Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra - December 7th/8th 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

North Inishowen still relatively quiet. Some lashing rain and winds but nothing out of the ordinary. It was windier a few days back.

From what I can decipher of the Windy website, I think we will be getting stronger winds later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 PukkaPad

Absolutely wild here in D24! Can't sleep as Barra bates down the house. Some things moved around the garden that we thought were secured!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TracyMartell

Can’t sleep with the noise of the wind in D15. I’m in a fairly sheltered housing estate too. I think I heard one of my bins go for a wander but that’s a problem for future me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Bins took a wander in D5 so I took a wander ...yay. definitely stronger than yesterday mornings effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sorted. Actually the kitchen is quieter than in here ....but a terrible drafty window.

SHEESH. Hard stuff being hurled on the window. I checked briefly, and it is hail verging on snow

All stoked up! Bacon butties with honey,,,, mmm. Hot water bottle filled and at my back... Next painkillers were due so all will be easier.

But I cannot get through to family in BC Canada; the Canadian operator voice answers. I have asked our BC forecaster what is happening, ie MT

The online rte summary is excellent. Some eejits raking risks. But so many strong precautions etc . Thinking of our wonderful emergency services. And ESB

And cat number 5 is back home,,, hunger does the job.

So all is well. And there is no place I would rather be than out here in the ocean, safe and snug. Happy in... and looking forward to first light to see SNOW. I have harboured a long ambition to make one last snowman... maybe this year...

Stay safe and well... Blessings and peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Very windy out in Kildare. Have to get up and drive now to work. Not looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭I says

Wide awake. Boss informed me no going to work if weather is still as bad at 6am. Raining constantly and prolonged gusts of wind from west north west.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

srry folks. reduced to a wreck by unjustified aggression here and cannot face opening threads any more. Too ill and just too much.

:Last straw

Stay safe; blessings and peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Take it easy Grace, chill and hunker down with that HWB and catch some zzz's if you can.

Tomorrow will be a bright new day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This is a bizaare take from someone who has been a longtime contributor here, and was enthusiastic about understanding and forecasting severe weather events (which this one is). I don't know what's it to Met Éireann, or meteorology in general, what a particular govt department do with their schools as a response.

Have you been following the buildup to this at all? NOAA marked this storm as having hurricane-force winds right off our coast earlier today. The damn "thing" then practically stalls over Ireland. Why are "school closures" your contribution here? There was an overreaction to Ophelia for sure, based on the criteria Met Éireann are working off, but the models and verified data so far confirm most of the weather warnings issued before. Is this a weather discussion or a society/education/risk attitude discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

My school and many others were always due to finish term on the 17th.

I pop in here to read updates from knowledgeable posters whenever there is a weather event. Something has gone wrong somewhere because this thread has made for painful reading. Between moaning, conspiracies, "I'm entitled to my opinion-ers" and endless jokes about footballs blowing away etc it's lucky if 10% of the posts are weather related.

Prolonged gusts in North Dublin are making sleep difficult. I can hear lots of bins taking a wander

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Lying awake in North Mayo, the sustained wind level is making sleep impossible. Something in the garden is banging around, not looking forward to seeing the damage in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Very very windy here in Westport has been for the last few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Still very windy in Sligo - it's been howling since about 7pm last night - hard to sleep with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Was insanely windy in D14 around 2-3am but now it's just a strong gusty winter morning. They've set a very dangerous precedent that people will expect schools to be closed for this little wind in January and February and probably for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Genuinely feel we need a ‘major’ weather thread in after hours or current affairs and a weather only related thread here. Particularly since you can’t transfer posts within forum

This is the worst I’ve ever seen. And I really hope posters who got frustrated will return

To get on topic it was a wild night in north Kildare. Woke our youngest for a period of time. Can’t quite see the garden but despite securing everything there was a lot of noise. Hopefully from the neighbours garden! We had already lost a fence panel to Barra yesterday so hopefully nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Power gone off here in s.e.sligo. the ESB guys sure have a busy day ahead of them. Still blowing a Hoollie with added hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BlockPartee

I haven't heard such strong winds like this before. Surprised it's only a yellow warning. Wide awake here in West Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Same in Louth.really wild gusts. I've country roads to travel on this morning and I'm not looking forward to it. There has to be trees down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Driven from south Kildare to Dublin and it's definitely more windy this morning, no site cranes working again today, I hope you and the furballs are keeping well Grace, one of ours arrived in at 2.30 this morning with a live mouse in its mouth, thankfully I slept through the commotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Flying back from the States, about 45 minutes to landing, bit of turbelence but nothing out of the ordinary so far. Going by reports it will be bumpy on approach

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Just a normal morning in North Donegal. I think we must of missed the worst of the storm up here for a change.

I see alot of animosity lately to any suggestions by people in charge of making decisions about safety. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

But the social media circus that Rte and other broadcasters make of these storms only add to the nonsense. Covid must of disappeared for yesterday.

Still very windy in Arklow gusting 80

Overnight high gust of 98.2kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

Not a,'very little wind' where I am. At this point I would be getting my eldest lad on to a bus, thankfully I don't have to. Hopefully there isn't much more of this to go.

Time to curl up on the couch with the dog and wait for this to pass fully. Am intrigued by Grace's bacon and honey butties, may have to have a go at one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dr Fred

It’s all about scaring and infantilising the general public. Not a puff of wind in Dublin this morning and all schools closed ? Madness !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

blowing an absolute hooley in sw donegal. hoping theres no damage when it gets light. power still on for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Worst storm since I've moved into my top/4th floor apartment 2.5 years ago in Sligo. One window here in an unused bedroom has needed to be replaced for a while but I put it on the long finger. It blew open last night, I think around 530am.

Mercifully managed to secure it shut using nails and nylon 6lb fishing line. I'm on the bed here beside it in case in flies open again. Honestly just feel so relieved that I had fishing line and could do a temporary fix, it is holding up well so far so fingers crossed should hold until the storm passes.

However some of the concrete facade of the window beside it which was cracked has flown off and part of my window frame is exposed ot the elements. That will need to be solved at some point.

My whole apartment/building is creaking, some incredibly violent gusts here. I honestly feared that the whole roof might blow off. Scary ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

Woken at 4 in D12, howling wind & rain. Still very gusty.

Advertisement