Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

As a Drogheda supporter, I'll be happy with third last again.

But I think that Rovers will absolutely walk the league again. They have a settled squad who are used to winning.

Derry will take time to gel and there is no guarantee that the new signings will work although they have signed very well. I remember when Drogheda had money in 2004, it took us 3 years to win a league.

I don't see both Pats and Dundalk competing. If SOD takes players from Inchicore, it weakens a Pats side with a new manager. And if he doesn't, Dundalk are starting from scratch and have a big job to do with no keeper and a lot of their best players gone.

Sligo might challenge but what should worry them is that almost every side took points from them last season (Longford?). Bohs will flatter to deceive if they lose players on top of Tierney already gone.

Then there is us (Drogheda), Harps & UCD. Harps have lost a few players but will surely pick up a few of Derry's spares. UCD are what they are whilst we have little idea who will be playing for us next season!

On the basis of what I see at the moment, Rovers could win it with half a series of games spare again.

I forgot Shels - fulltime but hard to know as well.

duff seems a tad touchy so it will be interesting to see how it works out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Actually like the new kit, oneills have done quite well with the kits the last few years, big step up from the Hummel kits (and I liked the chevrons)

Interesting move for Wardy to Dundalk, could anyone see him being the main man there or is he going in as backup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anybody see much of Brandon Kavanagh from Rovers/Bray, who we have also signed at Derry?

Good prospect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rahenyrover

Excellent prospect, really good footballer.

The only question mark for me is his willingness to work hard to succeed and that could be a really unfair question on my part to be fair to him.

He was part of Rovers plans last season but decided that instead of fighting for a place in the team he demanded a loan move for guaranteed football. On one hand I really admire his desire to want to just play football, on the other, he didn’t back himself to force his way into the team and with the squad Derry are putting together he likely won’t be a guaranteed starter there so will be interesting to see if he fights or demands a move down the line. My guess is he now wants to kick on and will fight for it, if so you’ve got a really good young prospect on your hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

For me I don't like the old badge much prefer the one you have as your profile av and I also never liked kits with that and the manufacturer in the middle. Just my thing. If that had of been the badge you have and it was in the normal position I would have bought it but those really do make it a no for me. Seems to have sold well though. Will be interesting to see what the away top looks like and will Bohemians continue the recent trend of espousing some cause with the away jersey again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rahenyrover

Yeah all fair points and exactly why I said it may be an unfair question on my part it’s just the only unknown. Agree he was really unlikely to break into the team but bear in mind when he left Towell wasn’t there, Danny had only signed and there was a big Jack and Aaron sized hole in the midfield that he could have fancied taking advantage of.

That said at his age it probably was better for his development to go out on loan and be guaranteed minutes. Genuinely interested to see how he progresses and hope he fulfils his potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Brando is an excellent prospect IMO, technically brilliant player and has a lot of potential. First impressions seeing him when he first broke through was that he will go very far but with some of the signings rovers made he got pushed down the pecking order.

The above posts are completely valid about why he didn't get more of a chance with rovers. But one thing I would say is that if a young lad that talented can't break into the first team then what chance do any of the academy players have? If you're not willing to give him a game then it must be disheartening for some of the current 17s and 19s looking at it.

Here's hoping we see plenty of him at the Brandywell this season and next then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Question for you all - why are Bohs not fulltime? They seem to have a better setup than a couple of other clubs who have gone that way.

I know the lack of european football is an issue but are there other reasons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

the one concern I'd have over Brandon Kavanagh is his physique. He's quite a slight lad. And he's very one-sided. two concerns 😀 He is a terrific footballer though with a fantastic eye for a pass, and I hope he does well for Derry. Two years in the First Division means he'll be upping his game quite quickly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's kind of just how the club operates. Less so now but generally the last couple of seasons a lot of the players would have worked day jobs, a lot of lads in full time education as well or doing post grads.

It was something the club could offer guys if not the wages of some other clubs, they could get an education or work a career at the same time.

In terms of training hours etc. they are the same as full time clubs, they just train in the evening. The concession being I suppose is your recovery when you're in work/college as good as a lad who's doing nothing all afternoon, or having to be up for work after arriving back from Ballybofey on a Monday night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not full time, just going to training in the mornings. Most players will still be working/studying alongside training/playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Shels and Bohs seem very alike (at least on paper)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dundalk get a manager yet?

Or coach even?

not officially announced yet. ( but everyone knows who it is.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,278 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ruairi Keating to Cork from us. He'll get goals when played as a CF in a team that play some football, we played him out wide in a working role all season, absolutely not suited to it. Some of our fans really didn't take to him, lack of effort, pulls out of tackles, poor attitude. I think that's slightly harsh on him.

I think he'll get goals playing centrally with service. We were never gonna use him that way so makes sense not to re-sign him I suppose.

• Advertisement

Dane Massey re-signs for Drogs and is made club captain.

Another reason for Drogs supporters to be optimistic.

For both positions, assume SOD for head coach ?

