Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Where are you? I'm Louth and I'm expecting cancellation as well

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Findlk

Was due for conection today in Louth. The cable runs on poles across the road from our bungalow, they won't connect onto the chminey of our house. Won't use next pole up, as the cable would then cross next doors garden. So they want to put a pole in our back garden to then bring it to the back of the house! Nuisance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

I made a thread regarding not being included in the NBI rollout as according to them, commercial providers have indicated that they can provide speeds of 30mbps or more. This, however, is not the case as the max we can get is 15mbps. If anyone has had any experience with this, check the thread out as I'm trying to become included in the NBI rollout. NBI have installed the fibre cables on our road also.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058221450/nbi-your-premises-is-not-included-in-the-national-rollout#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Screengrab of the deployment map filmed at NBI offices on the RTE Prime Time programme. Five colour ramp (green --> blue) seems to represent deployment progress. Some (minor) differences in the graphical depiction of areas compared to the web version e.g., Athenry, Gurteen, Loughrea, Ballylinan etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

The Currency are running a piece about how NBI are financed:

I don't subscribe myself, but curious if anyone else does and what the main takeaways are?

Edit: I ended up subscribing to satisfy my curiosity. I'm not going to regurgitate the report here as I do feel like people should pay for something as well researched as this. You can subscribe for €5 for the first month. This is part 1 of 3. Well worth the price so far. Needless to say, there is some very suspect stuff around both who is actually running NBI and their track record WRT long-term investments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 FunkyFresh

KN called today despite the weather(Co.Clare).

Said the pole outside "wasn't deep enough in the ground" and he didn't want to stick a ladder against it.

Rescheduled for someone with a hoist to get up there.

Waiting 20+ years for any kind of broadband here, tried so many options that I won't actually believe anything until I see the router get plugged in.😕

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

Much the same here. Not allowed to do installs today due to weather do just checking the houses they are scheduled for to see what difficulties they might have. He told me they have 10 days to finish NBI installations if there are problems. Should be back before the end of the week.

I'm shocked. I know we're mad for internet connectivity, but why the hell have KN got anyone out anywhere today? There's no need for them to be on the road, regardless of whether they're installing or "checking".

It's fairly calm inland here at the moment in North Roscommon. On a day like this you expect them to survey and keep safe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

They are only calling around having a look to see what they can expect when they are able to do the install. It's hardly dangerous, especially in areas where the weather isn't too bad yet.

Anyway, KN just called me with a new date of 17th 😥

Keeping an eye on the phone for now.

Like I said, waited so long now I have no expectations anymore 😂

Will update here if they call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Same kn called out, just inspecting as weather is a risk, he said tomorrow or Thursday, eir call two hours later to say Thursday next week, hopefully that's brought back to this week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cregmon

NBI contractors were trimming overhanging branches along our road this morning. Not a day anyone would like to be up high in a cherry-picker so they got the job done quickly. We're now not due to start connections here (Athlone) until September, so I was wondering if it was too soon for them to cut back trees. Anyone here remembered if they saw similar work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kilo Juliett Delta

With possible power outages in many part of the country today it prompted me to ask if the local exchanges have generators or banks of large UPS’s to run the fibre equipment and keep the network running in the event of power failures. While I understand it would be beneficial for each fibre customer to have their own UPS to power their own router and ONT to keep call services etc. working during a power outage it would be redundant if the local exchange that the fibre connected to was without power also. 

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

Just got an update from Eurona that fibre in my DA (N63 side - Roscommon) will go live on the 4th of January 2022, and that a date for installation will follow. No early Christmas present for me so. I am assuming that a lot of the other DA's will follow a similar pattern with regards to the ribbons, some going live a month or so before others. My house was the last to be connected and fibre splicing to be completed. Best till last hey, mmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

KN connected me today and after he left the Fritzbox keeps going into a recycle loop of shutting down and restarting. Did the obvious on off etc. Still looping. Contacted Digiweb to be told its a faulty Fritzbox and they are sending me a replacement.

Anyone else have this with the Fritzbox and was it a faulty box and replacement was all that was needed?

Rang KN as I hadn't heard from them.

They have no record of our address or that any installation was due to take place, despite a KN contractor arriving this morning.

