Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra - December 7th/8th 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,559 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Orange weather warnings mean schools have to close. Even when the warning ends before school starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭deezell

On the RTE 9.00 news the giddy reporters were referring to Storm Barra as "She" and "Her", but Storm Barra is a bloke. It was named after a man, who is not, afaik, trans or fluid or whatever the terminology is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

And this time they were extremely accurate. But the naysayers will never admit it.

Thankfully they will have gone back to the anti covid / conspiracy threads by Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Winds starting to pick up in Louth big time. Heavy rain here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Theres photos on twitter of trees fallen on to school yards in Kerry and Limerick. Theres also several reports of trees down near rural schools in other parts of the country. If schools were open we could possible dealing with dead kids tonight. But sure its only abit of wind right??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

Yea I remember those days too under another identity. And the threads during the big snow. Great fun and camaraderie. And the Aviation thread keeping an eye on planes trying to land during storms and transferring to other airports etc. No point-scoring or moaning or why this and why that. Just an entertaining chat forum between like minded people. It's the same now everywhere you go on social media, people venting and looking for fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Funny, it's the same people that would be queuing outside a solicitor's office if something happened to their precious darling in school during a storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Any chance of a weather update seen as this is a weather thread?

Moany Feckers back to the covid forum with ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Storm 10

He was on the news at 1pm on RTE1 they tried every thing to get him to say it was climate change but he was having none of it and said we get these weather events on a regular basis nothing new , the reporter said that the Green Eamon Ryan said it was climate change and again he said it was not fair play to him.

This, during Ophelia people got killed with trees falling on cars when they were going home from work,in Lordship where the wind "wasn't that bad". They would be the first ones screaming and bawling that nothing was done if they kept the school's opened and something happened to a child. It's a day or two off school. It's not the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭JPup

Yeah but in Dublin where I am the wind hasn't really been much to write home about. Not so much as a flower pot overturned in the garden. Wheelie bins still standing. No trees or branches down anywhere near me.

Closing schools for two days is a big deal. It shouldn't be done on a whim. As things stand now, Met Eireann is advising for a yellow weather warning in Dublin for the entire duration of the school day tomorrow. If kids were in danger of dying like you are suggesting, shouldn't that be a red warning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No its not . I wont dream of sueing anyone but this is absolutely ridiculous to inform people at 9 pm that schools are closed . People are now scrambling to find childcare , people have to work you know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I'm going to the Covid thread to talk about the weather. See how they like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Few tiles came off roof in local school today, and they were open.

So, luckily the children were inside at the time

Watching the street lights to see if it was sleet or snow. The good auld days 💖

This also confirms how rubbish much of the curriculum is when schools can afford to take so many days off.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,573 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd be more concerned that a falling tree would fall in through the open window in the school, after bouncing off the closed windows in the crèche next door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I would love to just talk about the weather but the school situation is infuriating. I live in Donegal, we get windy weather. It is normal this time of year.

Met Eireann are doing a good job of forecasting but once dept of education got involved schools didn't have much choice.

I will drive from Donegal to NI tomorrow to a school. Conditions will no doubt be stormy but nothing I haven't experienced on numerous occasions. That is going by the Met Eireann forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Because schools will then have to go in and make sure there is no damage, and clear any debris that may be in the school grounds. They cant be sure this can be done before 9am or if there's damage they'll then have to close the school anyway.

As a parent id much rather know now, rather then find out after my child has already left for school, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Are you sure there is no damage? Dublin didnt seem that bad, but yet there is falling trees and flying trampolines all over the county!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 kkel

I would love if this storm gave us a bit of snow, id love to wake up to lying snow!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Absolutely. The school year could definitely be condensed down a bit and room made for longer summer holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Some of these lads are moving out, while slowly, might be slower when they get west of the land, they must be expecting the weather ok by morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

In Clare this storm is bigger than any we've had since Darwin, Ophelia was big but for a while but it passed quickly. The sustained nature of this strong wind here makes it different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RuuupShligo

It's incredibly stormy in sligo tonight. Schools should of course have been closed many trees down and the road was covered in debris at 7.30 pm when I was travelling to work the nightshift. I'll be tired tomorrow and trying g to look after my children but rather that than drive them to school in dangerous conditions. Schools closed mean less people on the roads and less danger.

I suppose the point is the blanket county order. The vast majority of Dublin was grand. It was a very windy day.

If there was localised issues, a principal can make a call on their own individual school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Sure they are all gone to Coppers tonight........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

The football rolled back across my drive again all is well. Thanks met Éireann for costing businesses thousands today.

Advertisement