Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra - December 7th/8th 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

That was it I thinks. Cheers for that SB

Think I accidently hit the " flag" button instead of the " thanks" button☺️

Gusting over 80kmh again in Arklow

Is there no end to this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The ones I have noted:

1 red - Ophelia (except BFTE/Emma which were for snow, not wind)

5 orange - Eleanor (Jan 2018), Ali (Sep 2018), Callum (Oct 2018), Deirdre (Dec 2018), Jorge (Feb 2020). EDIT: Oh yes, Ciara (Feb 2020) and Brendan (Jan 2020) too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

My blue sky was short lived. Hail falling now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Cue Ryan Tubridy bringing Joanna Donnelly onto the Late Late...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Thanks.

I'll add - there was orange in Jan 2020, and there was actually 2 in Feb 2020 - one on the 8th, one on the 28th.

So Barra is the 9th orange / red wind event for Dublin covering a period that Dublin Airport hasn't had a single orange level gust.

And people wonder why there are moaners?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Evergreen_7

Belmullet was wild in the early hours. We are basically at the end of the universe though.

still blustery today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There are other weather stations in Dublin too...

I live not too far away from Casement, during windy weather conditions are often worse there than at the airport.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

ALI could be the one , it was particularly bad in the morning whilst people were making their way to work and school. Recall seeing a lot of pics and updates being posted on Facebook .

I do know of people who missed the messages last night and ended up at the school gates this morning in Dublin.

It has been a very quiet this morning in D8 much windier this area yesterday. Anyhow going to reward the young one for doing extra homework by heading to the cinema this afternoon.

Thanks to the regular experts for keeping the show on the road in this forum👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Grand sunny day here, bit of a breeze but nothing to talk about.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's still gusting a bit in north Wicklow now but it's definitely starting to calm a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

Dublin Airport is sheltered from the south so that might explain this. One place in a county doesnt define the colour status.

I am north of the airport and much higher up and get far heavier gusts than the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

I don't disagree. I was responding to the other post that mentioned the airport.

Did Storm Barra verify as orange in any Dublin weather station? How many of the earlier events since Feb 2017 verified as orange in a Dublin weather station?

I'm not really asking you two directly here, just posing questions as I don't know where to find the answers.

Look at the skyline of Dublin and count the cranes. At one stage around just my apartment there were 14 cranes. Yes cranes are designed against strong winds, but as well as cranes theres scaffolding, there's other building materials.

Also, you said, there have been more red warnings in the last 4 years than the previous 2 decades, which you put down to the system. I take it you ruled out climate change as a possible reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I walk, cycle, or take public transport everywhere, I work in an essential job so I'm out and about in most weathers. And I work outdoors or in outbuildings a fair amount. This has been one of the most unpleasant storms I have experienced in the Dublin area in a long time, since Storm Emma I would say. Probably influenced by passing an accident yesterday with tree on top of a car (thankfully no injuries apparently) and being walloped in the face by a branch myself this morning, leaving cuts and bruises.

This morning was horrible when I left the house at 5.45 - having delayed for 45 minutes to see if it would ease. Scary in the dark and plenty of debris to negotiate. And the whole day has been nasty, biting bitter cold, icy rain, and regular gusts. Miserable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Same here, do the media and weather stations have a pact to hype up every storm like it’s going to be the end of the world? I know they are paid to push the climate change narrative but they are only making themselves look silly in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Gusts have gotten pretty violent again this afternoon in D24. Was fairly calm all morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

ME include impact as well as purely on the forecast wind speeds/ gusts as far as I'm aware. Going on my local area, it's certainly been more impactful than a "normal" winter storm in terms of trees down, damage reports etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

The only people who "look silly" are the ones who see no storm at their house, and therefore extrapolate this as evidence to the other couple of million of us living in different parts of the country. Now, that's "silly".

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Central Meath here and it's worse than yesterday, especially the rain. Very cold and unpleasant. Had to save the polytunnel from being blown away in the night.

The only reason I had to venture out was our hyperactive dog who has to be pushed outside for potty when it's raining but her ball time is sacred and not even a full blown typhoon would stop her. I spotted a seagull sitting on the grass, looking extremely disgusted with the world and life, which brought a bit of joy into the otherwise dreary day because those fat vicious bastards are usually a bloody enthusiastic nuisance in the worst of the weather.

Hope it's over soon, it's like a never ending story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Snowing in Wicklow according to the NE radar, looking forward to seeing Kippure from my attic if the weather ever clears up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Closest Weather station to me highest gust from barra was 47mph. Not even 80kmh. I was only under a yellow warning tho before someone loses it. Was just a normal windy day for my location all in all. Children here are jealous a few miles to the west they're off school today, a bit bizarre.

It’s still extremely gusty here in North Sligo. Far, far windier than Ophelia. Our area missed the brunt of that storm but that doesn’t mean the storm didn’t happen. We were just in a lucky spot that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Apparently Met Eireann are saying it will be lingering until around 5pm. Might probably go for much longer, I imagine. I don't see the storm moving on around that time. Still getting heavy rain, and wind hasn't quite moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Mav11

Getting very nasty here in Stillorgan, gusts of over 50 knots in Dun Laoghaire harbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Gusts have been pretty consistent here since last night, haven't let up at all really. Not too much rain.

The proviso is that I live on a hill (smaller hill next to Tara Hill in north Wexford), and even last week had a day and night of gales, so I am totally used to this sort of weather. But it's never been sustained this long before.

Couple of trees fallen on the road last night that were cleared this morning, but no other signs or reports of damage anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Scarr had a covering earlier, but haven't been able to see it for hours due to the visibility!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It is extremely blustery and windy in Dublin 15 this afternoon, I've had the lights on all day too it's fairly dark and rainy out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

I drove passed the Goat pub about two hours ago and a tree had fallen down right into the road junction. That could have caused a serious accident but there did not appear to be any cars damaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Mace Head and Athenry are very different locations. You cant compare a weather station on the edge of the sea with a weather station 80kms away located near buildings, wooded areas and the raised motorway.

Advertisement