Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for north Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The ‘already existing’ infrastructure barely exists. The cycle lane at the park is a joke, and causes nothing but bottlenecks especially around the footbridge, there’s constantly kids and others walking in the lane.

You take the bus lane and you’re almost guaranteed to have some arsehole in a bus or even worse a taxi right up your hole, or trying to squeeze past you because of how narrow the lane is plus the cars half hanging off the path and the parking spots.

It’s a temporary redirection to put some well needed infrastructure upgrades in place, so they can suck it up for a couple of months.

Also, has it been announced that they’re closing off any of the above for 14 months to all car traffic or is it just an assumption you’re making?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I think the shared bus and cycle lane through Annesley Bridge and environs will be kept open, so I would assume cyclists can continue to use that route. Most other city-bound traffic is to be diverted to Ballybough Road via Fairview Strand. Construction should have been underway by now ("early 2021" was announced in Summer 2020. No idea what the delay is about.

See above. I don't think Ballybough will be the only alternative, but it certainly will be the one most affected. I assume some motorists wil take other routes, and hopefully a good few will use other means of getting town.

Fairview Strand is a tight spot alright, and doesn't have any cycle lane at the moment - the one at the bookies just begins at the very end of the Strand and continues towards Clontarf. I do think additional signage is necessary to explain the meaning (if any) of these bike symbols.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I do think additional signage is necessary to explain the meaning (if any) of these bike symbols.

but they don't have any meaning.

"Watch out for cyclists" - as opposed to what? close your eyes, put your foot down and run them off the road?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we need additional signage to explain the signage?

In relation to the North Strand construction start date, I received the following from Dublin City Council:

The construction start date will be communicated as soon as it is available, and details will be provided in relation to the traffic management plan and the construction program.

Residents and businesses who will be directly or indirectly affected by the works will be contacted shortly.

Not very specific, but at least it sounds like it is definitely going ahead, and quite soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Is there a link to the plans? I've kind of forgotten what they are doing and for how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I had already filed this one away with all the other DCC plans that'll never happen like a safe liffey cycle route or a pedestrianised college green. Is there some movement on this?

The big bike symbol means cyclist may adopt a defensive position in the centre of the road to avoid being aggressive overtaken where there is no room for overtaking. But this will only mean more cars beeping and throwing things at you in Ireland.

The big bike symbol means cyclist may adopt a defensive position in the centre of the road to avoid being aggressive overtaken where there is no room for overtaking.

To be honest that's the only way I cycle now, far safer and I've thick skin

Cars can rarely travel faster than a bike on that stretch anyway. And same goes for overtaking opportunities, as there's nearly always traffic in both directions.

Last update to the DCC site about it was back in August.

Haven’t seen any other bits of construction starting, other than them working on the malahide road opposite Graingers but would imagine that’s unrelated work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Presumably that doesn't stop drivers trying to overtake anyhow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nothing actually planned here; just some theorising about how to create an LTN:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

I cycle Glasnevin to up by the airport a few times a week. The cycling infra is poor to say the least, but I picked a route that on paper has almost 100% cycle lane. On paper alot is supposed to be shared space but not an ounce of paint to identify it as a shared space.

I contacted FCC and was told "it's pencilled in for painting"....zero dates given.

do you head up the swords road, or up ballymun road first?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Up the Ballymun Road, then across by the Sports clinic / Crown plaza, and onto the swords road. Bike line all the way by going that route. By the Omni it gets pretty hairy so I avoid that.

Being originally from the area, I'm not sure how much I'm into that. Pushing traffic from where I used to live, up to Hart's Corner, and down Whitworth Road, to get to Drumcondra. Traffic is already really bad on those routes. My father still lives in the area, and is disabled. So he can't get anywhere without his car. I cycle most of the time myself, so it won't affect me too much, but it'll add about 30% on to my journey when I visit him by car. I'm afraid to even show this to him. It's hard enough listening to him complaining about cycle lanes these days, and he was a cyclist for the majority of his life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's too many people using it as a rat run in the mornings and shooting up the bus lane to get in there too. It creates problems in both directions both in the evenings and mornings.

I'm just finding traffic is getting worse all the time. Recently went from Glasnevin, through Harts Corner to Christchurch. It was 8.10 pm and there was still loads of traffic coming towards the quays, backed up as far as the Dorset St, Smithfield junction. I was on the bike, but if I was in the car, at that time, I'd be stressing out.

I’ll be amazed (but pleased) if the proposers get this one through. Very difficult to get residents to sign up to limiting their own access. Even obvious parallel one way systems line Iona / Lindsay get shot down because, ultimately, it’s hard to get individuals to inconvenience themselves for the common good, as I’ve seen in my own area in Fairview. The only thing people tend to rally behind is permit parking.

But neighbours could look out for the elderly; pharmacies could deliver (this used to be a thing, before everyone had a car. I had a friend who delivered all over Dublin 1/3/7/9 on a bike, for a Dorset St chemist in the 70s).

I wish this project the best of luck all the same.

the labour representative for ballymun/finglas is a cyclist (and cargo bike owner), but he's not an elected official. i don't know what his ambitions are on that front. but i'll be asking him how much sway his opinions on cycling have in the local party.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looking at some of the responses to the above tweet, seemingly they have a car park, there is a bus stop across the road and there is another car park 100m down the road but still, no to the cycle path because it will stop people parking where they want.

There’s no real parking along that stretch anyways, there’s a cycle lane there currently but they just park up on it and block the narrow as it is path.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"cycling is religious persecution" - that's a new one to add to "cycling increases pollution" and "cycling is anti-disabled"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Translation: "our mainly car-driving members have been abusing vulnerable road users for years by parking where they like just because they could, and now you're going to do something that's going to put a stop to it! WAH WAH WAH it's not fair WAH WAH WAH"

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

You forgot "ageist".

No doubt in the fullness of time it'll be sexist, racist and transphobic as well.

Car park looks like it can hold less than ten cars. Which should be enough for regular congregation for a presbyterian service.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

If the congregants were getting paid a thousand euro a head for each car they managed to fit into that car park every Sunday I'd say they'd manage to get about 20 cars in there.

At 5 people per car (Covid won't be forever) that's a hundred people. I'm sure some Christian souls would be happy to collect anyone who wanted to attend but wasn't one of the lucky hundred.

EDIT: the church capacity is 150. As the proposed cycle lane would "block accessibility to worship for 99% of the congregation" that's 1.5 persons who can get to the church by some means other than driving, so that's 48.5 persons who would have to be collected.

crossed griffith avenue from old ballymun road to ballymun road yesterday while out walking; i.e. we passed the work on the junction there to make it more cyclist friendly. one thing i will say, i would consider buying shares in traffic light and traffic pole manufacturers, they'll have a bumper year from this year alone. there are dozens of poles there - probably 30?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Looking at the design, I feel there's going to be a fair few accidents for a while. It was always bad, but never thought it dangerous but inconvenient. I think they're trying to make it safer,l for cyclists, but old habits are going to see accidents happen.

• Advertisement

cyclists heading the way we were coming will have to shimmy twice; they'll be pulled into a path specifically for bikes and then pushed back out of it. it seemed... inelegant.

Advertisement