Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We're likely seeing the vaccine effect too. Delta doesn't cause serious illness in the vast majority of the vaccinated either, when compared to unvaccinated and of course in the vast majority of people under middle age.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So because unvaccinated people are more likely to require an ICU bed, it frees up a bed on a ward?

I'm just struggling to find the point you're trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Michael Martin keeps going on about people not turning up for their booster. Last week I heard Ciaran Cuddihy explain to him the number of their listeners who contacted the program to explain how they had already got their booster or were on the list for it but couldn't get through to cancel.

I was on the list for the booster when I got the text from the HSE. The only reply option was to text "new" which just got a new appointment or ring their helpdesk which was impossible to get through to. I texted new and got a second appointment. Texted new again and got another appointment. Finally got through after a 30 minute phone wait and explained I would be getting a hospital booster in 2 days. She noted this but said I would just get another text and have to ring again as the system generates new appointments automatically. Couldn't be bothered ringing again so no doubt I'll be counted as a no show along with many of my colleagues who had a similar experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

There's over 1k confirmed omicron cases worldwide, yet there doesn't seem to be a breakdown on how many are vaccinated/unvaccinated/reinfected etc...

People were convinced delta was not as serious as previous strains, as you point out, due to vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yup, the system is stupid. For anyone getting a booster too, they're already protected so it's not like back earlier this year where you felt like you needed one and were going to drop stuff for it. Most people will fit the booster around their own lives, so they need to roll out a booking system for it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I think the "not turning up thing" is being overblown by whoever. There's a scattergun approach being taken here, with many people receiving offers or appointments for a booster through multiple channels. You can't quantify someone as a no-show without determining whether it's a double-booking. The assertion that last week only half of the 180k bookings "turned up", when there were 200k boosters given in total, doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

They are on most commercial planes, is that ridiculous too? Should they only be in operating theaters?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Commercial planes are probably the most sealed environment in the world, operating theatres have to be the most infection-free environments in the world. Certain manufacturing facilities in the IT and pharmaceutical industries are similar.

However, classrooms hardly occupy the same status. HEPA filters in every classroom, as the likes of RBB hysterically want, is not an appropriate measure. Yes, in certain classroom which can't be ventilated, but they are a secondary measure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eh commercial airliners operate at altitudes where pressurisation is a requirement, adding a filter to an already complex pressurised air system doesn't add so much to the complexity. Hardly a valid comparison. They're in some vacuum cleaners too. So?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Commercial planes are probably the most sealed environment in the world

Nope.

This system means that the air in the plane’s cabin is completely replaced around 15 times an hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

There's no silver bullet in all this; Covid has infected the imagination and it is running wild. Until we regain control of the collective imagination we will live this half-existence. People don't seem to care though, maybe the collective has triumphed over the individual but I don't think the reason for people's compliance is the collective good. People are just placated passive consumers who are happy to scroll social media getting their daily dose of covid case numbers living in an calm panic skirting the recommendations and nphet guidelines when it suits them. Once they get their freedom fix, they return to being NPHET disciples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Cmon, its always the fault of the People dont ye know when it comes to COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Because the countries with a lower vax % have a proportionately higher amount of unvaccinated hospitalizations than we do, as said, the maths is simple here.

And still trying to argue about who is or isn't being hospitalised as if it's some kind of secret to keep the unvaccinated restricted more than others. Those putting the restrictions in place have access to all the data, so either it's nefarious by them, or the reasoning is correct, you need to be able to argue one or the other and stop spinning out on percentages, if you are right about it, what does that really mean and why are they doing it.

(Or you believe that only you can understand the numbers, but that would be a silly stance to take)

Interestingly or not; one of the reasons airlines were so quick to ban smoking on flights was as much to do with cost rather than health reasons. There was more cabin cleaning to be done of course, but also filtration and a higher throughput of air. They would go through more filters on a long smoking flight and that added costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

The whole idea of people not turning up for appointments just doesnt seem right. Supposedly over 50% of people didn't show up for their booster appointments - all these people have already had two vaccines so it's not like they are completely against the vaccines.

At the same time as people are supposedly not showing up we hear of 3 hour waiting times in City West and also HSE coming out telling people not to just turn up without an appointment (both these things underpin the demand for boosters)

The issue is being blamed on individuals when there is clearly a logistics/planning issue

Hi Wibbs, love your posts.

I'm only asking the question. I'm not as technically minded as yourself, obviously.

It was claimed that it was ridiculous having these filters in classrooms. I'm saying it was not as ridiculous as claimed and gave an example of other areas where they are used, as you did, i.e. vaccum cleaners. Am I missing something here, have i got the wrong end of the stick?

I'm very happy to be corrected here......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Do you think they should have HEPA filters in all offices?

In supermarkets? Bars? etc

The reality is, children are very low risk for all those infections that do the rounds in schools - installing HEPA filters is overkill. Infact it might even be harmful in the long run - children should be exposed to infections at a young age, it leaves them with a robust immune system and protects them into adulthood.

Oh, don't get me wrong, i agree. Rolling these out in all classrooms is overkill. I would never take anything that crowd take seriously.

But to completely rule them out in all situations is also overkill.

I think we are probably closer in agreement on this than I originally thought........

See also my last post.......

No of course not, see my last two posts. I thinks they have there uses etc......

Your last point is a very good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

UK looking to revert to WFH and covid certs for venues

Are we still utterly foolish for restrictions a week ago?..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The timing in the UK is questionable to say the least

Also plan B for the UK is essentially what we had before last week (vaccine certs for large events, WFH & masks in shops etc), not what we have now, so not sure why your comparing what we have now to plan B. They aren't the same

Post edited by stephenjmcd on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

you couldn't make it up. The Tories could literally do anything and still win at the next election over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Suprised about the number of tests yesterday given the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Seems like some of the lads here would love to vote for them too

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

Completely.

6 to a table and table service for fully vaccinated people is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

https://www.ft.com/content/bd0a637e-3e2b-4637-9548-d9eac1e20838

All of the commentators seem pretty certain that it's an attempt to distract, and I'd be inclined to agree. It's amusing though that the UK who are for some the poster child for being "pragmatic" and championing personal freedoms, are willing to use restrictions on society to manipulation PR and keep themselves in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Mango321

Maybe the video release (from last December) was an attempt to undermine the introduction of 'Plan B'.

Whitehall source: “You can say it’s a distraction but it’s necessary. My worry is that we’ve lost our hearing with the public on this and we can’t do proper comms.”

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Seamus, that's not how the internet works.

You start with all the countries in the world for which any given measure is published. You then hunt around for examples which match your personal policy preferences but who happen for various reasons to be in a covid lull, and strongly assert that they're doing it right, Ireland is doing it wrong, and this is why paddy can't have nice things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 frankie4

Hi would anyone know average wait time for a pcr result from the hse? Had my test at 10am yesterday. Thanks

Advertisement