Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra - December 7th/8th 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does anyone watch Windy.com website?

I was just checking and heard Donegal was for a battering from 2am.

It would appear the west coast of the county is going to get the brunt of it, here in North Inishowen it looks like we might be getting lesser winds?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I haven't gone through this thread in depth so I don't know if this was suggested already..

The closing of a massive number of schools for 2 days- is there any chance it was a Covid circuit breaker?

There was already rumours of schools shutting on the 17th for Christmas for that reason.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Anyone remember about 2 weeks ago huge winds during the night, house rocking, etc and nothing in the morning?

Barely noticed as people were asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Windy and wet but not exceptionally so on either count - coastal SW donegal

not going to join in the stupid met Éireann pile on but it’s just not that interesting/impressive a storm here anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Not sure why you're asking about covid and schools in a weather thread 🙄

Lashing down and heavy gusts in Louth. The attic is creaking. Didn't notice it as bad this morning. Trampoline safely secured with bags of coal holding it down. Well fingers crossed 🤞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Really ramping up in SW Donegal. Some notable gusts. And it's the length of them that's interesting. Surely after all the focus on the South West it won't be Sligo or Donegal that gets the highest gusts??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭circadian

Fairly sustained gusts here in D9. It was wild yesterday morning from about 5am - 9am but this feels wilder.

A lot of the south and west coasts must be getting battered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Davaeo21

having been much calmer for the last hour, it really is doing its best to make more noise again now! Misty/sleety driving rain too

Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Really getting bad here in carrick on Shannon, violent storm force winds off the northwest for the next 6 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

livening up in cork city again

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Picking up another bit in NE Galway. Fairly gusty out.

The storm moaning down the chimney would be drowned out if all the moaning on this thread was vocalised out loud. First there's the moaners, then all the people moaning about moaners. And here I am moaning about the moaners moaning about the moaners.

Nice to turn everything off, including the phone, look into the open fire, and listen to the storm.

Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

barely a puff in clonmel, it was a bit windy earlier today but nothing to write home about thankfully.

Amazing to think places only a few miles away are getting hammered, you'd never no it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Worst wind in Sligo for years. Sustained force and driving rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Was so eager to follow this storm thread, from early this morn and only catching up now. I havnt been on Boards for ages but the total 💩 that I don't recall seeing as much of before is just awful.It really should just be an "after hours" thread at this stage. I wouldn't be bothered posting any updates about local conditions ,but thanks An Ri Rua for speaking for many of us occasional weather event drop ins

I'm based in Dublin with elderly relatives on the West Coast, so early weather warnings on here are a godsend, so I can give them a heads up on weather conditions. If people need to vent about schools being closed, then go organise a march down O'Connell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Looks like its gonna be like that for the next few hours, even here in carrick abit in land is having it bad

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hi over in Achill... All safe here apart from GBH of the ears. Opening doors is VERBOTEN. Please stay IN. There was one time before I knew that that the gale grabbed the door with me attached and flung me across the yard.. Narrowly missed my head against a wall.

The power has held. So far, slept with exhaustion and painkillers!

Shake rattle etc at a high rate.

How much longer please?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

At the moment, the wind here in Dublin 16 is much much stronger than last nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's an impressively complex system. I think is been quite hard to model exactly what it is was going to do. I'm just amazed at the sheer scale of it and how chaotic the wind direction has been as it continues to move slowly on.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Wind is rattling the place here in Kildare. Maybe it’s the silence of the night but it feels the worst so far to me. Sitting up with the youngest who woke up convincing him that ‘our house is supa strong’

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I wouldn't have said it was chaotic at all. As a shaped cyclone goes, its a perfect example, very defined and the winds are exactly following the characteristics of a deep low. Its just atypically slow as a moving system.

From a casual observer point of view, the frequent changes of weather today were very chaotic. The overall model may not be, but from a purely local weather perspective many experienced multiple wind direction changes in short time frame, minor flooding, heavy rain, as well as even wintery downpours in the NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Just in from checking cats, sheds etc.

Tullamore area. Elevated, exposed site.

Haven't heard galvanise hayshed protest so much in years. It's the sustained length of the gusts. Feels and sound like it would rip the roof off.. Hard to breathe.into the gale, like being up on a mountain in heavy wind. It's no joke out there. I had curved roof tiles covering an outdoor extension cable. The wind lifted some of the tiles? Off the ground. That's pretty mad.

Have there been worse storms? Yes. But this one feels uncertain and like there's a lot more juice in the tank yet.

All those pooh-poohing weather like that mustn't have to watch over animals or sheds or old folk. Or give a damn about homeless people. That's a very rough night, albeit probably only a slight draught when you're on the sofa pontificating. A night like that will have any farmer worried.

Give me deep snow any day. Wind is too dangerous and unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Some severe gusts here in SW Donegal. I collected mother at 11.30pm as it was getting very strong and I don't want her on her own with no power. Nephew also said that winds in west Dublin are severe tonight. Could the sting in the tail be that the NW gets the highest gusts?

Thanks and I intend to! The door stays CLOSED and locked until this has passed. Darkness out here is scary and intense and disorienting. Learned that the hard way years ago.

Only one cat still out and he is a wild critter so will be snugged in somewhere. The others are all asleep!

Time for a pit stop; socks food, hwb. I had hoped it would be over by now.

Stay safe and take no risks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

North County Dublin up on a hill, wind sounds much stronger than yesterday. Lots of noises outside....that bothers me. Opening doors a no no, wind coming from the SW directly onto the back of the house.

Time for tea and toast while the cricket has stopped for lunch.

Advertisement