Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

I have not said anything wrong.

OP came here looking for advice to help her situation. I'm simply advising her of a possibly strategy that would maximize her and her children's best interests.

And I'm not saying anything that a highly driven and agressive family law solicitor with years of experience of how the family law system works in practice wouldnt advise their client.

Even if the family last system is dysfunctional, that dysfunction also presents legitimate opportunities to gain and upper hand in family law situations. It's massively stacked in favour of women. I'm my opinion, a woman would be mad not too utilise the opportunities that the system presents her with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How is it in the best interest of the child? Nothing I have read indicates the man is a bad father.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

She could also log a call to Guards the next time they have an argument. Then it's logged. Works great in court.

The relationship is toxic, does not mean that can "defame" the other partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MickSil

Indeed, it could only "benefit" the woman to win a case. Applying for a barring order just to get the upper hand is a common strategy (and a despicable one), but it's no way in the interest of the children. I've been there myself and I can confirm that such an order will only escalate the situation and cause long term damage to all parties involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yeah agreed. We should also bear in mind that what the OP says is only 1 side of the story and we are only hearing selected parts of her story. There is also his side of the story and his emotions and concerns for his children. Somewhere in the middle lies the truth.

The poster above is correct though in that men usually fair a lot worse in the family courts.

The poster who suggested making up lies about a father to get one over on him is an absolutely despicable human being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭kirving

That is a morally disgraceful, nevermind illigal tactic. In years to come, when the kids have grown up, they'd hear the truth and I suspect struggle to forgive their mother.

To suggest it, especially on a public forum, undermines so much work which campaigners worldwide have done over the past few years to encourage people to Believe Women when they recount their experiences.

The OP however should follow that route if she has a genuine fear for her safety, but she has not mentioned that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 goodbyeloser

Thanks for your advice. I can say that I am not in physical fear of him. I know he would be too clever to lay a hand on me, hasn't stopped him though goading me into hitting him during arguments. If I was a less string person I probably would be afraid of him....what I am afraid of is the damage all this is doing to the kids . The hostile silences they are living with has to be affecting them . Its affecting me , its so uncomfortable and absolutely toxic on a day to day basis . Its not normal and its unnecessary, he has 2 seperate places he could go to. He's hanging onto the family home why ? Does he want to live there , while me and kids have to rent somewhere else ?? Is he a good dad ? We'll he's treating the mother of his children like a piece of dirt , all the while his kids think the sun shines from his backside . I've been to the guards , they advised a protection order or barring order but I'm.too scared of the consequences, things escalating and the living situation being even worse than it already is. .I appreciate you are only hearing my side, and obviously I'm going to say that everything I'm saying is the truth but that's because it is. This man leaves a trail of destruction in his narcissist wake , he has problems with everyone but refuses to take accountability for anything.

Everyone saying he has a perfect right to stay in the family home ... of course he does , but it doesn't mean its the right thing to do. Forcing this horrendous living situation for all of us.

He's not in any danger of losing his kids , I've never ever said I would stop him seeing them and was willing to give very generous access to them . Also our mediation collapsed after 3 sessions , he wouldn't negotiate or compromise on anything. So he has literally done nothing since and seems to actually want to go to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Great, so now you have diagnosed him as a narcissist, while also blaming him for your physical assaults on him.

Seriously OP, I wish you all the best, but I am not sure how objective your accounts are, or if you are doing yourself any favours.

Post edited by Jequ0n on

You seem to be under the assumption that you will be the one that gets primary custody and that YOU were willing to give access. Can you not see the issue here? You see the kids as yours and the decisions as yours with him as the beneficiary on YOUR decisions. On that basis he had most likely been advised by his solicitor to not give up anything less it makes his case weaker.

Now the majority of times it is the woman who gets primary custody but if you were set to lose your children and be at the whim of someone who clearly does not like you how would that make you feel?

He will have a list of grievances similar to yours and if he had started the thread it may be the case that the way he put forward his case painted you in equally as bad a light as you have painted him.

TLDR from a legal perspective if the divorce is going to be acrimonious then neither side should give an inch at this stage

I never said I physically went near him. But living with someone who takes pleasure in goading you to do so is not healthy. Or normal.

I've labelled him a narcissist because that's what he is.

I originally came on here for advice . I can see how people just like to exagerate and escalate a topic , so thanks to everyone who gave genuine advice.

• Advertisement

„hasn't stopped him though goading me into hitting him during arguments.“

You are contradicting yourself.

You have painted your husband in a very negative light from the start of the thread, which is understandable given the pending divorce. But your biggest pain point is that he does not move out just because you want this to happen.

Sorry OP, but your choice of username, the baseless labelling, and your unwillingness to accept that the living arrangements are likely to stay like this for a while, do not make you look like your main interest is to keep the peace for everyone involved.

I don’t think there is anything more you can do apart from following legal advice and accepting that you have to share the accommodation for the time being.

Post edited by Jequ0n on

How am I contradicting myself?

The picture I've painted is the truth , actually I wouldn't even go into the full detail or extent here .

Like I said I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience or advice .

Baseless labelling and my username are being used against me ?

Anyway like I said thanks to everyone for the helpful advice

Ah I see, I had misunderstood you. I had understood your post as if he had successfully goaded you into hitting him. Apologies.

I’d still stay clear of the labelling to avoid any accusations of slander.

"...I know he would be too clever to lay a hand on me, hasn't stopped him though goading me into hitting him during arguments..."

Being goaded into it is no excuse.

If you have physically assaulted him during arguments, then he has legitimate grounds to apply for a barring order against you for domestic violence.

Assault is assault, whether its a man or a woman who does it.

Omg I haven't assaulted anyone !!! Never in my life and certainly not him , read my posts , I never touched him !

He used to goad me into "trying " to hit him ! Apologies I thought it was implied that that is what he was trying to do. No I never ever went near him despite his attempts to rile me up so much that I would !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Listening to any advice you will get here is a big mistake,talk to a solr then make your mind up.

Once upon a time, all someone had to say was that they were "in fear" of their partner and it was enough to get them thrown out of their home. Usually the husband. Even if it was a complete fabrication. Applying for barring orders was used and abused as "a strategy" as you call it.

Thankfully, the courts came to see this for what it was and put in place procedures where it is now not quite so easy to get someone thrown out of their home. There must be records, some kind of proof, and it involves a hearing where the alleged "abuser" is given the opportunity to have their side heard in court.

But the downside of it is, the genuine cases where someone is actually being beaten black and blue or living in real fear of an abusive partner, now also have to go through this process to remove their abusers. Past abusers of the barring order process have done them no favours.

If the process hadn't been used and abused as a "strategy" by so many in the past, it would now be much easier for those in genuine fear.

its a disgusting thing to suggest using barring orders as a strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Whatever happened the "I believe her" mantra that was being promoted a couple of years ago. It seems the courts have decided to go the opposite direction of what you're saying is correct.

Mantras have no place in court rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Just Some Young Lad

OP, I’ve given the entire thread a read. It’s very hard to digest. You’re obviously emotionally invested in the situation (like any sane human being with a family would be). However, that emotion makes it very difficult to discern fact from opinion.

You were asked if he has a good relationship with the kids. Has he? Your previous response of “treating their mother like dirt” is irrelevant. His relationship with them is not the same as his relationship with you. You’ve said that they think the sun shines from his backside, so I’m guessing he does?

You're not in any physical fear, thank goodness for that, nobody deserves to go through it. You feel awkward and “put out” by the situation of him living in the house. Have you spoken to the kids? Do they feel awkward or do they feel okay? That’s an important factor here. If you’re the only one, or the primary one, that is uncomfortable with the living arrangement then he doesn’t and shouldn’t have to change to suit you. Moral compass aside.

I have no doubt that you found him controlling and that there is “power struggle” between you both, for lack of a better term. If the relationship is not for you then I agree that a breakup is the best option. However, that does not afford you the right to expect him to leave.

I know that isn’t what you want to hear, and I’m sorry about that. I just want to equip you with the truth. You may get sorted with a solicitor and get the outcome you feel you are entitled to but the situation is probably only going to get worse before it gets better.

Thanks for your reply obviously this is an emotional situation . But I appreciate your approach aswell. I have a legal aid solicitor so hopefully we can work together to get an outcome that is fair to everyone.

Can I ask a question for advice aswell ? I've just got a part time job starting after Xmas the salary is low €13k a year his salary is €47k approx what way should bills be split appropriated ??

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Just Some Young Lad

I’d struggle to give you a definitive answer on that. Bills are split differently in every household in the country. There are so many variables like cars, hobbies, medication, etc. that it can’t be a one size fits all solution.

I know you’ve stressed how difficult it is but I think you’re going to need to sit down and discuss that. Try to remain calm and objective - don’t get into an argument. All the bills need to be paid. There is a reasonable middle ground, you just need to find it.

I hope it all goes well :)

Advertisement