and Dublin commuter coalition. A bit of backlash might make them do something about it. Probably not though.

Advertisement