Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

The vaccines may be somewhat effective in reducing transmission BUT to a execute a public digital lockout system and run a campaign of official disapproval/scapegoating around people who won't take them is taking the piss big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I’m not advocating a hate campaign but if transmission is reduced by taking the vaccine then it stands to reason people that chose not to take the vaccine spread the virus more, hence public health measures have to be applied accordingly.

By the way the elephant in the room is just how much virus is coming out of schools where kids cannot take the vaccine.

Im not sure how much virus is coming out of schools but I presume stats are all over the place on this as contact tracing has stopped in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭bladespin

timmyntc10:50 am

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118282967#Comment_118282967

It was never a deadly infectionf for the majority. It is the percentage of the population with an inability to fight it off that we are protecting.

Covid jabs and boosters do not stop you from spreading the virus. The only way to truly keep vulnerable people safe is by getting yourself tested regularly before seeing them.

Your response/:

Vaccines reduce transmission.

How are we still debating this!

timmyntc is absolutely right, the only sure way is testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

And I agree! I wasn’t disagreeing with him.

Im pointing out the vaccine reduces transmission?

If you were engaging in practices which led to TB Reactors on your farm the Farmers around you would not be long informing the Department and if you lined out for the local GAA match they'd be skelping you on the pitch. They wouldn't put up with your protestations of "free will paramount above all else".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭bladespin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Indeed, but pedantic point; cowpox wasn't a "cure" for smallpox. It was a very similar mild virus that gave immunity to the much more serious smallpox. And where we get the word vaccination, vacca = cow in latin.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Human beings aren't reactor animals though. The former have Constitutional protections, dignity, the right to earn a living and to engage in commerce. Plus we aren't even talking about banning "reactor" human beings from pubs and restaurants and gyms, but healthy people who have the potential to be x or y % more transmissible than other healthy people (maybe, the proof of this looks elusive to me - especially the way the transmission figures jump around wildly from study to study) in the hypothetical event that any of these people were actually ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I'd have to get the first couple shots to get the booster - but I ain't done that. I'm unvaxxed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I'm okay with it, I didn't make the decision to remove anyone for anything, just thought it was odd enough to mention

• Advertisement

The rights of individual Citizens to exercise their own free will has been overridden where the interests of Society prevail. This is not something new.

A lady is before the courts at the moment because she can't get it through her thick skull that she needs to wear a mask when visiting the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭corkie

People due to receive their booster Covid vaccine this week will only be offered the Moderna dose at mass vaccination centres.

It is understood the HSE has supplies of Moderna that are due to expire next month, so the vaccine will be administered widely over the coming weeks.

Centres are currently offering boosters of Pfizer or Moderna to people aged 60-69, healthcare workers, and younger people in vulnerable groups.

Health Minister Stephen Donnelly said last night that the rollout of boosters for the 50-59 age cohort will start this week. This is expected to expand to all over-50s no later than the end of next week.

A HSE spokeswoman said yesterday: “To ensure that we maximise the usage of all Covid-19 vaccine available, vaccination centres will primarily use Moderna vaccine for booster doses to persons aged 30 years and over in the coming weeks.”

Under-30s will continue to only receive Pfizer as a booster, she said.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm perfectly happy to take a booster, but it will be one of my choice. If I don't have that choice, no booster for me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wanes world

Wanes world

Booster time

Excellent

Wanes world...

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Just got an appointment for a booster jab in Citywest this week. Anyone know what the queues are like these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Nope, only got the two jabs so I could get on a plane again and travel as I please.

until you need more than 2 to get into another country or into the pub I won’t be near it and neither will any of my social circle or family from recent discussions.

all Bs in the news about how many people “want to get the booster”

• Registered Users Posts: 25,465 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Received an SMS saying I’m booked in for the vaccine booster at the national show center later this week... happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭patnor1011

What little benefit re reducing transmission vaccines offer is negated by "I am allright Jack" attitude of vaccinated people who do not get tested even though they clearly develop some symptoms. And even when they are close contact of known covid case they are not required to take test or reduce movements. That was the reality of last few months and that is what got a lot of people infected and reinfected.

People simply lock themselves out...

you don’t get into Croke Park without a ticket, you don’t get onto an aircraft without a boarding pass... why ? Safety amongst other reasons... in a deadly pandemic you don’t get to do certain things without a vaccine cert.... so people know you are protected, most likely safe...therefore staff and fellow patrons will be too.

i can’t wait for my booster in a few days now after getting my txt today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,923 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'm probably not going to bother with a booster, maybe sometime next year I might change my mind but I'll take my chances without it. Vaccines didn't see an end to this so I'd highly doubt boosters will either

I don't feel protected by these measures, I find them disproportionate, excessive and a little effeminate tbh.

For instance we're currently waiting for researchers to discover whether Omicron is harmless or whether it is the emodiment of 'our worst fears' (Martin). In other words we're retaining certs in case a hypothetical danger turns out to be a real danger. We're not shielding ourselves from danger, we're shielding ourselves from the possibility of danger. This is the precautionary principle on crack and heroin.

With such a low bar set for being in a State of Emergency its hard to see it fizzling out. They won't seriously expand ICU either, basically claiming it can't be done.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It’s a question of number, 20 vaccinated lads at a trading session is a lower risk proposition than a mix or all unvaccinated, the same with a pub, a club, a stadium or letting hordes of tourists into the country. You can argue all you want about individual situations and outcomes but it is the overall outcomes that will be the decision points. Part of learning to live with this virus is playing the numbers game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

The vaccine program is a Trainwreck imo

98% of some African nations haven't got the first jab

We'll be boosting here in the west to protect against new variants from the unvaccinated poor countries for the next 10 years

It's a complete mess which of course benefits the pharma outfits

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

And what's the rate of pulmonary embolism in those who get the vaccine versus the rate in those who get Covid?

• Advertisement

Why haven’t they had the jabs ? Is it because the absolute train wreck of corruption for decades in many of the African countries does not lend to their financial ability to vaccinate ?

There is also major vaccine hesitancy, not only amongst the general population but also healthcare workers....only one in four healthcare workers are fully vaccinated...

we just need to get ourselves vaccinated and boosted and worry about whatever else from wherever else later.

Advertisement