Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra: December 7/8th 2021 **Technical Discussion Only**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Still looking bad for the northwest violent storm force winds for at least the next 6 hours, stay safe mind yourselves out there

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lights are flickering...Please no

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

It is violent and will continue so till 5 or 6 am. Went out back to look at it and a branch snapped off a tree into the garden tree still surviving though.

FLickered, server flickered... Wild wild wild out here ..How the satellite dish holds is a sheer miracle

West Mayo offshore

Unspeakable out here. Thankfully some sleep with my painkillers! I hoped it would be over by now?

West Mayo all at sea.

• Advertisement

Just like mosquitos these grousers! as in "they only do it to annoy because they know it teases" Tek no heed!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Severe gusts now hitting from the north west. Been a while since I heard such a continuous roar of wind. Donegal and Sligo getting a good blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Gusting 75kts at Sligo airport

METAR EISG 080200Z AUTO 30042G75KT 5000 BR SCT017 OVC024 06/04 Q0977=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

39kts sustained at Skerries sailing club's anemometer in north County Dublin

All caught up with the situation. rte has an excellent summary. Tried to call family in BC but the Canadian side said no

Sounds like snow on the windows..sleety hail

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

So, in your mind, people posting their local weather conditions as they see it are 'setting out to annoy others' and are 'mosquitoes'?

I'm not going to paint these very standard conditions locally as something they are not just to suit you or anyone else. And anyway, what are you doing on a west coast island when it is subject to this sort of weather that you seem so constantly terrified of?

New Moon

(((HUGS)))

Maybe read the other thread and what MT refers to? Not the real weather reports.

I hope you feel better soon as you are hitting at the wrong person. I was supporting the folk wjo were upset

And yes very very upset by the injustice and anger of your post. Please find a punch bag!

Signing off as I am too ill for this kind of erronoeous attack. Just is too much

Hanging on here by a thread at times.

Praying for you. BLESS YOU! I mean that. BLESS YOU!

signing off as cannot cope with unjustified aggression ...

Goodbye and stay safe;

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭endainoz

Fair enough but you calling people 'mosquitoes' because they are not reporting all out storm conditions, it was easy to assume that I was included in your swipe. If I got the wrong end of the stick, then I sincerely apologise.

New Moon

Anyway, have grown really tired of the aggro that just seems to explode on this forum every time I post something on it these last few months. Time I think to nip that in the bud and let this forum become at peace with itself once again without my clearly toxic presence.

Keep enjoying the weather! Up, over and out.

Patrick.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Anyway back to the actual weather 🙄

Will be interesting to see how much snow the Wicklow Mountains got when daylight comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

That Ogimet link I gave you only publishes the manned metars duri g the day/evenng. The link below gives live automated metars and SPECI reports 24/7. I see there was a 75-kt gust just before 2 am. Seems to be the highest recorded anywhere.

https://www.dawn-it.com/met/

METAR EISG 080200Z AUTO 30042G75KT 5000 BR SCT017 OVC024 06/04 Q0977=

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gusts at EIDW have been well below model predictions

Max gust of 45 knots so far, that's not even Status Yellow

• Advertisement

Gusting above 80 and 90kmh all night here in Arklow all night and still is

Peak gust 98.2kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'm sure Graces7 was thinking of one or two posters in the other thread who seem to wish to stir up a bit of trouble in the weather forum by harping on the idea that conditions are benign where they are therefore no storm exists. If people just post that conditions are benign where they are and leave it at that, fair play. So as she said, I think maybe these comments were not aimed at Oneiric3 who is always careful to give a weather report for his own location and leave it at that. And I am not that troubled by any approach people take, if they want to affect a belief that no storm has taken place then they just end up making themselves look out of touch to anyone who has read the numerous reports to the contrary.

I find this difficult enough without having to predict subjective reactions to the numbers, we're given a framework of forecasting by the numbers and by any reasonable standard this was a well predicted event. I am seeing signs of underprediction around Sligo in recent hours. School closings are not top of mind around the weather forum and I wish people would take that whole discussion to a more appropriate place, and I can't say where that is because I haven't looked around the whole domain of boards to find out. My interest in Irish school closings is of course rather limited in any case, surprised they don't at least close the windows though, that must be doing more harm than good to the overall health of the nation, but of course it's not an option we might consider where I live, with current temperature -12 C. (I am somewhat out of touch with the general run of things, for all I know Canadian kids are sitting there in full winter gear with the snow blowing around them, my own school days were not that much better tbh).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RuuupShligo

Wind doesn't sound like it's easing in Sligo, nor has it since around 7pm last night. Lots of trees down following the County councils Facebook page, I'm working night shift and hoping day staff get here safely and on time!

Haven't heard wind like this in Sligo in a while, constant gusts, with a background roar. Well it's kept me company tonight. Electricity held up despite flickering all night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Impressive sustained winds all night in Donegal, some roads blocked by fallen trees so definitely a morning to stay in bed.

Gust of 96kmh in the past hour in Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Just listening to my local radio station and they stated that the greens and environmentalists are saying that these storms are becoming more frequent because of global warming.

In North Donegal myself and a few others have noticed the severity of storms and sea swells we used to get up here are far less frequent than we used to get in the 80s 90s and early 00s and seem to be happening more south of the country now.

Be interesting to hear any of your opinions on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

So where is Sryanbruen's table? That's a Bingo! 😀

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes still roaring in Sligo and the whistle too I haven't heard Ince the 90s. Our lights flickered many times but it may be slowly abating. Certainly think the 75knot gust won't be repeated. Think we had one storm in the 2000s in Sligo that broke 130kph but not as high as 75knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's been proven time and time again in another thread that the opposite is true. Professor Thorne from Maynooth also highlighted this yesterday despite RTÉ's attempts to get him to say otherwise. The debate is in the 2020 climate events thread in this forum, not to go off topic here.

It seems that the highest gust recorded was 75 knots at Sligo Airport at 01:59Z this morning. This is in a perfect location to get the full force of a northwesterly. From the spike shown below it would appear that it may have some convective origins and not purely just gradient wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 theMountain

Cliffs of Moher Co Clare (MPH) Source Windguru

Advertisement