Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So UFOs aren't a theory anymore - but we still don't know what they are

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Ok. So you argee that aliens have never been a explanation for anything either.

So why do you believe they are more plausible than other supernatural explanations that you reject on the basis that they've never been an explanation for anything?

Both explanations have never been the explanation for anything. Both require an assumption of physics we don't understand.

What's the difference between them to you apart from you just prefer one over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

We've never proven anything to be aliens however its a MORE plausible than the boogey man.

And if you cant understand that then I cant help you.

Why do you not read ?

why ?

Yes, I read your post. I'm asking you to explain it more.

Why do you believe that aliens are more plausible than other supernatural explanations.

I don't think you actually can explain this distinction.

As far as I can seen, appealing to aliens with essentially magic technology is not more plausible than appealing to other creatures who can use magic/physics we don't understand.

To me, both are equally implausible and not really worth considering seriously.

Ha! .. talk about redefining things to make them sound more plausible

this is what you said

For example, some people believe that UFO sightings are actually fairies or Angels and Demons.

then attempted to redefine as

than appealing to other creatures who can use magic/physics we don't understand.

🙄

Aliens are simply life from another planet and you think that's as plausible as "fairies or Angels and Demons", your words not mine.

For a start "fairies or Angels and Demons" are not even defined things!

Again your reacting to my questions very oddly.

I didn't redefine anything and you still have not answered my question.

You are also misrepresenting my position unfairly to avoid my question.

I did not say that fairies and other supernatural creatures are as likely as life of other planets.

I'm saying that they are as likely as life from other planets who have hyper advanced knowledge to the point of magic who the also travel to earth and engage in inexplicable behaviour for no definable reason.

Fairies, Angels and Demons all have specific definitions to people who believe in them. So that is not a valid reason to exclude them as a possibility.

Especially when the definition of aliens to you is so broad and open.

So please try again without the over the top reactions about how silly you think the question is;

Why do you believe that aliens are more plausible than other supernatural explanations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I'd put ultra advanced extraterrestrial civilisations visiting this planet but being caught juuuust out of focus every time at much more implausible than ultra advanced extraterrestrial civilisations existing.

I would actually put the fairies and demons stuff right into the impossible category.

Well given that in this argument "aliens" are so vaguely defined and open that angels and Demons could be defined as "interdimensional energy beings who wish good or evil for humans".

There's many wooy newage people who would use such language to describe them as that or similar.

I think interdimensional energy beings are equally as plausible as aliens who break physics.

They could possibly exist, but that possibility is extremely slim to the point its not worth considering seriously.

Because its impossible to estimate plausibility for objects whose definitions are only known to those who believe in them.

That should be self evident. You seem to be oddly unable to understand this. Why ?

One could announce anything is plausible and then hide behind a belief construct.

Moreover we do not have to believe in anything to understand the possibility of alien life and therefore in the possibility of them knowing more physics than a civilization who invented the wheel 2,500 years ago ( namely us ).

Alright, but why do these aliens keep getting caught just out of focus, to be serious for a moment, how can that be explained?

OK. So then define the aliens who you believe are visiting Earth. Define how they are using advanced knowledge.

If you can't do this then how are you estimating their plausibility?

And again you're misrepresenting my position. I am not saying that alien life is impossible. I'm not saying that alien life can't have a better understanding of physics than us.

I think the conversation would go a lot smooth if you stopped doing that.

• Advertisement

OK. So then define the aliens who you believe are visiting Earth. Define how they are using advanced knowledge.

If you can't do this then how are you estimating their plausibility?

Aliens are defined as life from another planet, their possibility is non-zero (as you have admitted) and therefore their plausibility is non-zero. Without any belief construct.

The same cannot be said for Fairies, Angels and Demons.

QED.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

How are you telling the difference between an alien who has knowledge and mastery of physics in ways that we cannot comprehend, and an angel, demon or fairy?

If they both come along, amaze us with their magic then and tell us they come from a place beyond the stars which we can't comprehend, then what is the difference?

Why do you keep assuming that the photos YOU have seen are the only ones available ?

If there was a HD one issued tomorrow it would be immediately be judged to be a hoax.

Imagine the US navy issued a HD closeup photo of a flying disc and said the exact same as they are saying about their recently released videos. "We don't know what this is"

What would change only the goal posts ?

I can't judge what I haven't seen or isn't available. In my personal experience, ever time I have come across a photographed or filmed case it features yet again blurry footage or photos. It's been that way for decades now.

If there's some footage you feel is clear and demonstrates an extra-terrestrial craft, then please share it.

Why can the same not be said for angels Demons and fairies?

Many wooy types claim that these are beings from other universes or planes of existence. That's also a non zero possibility.

I can't judge what I haven't seen or isn't available. In my personal experience, ever time I have come across a photographed or filmed case it features yet again blurry footage or photos. It's been that way for decades now. If there's some footage you feel is clear and demonstrates an extra-terrestrial craft, then please share it

News flash : There is no clear HD close up footage of UFOs that has been released to the public that show irrefutable evidence of extra-terrestrial craft visiting planet earth.

Glad we got that sorted out or we would have had to change the title of this thread.

Okay, but there's nothing close to that

All the stories of UFO's "hovering overhead" are nowhere to be seen now that we all have pocket HD film cameras. If you show footage, I am very sure it will be just out of focus enough to be just about anything. One of the most recent pieces of footage I saw a year or two back which really got some people excited was obviously some sort of missile - it later turned out to be an anti-ship missile.

The fact that we've had these sightings for decades, and it's 100% consistent that the evidence is 100% inconsistent - well that's just approaching the point of impossibility in terms of probability. As several have mentioned, if some race is so advanced they can manage interstellar travel, then they could simply watch us from afar or undetected.