Driving me round the bend. 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Got a call from kn 2 weeks ago asking will we definitely be there on the 1st Dec. We said yes

KN called on the Wednesday evening to do some sort of prep work before they were to call on Thursday so that the crew have no surprises. He said instead of connecting from a pole to the roof they'll connect to an eir port in the front garden. Grand, says I.

Different guy calls on Thursday and says that they'll actually have do a bit of digging so they can run the wire from the port a few feet towards the front of the house and make a new connection point (or something like that). He said as his job is just to lay the lines he has to call another team to do the digging work. Ended up saying that the other crew is busy and they'll be back on Friday.

No sign of anybody on Friday. No sign on Monday. Rang today and they said they're waiting on some sort of licence (?) and that it'll be the 15th before they're back.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭mun1

that's a shame, no issues here with fritzbox installed last week. at least the new fritzbox will be with you in a day or two.

I keep checking the download speeds every few hours as it seems too good to be true. was too long on a 5MB WISP .

great on a day like today when I'm able to work at home on MS teams and family are in different rooms , and no whelps when the internet drops 🙂

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It was.one of the things I highlighted about the original contract. I could not see how a new provider could get up to the numbers projected from a standing start. At peak I think they are supposed to hit 8k homes/ week. I think neither Virgin, Eir or Vodafone/ Siri have hit them figures on any one of there rollouts even in urban areas. Doing it in rural Ireland is a huge ask.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

NBI updated the figures on their homepage last Friday, the 3rd. From November 2nd to December 3rd the changes were:

Premises surveyed: 272818 > 282030

Designs complete: 226225 > 232139

Premises under construction: 115506 > 156671

Premises available for order: 27758 > 33366

BCPS installed: 386 > 401

A reminder that the available for order figure includes a large number of pre-order premises which can be three months away from actually being passed (even longer judging by posts here).

It seems to me they have little chance of hitting 60000 premises by year end, unless they dump a load of pre-order premises to pad out the figures.

This would lead me to question the NBI and DECC communication strategy in that they consistently over promise and under deliver, essentially giving ammunition to their growing list of critics to beat them over the head with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Just 4,000 homes and businesses have been reached in the first half of this year, out of a target of 115,000 by the end of the year.

Broadband rollout target slashed as contractor admits delays | Business Post

Is POD at it again? Is he suggesting the connection target for 2021 was 115,000 and having only connected approx 4,000?

There was me thinking the 115,000 was the planned passed figure for 2021 and not a connection figure for 2021. NBAiii's numbers above suggest 30,000+ are ready for orders, which means passed I assume?

I guess Peter prefers to conflate the two numbers for his target audience.

As the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water ...", NBI do passing, albeit slowly but orders/connections are in the hands of the householders. NBI can only draw down the full subsidy once a premises gets connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

O'Dwyer is being disingenuous with his quoting of 4000 connections but it could be argued that NBI are also being misleading with including pre-orders in their figures. I would suspect that of the 33366 premises NBI mention that about 22000 are actually fully passed or RFS (ready for service).

The Currency are running the second of their 3 part story on the management/financing of the NBI today:

Part 1 is here:

Today's piece deals with the financing. It's well worth the trial price of €5 for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭munsterfan2

Update on this, the county broadband officer got onto both openeir & NBI, initially openeir said no and NBI said the house wasnt sufficiently built when they did survey so it wouldnt be looked at until mop-up phase. He went back to openeir and they agreed to do a survey. The surveyor had a look, said no technical issue as just under 400m to box on pole, 2 additional road poles & one pole on site required.

Heard last week that we were on the FTTH list and ordered from NET1 last Friday. KN initial inspection is on 16th of this month

Ruairi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Was anything ever confirmed on the whole "looking to accelerate" the rollout or any timeframe on when they'd know if its possible? Seems to have gone very very quiet on that front.

Everything seems to have gone right back to "we are confident we will get this done in 5 years" which would imply there is no acceleration at this point as we are already 2 years into the 7 year plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

POD reporting that Currency's claim of majority holding in NBI by Oak Hill is untrue.

Currency reporting this morning, as per DECC statement, that Telecom Infra Mgmt LLC is not actually an Oak Hill vehicle, contrary to its previous report

That would mean Oak Hill isn't the majority owner.

They do rightly highlight a number of Qs though..

Anyone seen a link to the DECC statement, which T. Hubert reports was issued last night.

Advertisement