Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra - December 7th/8th 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Yes I'm looking forward to that as I was asleep this morning in the first peack winds, starting to get gusty here in carrick on Shannon looks to be only the beginning of it, flooding by morning can be expected heavy trainlines of rain will feed in from this storm

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

The wind was easing alright a while ago but is ramping up again with showers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

The wind is howling up the road here in Aughrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

There may well be trees down across roads, and outstanding power outages, and a whole bunch of other issues in the morning. Teachers and students can (and do) live many miles from schools. Many people combine a school run with part of their commute. The driver of the school bus has to get from home to the bus depot.

It doesn't take much to knock everything out of whack - two or three teachers can't get in in time because of blocked roads, a load of students are late getting in for the same reason, a few buses are running late or cancelled, and before you know it there's chaos and not a lot of teaching going on.

I really wish people would stop and engage their brains for 5 minutes before assuming that professionals haven't already spent quite a bit of time figuring this stuff out. Nothing is ever as simple or easy or "common sense" as they might think. The aphorism "For every problem there is a solution that is simple, neat—and wrong" was never more apt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Davaeo21

strongest gusts of the day! Tullaroan Kilkenny! less sustained but the gusts are intense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Storm Barra at Poolbeg Lighthouse as the sun broke through today.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Getting gusty in SW Donegal. But normal for here. I wonder will we see it get up to the orange level territory? As far as I can make out no where today justified a red level alert (apart from a few exposed headlines in remote areas and lighthouses, no populated areas had gusts greater than 120kmph).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Any info on how Lahinch did with this phase of the storm? I need to find a weather station in that area to fill in the gap between Shannon and Athenry, neither one is really that similar to conditions in some parts of Clare (at times). Thanks and post in the technical thread if you have anything to share about this (or cross-post it).

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Went out to Tramore and just like this morning not worth it. This evening hardly anything coming over the prom. Watch for branches and debris on the roads though.

Stormy again in Arklow

Gusting 80 westerly

And raining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭maebee

Limerick/Clare border. Barra calmed down between 7 and 8 o' clock but for the past half hour he's back with a bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Does every yellow wind warning you experience have a yellow centre with an orange layer and a spicy red outer coating?

No, it doesn't. Use your head, would you? Authorities reluctant to call complete orange or complete red? How do they win? They can't. Schools in Lucan closed, schools in Celbridge open. Car squashed by tree outside Celbridge school.

Eyrecourt in Galway orange, North Offaly yellow. Yet it's wild as f*CK here.

Use your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭denismc

Looks like the worst is over in the South West but Galway-Sligo are still taking a beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I think the general consensus is that yes it was a windy day but no where near as severe as forecasted by Met E or those on here who dare not be questioned. When folk are using a few strong gusts on exposed remote headlines,which weren't even that spectacular, to say that red levels were warranted, you know that those who consider this a non event are correct.

I blame the media and the Met E meteorologists who crave attention for whipping up a frenzy. Its such a shame. They have diluted and dumbed down good decent weather watching and forecasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Evergreen_7

Taking a right ole beating in mayo

Since there has been a fair amount of chat about school closings, I would say that the problem is inevitable if county by county basis of warnings is the criterion because the weather forecasters will set a level that they think is going to verify somewhere in the county (where people live) and once they have done that, any sort of regional differences are really out of their control since the system is not broken down into smaller subdivisions. One solution to that might be to divide most counties into several parts based on climatology, then the school authorities in those areas would have their guidance on a more local basis. The other possible solution is to accept a certain number of closings and plan ahead for learning modules that students could take home the previous day or access on the internet the same day, for all I would know this might already be in place. I realize it's a difficult situation for parents whose own daily jobs might not get cancelled along with the schools. And while not professionally employed as a forecaster, I've done enough of this to realize that meteorologists really don't want to be social policemen any more than anyone else does. But the alternative to this system is probably no system where people get into risky situations, or call in the parents halfway through the storm which is a worse than useless approach since by definition that will expose more people to risk.

I'm sure there will be changes made eventually towards a finer grid of warnings, some of your counties are quite large and have considerable differences in weather. This is not a mystery to forecasters at all, but they are given a system to feed and have no direct say in it anyway. I imagine it's a political decision as to what forms the foundation of the warning system. At the very least, Cork could be divided into perhaps three regions, and Galway also. Some other counties could use two regions, and some smaller ones could stay as one unit. That might help although it might also become more chaotic or confusing. There's always going to be boundaries between where warnings are needed and not needed. Sometimes it is two sides of a street, and nobody can get that precise in offering weather forecasts or warnings.

What we try to do in the weather forum is to encourage people to fine tune all forecasts to their local conditions, through their own experience. Once you've established what the large-scale factors are likely to be, then your local exposure is quite important to the outcome, especially for wind speeds. Some places are often sheltered from strong winds from certain directions. But with the warning system you have to keep in mind also what you are trying to avoid is travel, not just to get people to stay home but more importantly to avoid travel because travel inevitably means exposure to different levels of risk. Your home may be in a safe spot and the school may be in a safe spot too, but how about the road between them? That sort of thing applied to thousands of people in different locations is part of the reason for county-wide warnings. And the philosophy is probably skewed towards saving one life or preventing one injury. This is of course the same problem we're all having around the world with the COVID protocols, at what point is the social response worse than the risk of the illness? This is always a balancing of different interests and I would agree it has not always been done in the best possible way. You can err on both sides of any safety question. Some will always say well if you save one life etc, problem being that life is a bit more complex and you can't quantify the total results of any intervention. For example people say things like "Ophelia had those red warnings and only x number of people died" but obviously that is almost answering its own objection, how many people would have died without any warnings? Nobody knows, except that you can compare results to long past events where warnings were not issued. From that sort of analysis, modern tornado warnings in the USA are found to be about 90% effective in terms of reducing death tolls. Similar tornado outbreaks before warnings were available tended to kill ten times as many people per target area of tornadoes of similar strength. The same thing has been shown for hurricane warnings. But at the same time, building standards improve, so part of the reduced death toll can be ascribed to that factor rather than the warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

It was the strongest storm I've seen in my part of Kerry in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Lights flickering here in carrick on Shannon I've flasks filled and candles at the ready

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

There are lull periods now in cork city and then suddenly strong gusts hitting the house again before going back to a lull period and then heavy showers and repeat. This is how it'll be for the night I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Wild here in West Galway. There was a few gusts there around 8:30 which seemed more powerful than before - will be interesting to see the Mace Head reading for 8-9pm

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

Wild rotten evening in mayo. Dangerous to be outside at the moment

Hey sryanbruen, all my BINGO cards are full, where do I claim my prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

True. I was in Cork city today, the "red zone". Literally saw people walking their doggy in the wind. Total damage: one wheely bin knocked over at around 10am this morn.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind ramping back up in Greystones now. Very gusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

The heaviest gusts of the evening in the last 20 minutes in West Mayo after a relatively less-intense 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Still wild here in Limerick, Barra's been at it all day. Our strongest gusts seemed to be between 5 to 7pm but still some strong gusts blowing around at times. Wouldn't surprise me if some roads are impassable from fallen trees and debris.

Advertisement