Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra - December 7th/8th 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I'm curious how people on here who are bitching about schools creches being closed cope when one of the kids wakes in the morning and says they are sick.

Must throw their plans right out but who they moan at then.

Whoever said if their precious kids were hit by a flying slate while going to school would be straight down to the ambulance chasing lawyers was spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Sirens going off now in Sligo town, also heard building alarms going off earlier, as you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,520 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Looks like a lot of Galway escaped. Didn't seem too bad here at all - west of city. No doubt coastal areas in the county were hit hard.

North Sligo here. Electricity gone in surrounding areas but thankfully still on here. Made fresh flasks of water and porridge for my parents as theres is out. Have to drive from village where I am out some tree lined country roads to them. I’ll update in about 45 mins.

No damage here as I had everything well secured, thankfully. Still extremely windy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Ok, having the kids off for a second day in Dublin is a bit feckin silly, getting sick of the govt changing their minds every few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The wind is calming in limerick...i think i can get out to the shops to stock up on more brennans sliced pans

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭kerplun k

The only way a slate will be flying this morning is if someone picks it up and throws it, because it certainly won’t be the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

There's a wind alright, the type you could definitely play football in but might cancel a game of golf. Not one that you need to stay inside from.

I'm in Dublin by the way - appreciate that there are trees down in schoolyards in the south west but a borderline yellow/orange situation here doesn't warrant schools closing.

The Dept of Education remain the only organisation to close anything in Dublin as far as I'm aware. Then again, they have form for that.

Just looking at power check website. There must be power out in every county bar a couple in the North East.

Busy few days for ESB networks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If a kids sick thats different but im 35 and I cannot remember a single day of my entire school life being off due to storms, yet in the past 4 years there's been multiple days off due to this new system that seems far more about saving government from having to make any decisions than protecting anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Power just went out here in Donegal. Tis very dark out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Seems like the East got the worst of it overnight. Strong winds and beating rain for 7-8 hours. Calm out now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

glad we have power this morning.

hope everyone who is out gets it back asap.

lots of debris around here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

It didn’t seem too wild here at all last night where I am - which is on top of a small hill in south Carlow. We must be somehow sheltered from northerly winds. Yesterday morning was much worse. There are a good few power outages nearby though.

my son’s bus isn’t running so we have to drive him the 30 km to his special preschool. That’s ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Schools being closed is an absolute joke. They've barely been in school the last two years!

This is going to show one of two things, neither good. Either school is pointless or school is important and we're going to have 2 years of runts.

Like ffs, someone farts and they close the schools.

Part of me is thinking it's propaganda to support climate change action. "look we've had 10 red warnings in the last few years and we had none 20 years ago!"

Really sums it all up doesn't it. Dept of Education say it's too dangerous yet not a peep from Dept of Enterprise ordering businesses to shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Somewhat similar situation in Carlow town, I'm on the fourth floor of an apartment complex too with lots of windows! Our main bedroom was facing the wind yesterday morning so that was pretty noisy, that same room is having painting done today so we cleared it out yesterday evening to get ready and moved to the spare room. Unfortunately with the wind direction change the spare room was now taking the brunt! Apart from not swaying (thankfully) we might as well have been in a ship mid Atlantic with the amount of creaking and cracking!! We promptly loaded up our bedding and moved back to the empty main room 😩😂

Very different morning out now, very little wind about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,104 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Wild night here in Monaghan.

Not near a Red thankfully but the Yellow warning we were under was definitely justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The way RTE are carrying on is starting to boil my piss.....americanising the news here.......TV 3 level of stuff....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Bit of a wind here in south Dublin , nothing extra ordinary or any need for schools to be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

Schools are closed because of c19 and no ventilation not the severity of the storm. leaving windows and doors open in stormy conditions is not going to work and Minister Donnelly & others have repeatedly said natural ventilation is best and HEPA filtered purifiers not the solution ….. The Co2 monitors would be blown off the walls , windows blown of the jams and possibly fly a hit someone ….. Yesterday government back tracked and said funding for HEPA filers is available now and hence no need to have all windows & doors open…..48hrs previous Minister Donnelly spouting HEPA filters not the solution….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I agree information has to be given out but some of the over dramatic reporting is embarrassing. News should be News and not a competition between reporters to see whose in the worst place.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Again, doors and windows aren't open in creches, so why did they close those?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Multiple 3rd level campus's in Dublin announcing they are reopening this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Winds still blowing very strong in Clare, delighted the schools here were closed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Fairly bright morning here in D13 on the coast. It's windy but just like a normal windy day. Was pretty windy over night though, my garden furniture, though secured, was blown around a bit, but the equivalent of those "we will rebuild" memes.

No need for Dublin schools to be closed this morning I don't think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I travelled from Wales to Sligo yesterday and was very lucky, seemed to be in the eye of the storm for most of the drive, and had time to walk the dogs and prepare for the night.

We've had many storms in the 15 years that I've lived here but last night felt like one of the worst. Power went around 11pm apparently, I was in bed by then and estimated time of repair is 10pm tonight. I haven't looked outside yet, just hoping there isn't much damage. Thankfully when I bought the place I fenced it using the green fencing used around sports pitches, thinking it would most likely stay up if the wind could blow through it and that has generally been the case.

You get used to the wind here, I was told that if you can make it through 5 winters, you'll probably stay for life. Last night - and by the sounds of it, this morning - was definitely an extraordinary wind event. No work until midday so may as well stay in bed a bit longer listening to the howling.

Thinking of all the ESB and council workers having to be outside trying to clear up, trees down all over Sligo.

Atlantic Coast, West Sligo

Advertisement