Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kieran Creaven at it again..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'd want to kill myself after a few years of that.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

There's many more that would happily assist him. A vile vile creature he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

He will go on to reoffend upon release, he should be dashed upon the rocks. This kind of thing is why we should have an occasional death penalty case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah I think I remember that case, didn't he get a bit of a hiding before the Guards arrived?

• Advertisement

No. Because I know the guy that caught him. Bit of a tosser but would have killed him if they knew the exact details of what he did to those 2 young children.

The guys that came upon him weren't exactly sure what was going on, but knew they had to hold him for the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Undeniably so. I feel genuine pity for those people who are paedophiles who've never acted on the urges or impulses. For those on thread who don't seem to understand, it's a sexual preference not somebody who's committed a sexual crime. I've no doubt there are thousands of people in Ireland who have those attractions who have never done anything untoward, what an awful awful situation that must be.

To be crystal clear, I feel ZERO sympathy and nothing but disgust to those who DO act on those impulses.

EDIT: I quoted the wrong user who'd quoted the poster who'd originally said the above. Point still stands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Good point and one that is rarely mentioned. I would guess that just because you have that sexual preference does not mean that you lack empathy. IMO guys Creaven are sociopaths along with being a paedophile. Someone could have that attraction but be unable emotionally to inflict that physical damage onto a child. Must be a constant torment and it's not as if you could confide it with anyone.

I would guess figures are not really available as it is not something anyone would admit to.

Yeah even writing a post about it here is probably viewed with suspicion. It's not talked about even though it must be a very real part of our society. Nevertheless I feel I must state that I am fortunate enough not to be in that position, and don't know of anybody who openly is, as you said it's not something anybody would admit to. In all likelihood I do know somebody in that situation who I just don't know that that's how they feel. The fear must be immense, not something anybody could admit to, even to closest friends or family. To be honest, I don't know how I'd react if a close friend told me that's how they felt. I'd like to think I'd accept that they can't help it etc etc, but it's one of the last taboos. I think Louis Theroux did a documentary some years back on it.

Would depend on whether said friend was a parent or worked with kids or not for me.

• Advertisement

Do you really believe those who don't act out on their urges in real life also don't look for images and videos of it on the dark web to get themselves off?

Well thats what I believe they do and behind every image and vidoe is a real victim.

Calling it a sexual preference is a bit of a strange one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The question is does it matter if they work with kids if they never let it affect their job?

That said of course I would not be inclined to leave my kids alone with them

I have to believe that, yes. I can't believe the country is awash with people searching for illicit images of children. There's got to be people who are aware of their sexual attractions, know the morality of it, do their all not to succumb to it. There must be people with a strong moral compass who are unfortunate enough to be paedophiles.

Also I'm no fool and I'm sure there are many people who've never acted on impulses in real life who do indeed get off on what they can find online, and I'm in total agreement with you that behind every image and video is a victim, of course there is. I'm not excusing or condoning it in any fashion.

I'm sorry if my wording is wrong, sexual preference? What would you call it? Sexual attraction maybe?

Heterosexual. ADJECTIVE

1. (of a person) sexually attracted to people of the opposite sex.

paedophile

[ˈpiːdə(ʊ)fʌɪl]

NOUN

1. a person who is sexually attracted to children.

Should the terminology be changed? To I dunno, paedosexual?? Which it shouldn't be of course because it links sexuality to children and all the connotations are just wrong. Just happens that the impact of the word paedophile automatically is presumptuous of guilt of wrongdoing I think.

EDIT:

Also, absolutely if it was confided to me by somebody about their sexual attraction to minors, you can be damn sure I won't be leaving my children in their care, regardless of how well I know the person.

There was a programme on C4 a few months ago about the activity of paedophiles online and they said even with a whole department who's sole job it is to track these guys its still only the tip of the iceberg and that means a lot of them will never be caught.

While a lot of them were accessing the dark web a lot more were targeting children on apps that are aimed for young people and if its going on there you can be sure its the same here where the Gardai don't have the resources the UK cops have.

You're probably right in saying that some of them would never act on it or look for it on the web but unfortunately from watching that programme it seems most of them do.