Why can the same not be said for angels Demons and fairies? Many wooy types claim that these are beings from other universes or planes of existence. That's also a non zero possibility.

FACT : There could be 300 million habitable planets in the Milky Way. Some are just 30 light years from the Sun, the data suggest. Scientists have confirmed the existence of more than 4,000 exoplanets, although 3,000 more suspected exoplanets are awaiting confirmation.

FACT : The Hubble Deep Field, an extremely long exposure of a relatively empty part of the sky, provided evidence that there are about 125 billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Knowing this you then decide which of these is more likely :

If you believe the that Aliens civilizations could exist, you can then infer the plausibility of them visiting earth is non-zero.

If you believe that the earth could be flat, you can then infer the plausibility of UFOs being projections is non-zero.

If you believe that you could be in the matrix, you can then infer the plausibility of UFOs being computer generated as non-zero.

If you believe that "angels Demons and fairies" exist, you can then infer the plausibility of them being UFO like is non-zero.

If you believe that moon could be made of cheese, you can then infer the plausibility of space mice visiting as UFOs as non-zero.

As you can see it essentially comes down to what you believe, but most scientists would only affirm one of the above. They are NOT equally likely in the minds of most rational people.

This is why the recent report on UFOs was typically reported as "UFOs, we don't know what they are, ET's not ruled out"

It was never reported as "UFOs, we don't know what they are, ETs, fairies and demons not ruled out", because lets face it, most rational people don't believe in fairies. 

But again man you keep conflating the idea of life simply existing with the idea of aliens breaking physics, having magic and then wanting to visit us and do stuff that doesn't make sense.

Again I am not disputing the idea that alien life of some variety exists, you don't need to keep harping on about that point.

Is it possible regardless of what you personally believe, That there are entities that exist on a different plane of reality?

Just need a straight yes or no on this question.

If your answer is yes, then all of your logic and arguments equally apply to the idea of angels/demons/other supernatural creatures.

If your answer is no, then I would like to hear how you have made this conclusion.

The existence of camera phones and other recording devices has exploded exponentially in the last few decades. And the ease of use and quality of those cameras have followed suit.

If any percentage of claimed UFO encounters were real, then the amount of high quality videos should have also increased dramatically in the last few years.

As a counter example: the asteroid that exploded over Russia a few years ago was captured by so many dash cams and phones that it was possible to track its flight path. Another being the sheer amount of footage of the explosion in Beruit a while back.

Both of these were fast occurring events with no warning. Yet there's tons of footage from both events from many different angles all showing the exact same thing.

In the good ol days UFO and alien encounters, there used to be all sorts of details like the ships landing and the aliens coming out and puttering around. These stories have also dried up now that people can ask: "so why didn't you pull out your phone and record this?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Aliens are not necessarily life from another planet, they are just life that isn't from this planet

Its just as likely that these are interdimensional time travellers as they are super advanced aliens from across the known universe

In the many worlds interpretation of quantum theory, every time two particles interact, a new universe is created where multiple but conflicting states are true at the same time. This is a mathematically plausible theory even if it is completely ridiculous and would result in mindbogglingly large numbers of entire new universes coming into existence every instant of every nanosecond of every day

Or they could be glitches in the matrix, we're all plugged into a massive simulation that we're not aware of and these are either accidental glitches, or the system is trying to fu.ck with us

Or, in the most implausible scenario of all, it's just a bunch of people who got mixed up because their perceptions are flawed, and their mind plays tricks with them, and they're not actually as clever as they think they are, so they're reading a whole pile into a few blurry photos and testimony from equally flawed individuals.

On the balance of probabilities, I'm going with the multidimensional time travellers

On the balance of probabilities, I'm going with the multidimensional time travellers

I like it, at least it's not away with the fairies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I'm going with ultra-dimensional time travelers using the Mormon approved portal at Skinwalker ranch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

US government recognizing fringe conspiracy is a big deal. Skeptics for decades said believers are crazy tin hat people, uneducated, don't know a thing about science, funny how things work out in the end after all the back and forth for decades!!!.. Not stupid, a revelation this big, what's the power play?

If I was betting man tell the public to secure far bigger budgets. Public-funded space adventures agreed inside US Congress and private firms gave money to build space weapons and spaceships?. It also may be earth-shattering news that is about to unfold, will have an impact on humans and their future (a few years maybe sooner timeframe?) insiders are aware of it and cannot stop the reveal. Or maybe it was agreed time was right to join the brotherhood of space (inside joke) but the US government telling us aliens with exotic craft are perhaps already up in the skies very big deal. I never thought we get this far, but seems people are getting on with life regardless of the news. The impact is not huge since we have not yet had an undeniable encounter yet or aliens walking about with leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Objects that are not identify at the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Where have the US government said that aliens exist and have visited earth?

This is just that there are some things detected by their pilots which have not been satisfactorily explained yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

So another lobby group found someone to give them cash. What can these people do that the much touted super secret pentagon department couldn’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

Avril Haines, the Director of National Intelligence (DNI), who oversees all 16 US spy agencies including the FBI and CIA, for her to not dismiss the alien's speculation is a major deal. What the pilots are seeing not balloons or venus, the options are very limited. I don't think the US doing this for no reason, I wouldn't be surprised contact, occurs in the next 5 years. It's moving way too fast, things are only done if there is a need to get the public aware to avoid the shock of it all..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

dont be fooled thinking there are aliens, they want you to think there are aliens so you believe there are other life forms out there in the dark universe

its all bs

the moon wont crash into the earth

asteroids wont hit us

we are alone.......created by the one God and thats it

• Advertisement
Advertisement