Thats mad, sure he resigned from pats from a contract he said he didnt have, wonder who the manager will be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Are you saying Bohs are doing this too? Great if they are.

Bohs would be getting hammered on social media if they did. Personally I think it's great, but also sad that it's left to football clubs to do this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Yes 2022 Shamrock Rovers will win the league. Lots of hype about Derry but we'll have to see how the team gells. Saying that I'm not at all convinced by the Rovers manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

I might be wrong on this but I think Buckley is the only current manager/head coach that has more honours than Bradley. He has had a big budget but according to the former Dundalk owners it was not the biggest in the league.

You could say Europe should be better but 2018 was an injury time defeat to AIK who went on to win the Swedish league that year. 2019 was a decent performance with a win over Brann and and extra time defeat against Apollon. 2020 was very unlucky that the best Rovers side of Bradleys time in charge came up against AC Milan in the 2nd round after winning the first round on penalties. This year was disappointing. Particularly the poor performance away to Tallin. Slovan and Tallin who beat rovers this season both got to the group stage though. They weren't push overs by any means. I cant remember the exact number but I think out of the Tallin 11 that started against Rovers 7 of them were starters for the Estonian national team. I think a few of their subs are usually in squads too.

What exactly would convince you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Poor Bohs. There whole shtick is sustainability but they can't even beat Sligo Rovers to the awards for it.

Dan Cleary to Derry?

There’s no post. Have I said? I hate this new site.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

He started the season quite well and then kind of had a bit of a gradual decline in form. Overall I’d say he’s a decent enough signing without being one to go mad over. Gilchrist on the other hand is a cracking signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

That crowd are our U19s front of sponsor already so assuming the forest thing is a avenue from that for the Senior teams.

Anyone know what the story is with LOITV next season? Hopefully it's continuing. (@Darkglasses might have some info)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Nice enough prize for that. More than most of the cup competitions anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Anyone else missing the games on a Friday night?!

I think other clubs may be starting to realize there's gold in them there green initiatives.

I also think he is an awful manager and a complete spoofer, what will convince me (it wont) is rovers playing decent football considering the midfield they have, they score a lot of late goals from hoofing it up the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Bradley a spoofer - that’s harsh .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭RamonD3

Mark of champions to never give up, this one was my favourite, all that was missing was the fans

https://youtu.be/Q7aRe_9FY7g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It still isn't set in stone, but I would still strongly assume that it is coming back next year and staying for the foreseeable future.

There's multiple-millions of euro in gambling revenues in play on it, the fans' annual passes are really just a sideshow in the grand scheme of it. As long as there is gambling demand then clubs will get the funding to have the consistent and all-encompassing streaming platform.

I'm curious to know if the likes of BWIN and bet365 are paying more now than they were back when the streams came from the trackchamp cameras. The betting sites were pulling streams straight from LOITV this season so obviously the quality of the feeds available to them is much improved. I think if I was a gambler I'd be much more likely to bet on a live stream now than back when it was trackchamp and you could barely make out what was happening.

They were paying €150k per year for trackchamp anyway. Maybe in the new year we'll get fresh figures when/if the deal is renewed again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Id doubt if there's been much of an increase in it.

Its a standard deal they struck with smaller league's around Europe where there's a decent interest from international gamblers. The Nordies league had it a year before it came in down here, so any increase here would have to be reflected in other leagues or they might pull the rights if a similar league was getting more than them.

The whole streaming/live TV thing is a red herring anyway. Clubs will only ever end up with a pittens out of it either through LOI TV or the betting companies.

Clubs should be looking for a deal like horse racing has where they get a % of revenue from gambling on their matches. That would be a game changer and very lucrative.

Don’t tracks get something per race off the tv (satellite) companies also?

i recall hearing somewhere that ( some tracks anyway) get so much a race (from the likes of ATR). And if they ran races to empty stadiums they would still make money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

There's definitely something in that. I don't know the ins and outs of it but there's greyhound racing ran specifically in the mornings here for people to gamble on around the world.

The link is a bit old but I know that they still have morning meetings in Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If LOITV is going to be used by bookies it might just be a matter of time before we have another match fixing scandal in our hands

There was that french investigative journalist who did a Twitter interview last month and talked about a lot of the bad stuff going on in football. He named Ireland as one of the countries when asked about match fixing and said it's a regular problem in the 3rd tier. Mentioned Limerick as well, but we all knew already that they were fixing matches in 2019. There was also Athlone who were supposedly at it, and those are just the obvious ones. I'm sure there's a load of fixing going on that goes unnoticed like betting on cards, corners, shots and so on.

The betting sites have been showing streams of games since 2016, but I don't think think that would be responsible for an uptick in match fixing tbh. It's been going on a long time.

• Advertisement

You couldn’t bet on a race at Harold’s Cross long before it closed. (Because bookies thought there was a good chance the race was fixed).

some of the goals in the French 2nd Division would have you scratching your head in disbelief.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement