Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It is funny how the biggest scandals are essentially superficial stuff and nothing to do with how badly they are running the country, ie cummings car trip, hancocks affair and now johnsons party, maybe each is just a straw that broke the camels back at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,847 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’ve just watched the video in the press briefing room and oh Jesus thats bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

North Shropshire (Paterson by-election) on Thursday 16th looking increasingly important now.

Tories defending 63% so it should be a shoo-in with a reduced margin (like Bexley & Sidcup last week) where winning with 50%+ would be acceptable. But it seems to be very much 'in play' for the Lib Dems (10% in 2019), with Labour not really trying too hard. I think the Tories scrape it but with the kind of swing which will panic any MPs with single digit majorities.

Yeah a by election when there’s clear anger amongst the public isn’t great timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Truly fascinated to see how Johnson handles this at the despatch box today. Will he continue to simply double down and deny it, brazen his way out of it and go on the attack as he usually does? Would seem kind of risky given there is quite a bit of unease on the backbenches and the strong possibility of more damaging revelations yet to come. Some kind of mealy mouthed non-apology apology would probably be advisable, cut his losses somehow, but just not sure he has it in him tbh.

• Advertisement

Sajid Javid was booked in to appear on Radio 4 this morning, and I'd assume other media outlets as well, to deliver a vital public message in relation to the booster campaign. If the health minister is cancelling important media appointments because of this scandal, that just demonstrates how messed up it all is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Two questions I've been pondering:

1. Who is drip-feeding these stories to the media? Whoever it is knows exactly how things work. Downing Street is hunkering down hoping that the news cycle moves on but it cannot because new information keeps getting leaked. This has all the hallmarks of a targeted leak designed to maximise the damage to Johnson. The question is - who would benefit from that? Michael Gove? Rishi Sunak? Somebody else?
    2. Is there anyone else that Johnsons could throw to the wolves that would make this go away? Nobody else is obviously associated with it at this time so I have my doubts.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Here is a SKY News report on it...

I think this one showing JRM taking the piss will just add salt to the wound...

It is the same contempt that they've shown the people for the last number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

I actually find that find the video of Reece Mogg from a few days ago alot worse imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think if you have a pre-existing bias towards Mogg - which I certainly do - there's an almost Dickensian quality to his droll mocking; one that only serves to remind or fasten one's ideas of the man. The press briefing clip isn't any better but none of the offenders present as the monied upper-class toff. If you saw a character moulded on Mogg on the TV, you'd sneer at such a lazy stereotype - yet here we have the man chortling while the population hunkered down for what was a pretty shíte Christmas. As already covered, the timing of this isn't coincidental and a lot of constituents and folk will have been reminded of Xmas 2020.

Of course, whether it'll have any quantitative effect at the ballot box remains to be seen. Probably not.

• Advertisement

They're saying now that an announcement is likely to be made later today about moving to Plan B to tackle the new variant, which would, of course, involve fresh restrictions. The right thing to do, perhaps, but how would that play in the circumstances? Tory backbenchers would be absolutely fuming for a start.

Remains to be seen about how voters respond, but I think if I was a tory campaigner in North Shropshire right now, I'd be phoning in reporting covid like symptoms. Wouldn't fancy that job at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think they will ride it out. They have a huge majority and a weak opposition leader. This is not unlike the phil Hogan scenario here but doubt any heads will roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I guess one reason all of this happened is that Johnson and the regime thought they were pretty much untouchable. 80 seat majority and they assumed the right wing press would have their backs at all times. Where things get risky is when they lose control of the narrative and even their press pals won't cover for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Possibly. The best comparison IMO is the Dominic Cummings fiasco at Barnard Castle. The issue here is that the problem is systemic. There's no single head to roll in order for this simply to go away. The levels of deceit and incompetence emanating from this government are almost beyond belief but this is something that will cut straight through whatever desperate lies they employ to try to make this go away. There's no technical jargon they can utilise to befuddle the public and it's that rare type of hypocrisy that directly affects people, particularly their base. These reasons are why Cummings had to go but, as above, there's no similar option here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

A problem here is that no particular individual has been identified (apart from Stratton, who is not even a member of the Conservative Party). This makes it a very dicey story to manage. How can a Christmas party be held at No.10 and only one person gets the blame? It will be very interesting to see how the Govt spins this.

The problem the government has is that this clearly was not a "Government" party but was the Downing street staff (and no one is saying otherwise) of which there are somewhere between 150 and 200 people.

The government have quite clearly got their backs, but this appears to be misplaced, because someone there obviously doesn't have theirs and is leaking what should be confidential footage to the press and doing it in what is quite clearly a coordinated manner, otherwise this would have come out 12 months ago.

It's almost as though a nefarious character with good media connections and a chip on his shoulder was working in Downing street last December, but is no longer.

Well I’m curious to know how they got the footage from the press briefing room. Do the news channels have constant feeds of it but just show it when there’s a press conference ? That will be interesting. Of course there’s someone to blame, it’s boris Johnson because it’s No10 Downing Street which is the official residence of the prime minister. Do we know when the reese mogg footage is from ? I ask because beyond the tone deafness of it all, I found it interesting that he mentions about this meeting won’t be investigated by the police in a years time, which is funny because the press briefing footage is from nearly a year ago. I could be reading far too much into that but it stood out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Tory backbenchers have already been quoted as remarking on the Christmas party news as the new Bernard Castle and, more pointedly, that the next lockdown will be "advisory" in all but name regardless of what the government says because the public will pay it little heed as a result

Edit: was a recognisable fairly senior (male) Tory MP quoted; just cannot remember whom, but was from either an article or a twitter citation of same from this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

JRMs is from a recent speech at the 'Institute for Economic Affairs'. Video courtesy of Guido surprisingly.

The IEA is a pretty standard right-wing lobby group with less than clear funding.

• Advertisement

Just looking on the betting exchanges, the Lib Dems are just about edging favouritism for the North Shropshire by election next week. There's no way there won't be more bad news emerging for Johnson between now and then. No idea how this pans out but losing that by election would be a huge body blow as electability is really the only saving grace he has left among many of his mps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Doubt it brings down Johnson but maybe JRM? I mean he cites the social distancing rules and makes fun of them. His arrogant head on a platter may be just the pound of flesh the public and media will take.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I doubt it. They fought tooth and nail for Patterson because corruption is endemic in the government, even to the point of using his wife's suicide as a defence. They'll do the same thing here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Another factor is that it now looks like the Met are involved. If it was to end up with retrospective prosecutions, this would be hugely embarrassing for any government party.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It was Johnson's office/house

Cummings left Downing street 5 weeks before the party in question. There was another party in November to celebrate Cummings leaving, that was also against the law at the time

Then we have the brass neck today that Johnson will allow his cabinet secretary (who was probably at the parties) to 'investigate' and Johnson offers to assist the police

Post edited by A Dub in Glasgo on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The government shouldn't have their backs if they are not following the Covid rules. The person leaking this is a whistle blower and in the right. Honestly pouring all your scorn on the leaker rather than the person's not following the rules is a bit strange.

There was probably a touch of inevitability about the Govt's lies catching up with them. They've been lying about just about everything since the moment they came to power. If it wasn't this No.10 party, there would be some other big scandal in due course. Difficult to predict where this goes though and who the fall guys will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Sorry, correcting myself it was Charles Walker

• Advertisement

SNIP. Please do not just paste tweets.

Advertisement