• There’s a documentary on YouTube I think that does interview people who are attracted to kids but haven’t actively done anything to harm them where they talk about what it’s like to be that kind of person and the challenges they face. I think while valuable it would be very difficult to ask people to have an open mind towards someone who does find kids attractive, the more information we can learn from them the better supports that can be offered to offenders or people with the potential to offend so they don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Really?

I thought they all still went to Arbour Hill which is predominantly male sex offenders?

Very little trouble i was told by an officer (while doing a job there) 25 years ago, as any prisoner's biggest fear is being moved out to a mainstream prison.

He may very well be there now Andrea. I was speaking to a chap that works as a prison guard in Castlerea. It was while there that this was the practice. He was in Portlaoise and Castlerea this of course was possibly pre trial

He was only released from Castlerea 3 days before this.

Its hard as a human being let alone a parent to read this article and not be enraged

But it's only the tip of the iceberg. This Creaven scumbag is no better. He might have had a better job but he's every bit as bad

No, but I'd find it a little easier to sleep at night if they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Yip, ftom some reading there, seems they are sending them elsewhere now as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was aware of coverage of him previously. I found, however, the articles in recent days detailing his actions utterly stomach churning. It's unimaginable what this does to the poor kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JJKC

The reason people hate those Pedo Hunter groups is that they are the same kind of "far right" people who support Gemma O'Doherty & Justin Barrett

Ultimately, and the fact that there is the law and due course. I'm not on bookface but I recall there being a "sting" that I seen. One of the few. Ultimately they "caught" someone that's well known I the town, not for being a pedophile, but for being mentally retarded.

The whole thing felt off. Something about Anto and deco baiting someone that's got significant mental impairment doesn't feel right. That's not to say someone of diminished mentally capacity isn't a danger to others, but there's due course and a right way tondo things.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JJKC

Yeah I recall something about them catching a 20 something yo autistic lad that was meeting up with a 14yo girl but the thing was that he only wanted to meet her to talk about Pokémon, nothing sexual whatsoever but he was an easy target.

This case I'm referring to was elderly man in athlone. Not quite as simple as your example but none the less, it didn't feel right.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't drive him into the ground if he were actually interfering with my child but, there's a reason why we have laws and courts

I don't doubt the intention of these people are good bit it doesn't make it necessarily right

• Registered Users Posts: 18,870 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The vast majority of men these vigilante groups catch seem to be either isolated loners living on benefits or people with learning difficulties or on the autism spectrum.

Creaven was very much out of the ordinary in being middle class, well educated, well travelled, with a high profile job etc (I guess the argument would be that someone with even a modicum of intelligence wouldn't be stupid enough to be entrapped in a sting by a bunch of semi literate yobs and chavs). It's debatable whether these guys are doing any good for society whatsoever.

They did indeed but I'd say they simply got lucky. The vast majority of men they catch seem to be very isolated types, not very intelligent, often on benefits for years etc. Creaven was completely out of the ordinary - it was good that he was caught and jailed, but his high profile was very unusual for these type of groups. The vigilantes themselves are usually from run down areas or rough housing estates, as can be seen in any documentary about them.

And is it not good that they caught the isolated, unintelligent types aswell. They generally have a trail of correspondence between the "child" and the "nonce" that demonstrates that they sent explicit pics and engaged in inappropriate chat after they knew the age of the "child". There shouldn't be an opening for these groups as the Police should be filling it. The fact that there is an opening shows that they are needed.

It's debatable how much the isolated loner / misfit types pose to children or to society. Perhaps the only people who will even engage with these individuals on social media or give them the time of day are the vigilantes themselves? Therefore the groups are 'preventing' crimes that were probably never even going to happen.

• Advertisement

• I mean just by virtue of having a conversation with a minor as an adult - and specifically one of a sexual nature is a crime. It doesn’t matter if it’s “fantasy” if you tell someone you even THINK is under 18 that you will/want to/wish to/whatever do something sexually with them you have committed a crime.

you don’t ever have to meet them you just have to say it.

Advertisement