Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

In theory, yes. No 10 is a pretty huge building though and it isn't as if he personally answers the front door and puts the cat out each night and sets the alram before he goes out. I believe his infamous flat is actually on the third floor of No 11, as what we call No 10 consists of numbers 10,11 and 12 plus the "House at the Back". All these are four story with basements and tunnels that lead all around Whitehall.

It may be his "Official Residence" but i would hardly call it "His House".

I would have thought that the Head of the Civil Service investigating something that appears to have been solely within the Civil Service is the appropriate thing to do.

The Prime Minister standing up in Parliament and blaming the whole thing on some civil servants that were there before the current government and will be after they leave?

Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,847 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Allegra Stratton who is the woman at the podium in that video has now resigned. I mean yes she shouldn’t have been saying what she said but she’s the messenger of the breaking of covid rules, and not as far as we know an attendee.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In fairness, she was making light of a situation where she knew people were breaking the rules so her position was untenable. However, will the PM be taken to task for allowing her to fall on his sword (pun not intended!)?

Here is her resignation video...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I actually think Stratton's speedy resignation probably damages Johnson, rather than helps him. She was caught out, admitted a serious error of judgement had taken place, resigned on the spot and made a tearful apology. This surely mounts considerable pressure on Johnson and his mates rather than helps them in any way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I agree with Seth Brundle. I missed Christmas last year. A friend of mine rang me in tears not knowing if he'd ever see his mother alive ever again. A lot of people made sacrifices to obey the rules and for the likes of her to just pour scorn on that is disgusting. Her crocodile tears do not change this. She's weeping because she has to face the consequences of her actions, not because she realised what she did was wrong. Good riddance IMO.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There is also potentially a sliver of good luck for Johnson here, given the first reports on Omicron are showing it to not be as contagious or lethal as Delta (open to correction here; I've generally tried to avoid CoVid news as much as possible). Can you imagine the pushback against the government if it had to initiate another bleak Christmas on the population - with this bombshell ringing in the nation's ears?

Fair points but she’s low hanging fruit and surely shouldn’t be the last if it was all fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But on the other hand, UK scientists are warning that the NHS could be hit by 1000 hospitalisations a day by New Year, so it's far from clear that the Covid situation is going in his favour. It sounds like he is in for a volatile three or four weeks (assuming he doesn't do a runner at some point).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Evidence seems to be that the new variant is more contagious but probably not as severe and vaccines should continue to protect against severe disease. The latest reports are that they will be announcing fresh restrictions, possibly as early as tomorrow, and this will go down like a lead balloon with certain members of the pm's party.

• Advertisement

I guess if her position was untenable, then you'd have to wonder about the others who are seen laughing and joking on the video, assuming they're still knocking around government or No.10 circles. Not that it has a huge material bearing on the pm's position. That's all purely about the video itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Whoever organised the party the day after the rules had been communicated to the public and if any senior politician went they should probably be looking over their shoulder.

It should also be noted that Allegra Stratton is married to James Forsyth, the political editor of The Spectator. Apparently, when they were wed, the best man was Rishi Sunak. Furthermore, Suank is godfather to their kids (and they to his).

James Forsyth works with Charlotte Edwardes, Robert Peston's partner (Peston being ITV News’ political editor).

Anyhow, getting back on topic, I wonder how ITV managed to get the video.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not saying she should but some accountability is better than none.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dont forget Dominic Cummings wife Mary Wakefield is also an editor at the Spectator, its all incredibly incestuous

When you have senior government figures claiming that there was [no party/no formal party/whatever other way around it that they can think of] then it becomes a problem. Who is lying?

However, for the past week we've had Raab, Johnson and other Tories tell the people that there was no wrong doing yet here we are today finding out what we already believed. Even today, Johnson continued to deny such a gathering took place. Christ, the man cannot stop lying.

This is yet another political mess showing Johnson's government to be absolutely inept and holds nothing but contempt for the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But if it was all one big golden circle including 'establishment' media surely ITV would never have made the video public. Are you suggesting there was a personal falling out somewhere among that coterie?

Interesting bits of info that I wasn’t aware of.I wonder if the Owen Patterson had been handled even remotely competently would this video have come out ? This video does have the bang of being kept in reserve for release when/if needed because it’s put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Meanwhile, the nationality and borders bill passes its third reading stage by 298 votes to 231. The bill includes a late government amendment that enables the home secretary to strip people of their British citizenship without giving notice, a change that tory mp David Davis has written critically about. Will have to check whether he voted the bill through anyway.

I'm not suggesting a big conspiracy but it does look odd.

The fact that the video has been held onto for the past year before being made public leads me to think that this is all orchestrated. By whom? I don't know (one potential conspiracy theory is that it was Johnson himself that released it to distract from the recent news about rescuing dogs over people from Kabul)

• Advertisement

I dont think the post was any way off topic tbh. Allegra Stratton is also best mates with Carrie Johnson and the Spectator was defending her this morning, as has Peston on twitter. It's all a small golden circle that wields so much power to shape and influence events. Recall how the Telegraph went to war for over a week on behalf of Owen Paterson. May not have worked on this occasion, but not for want of trying. Nobody should lay bets on Strattons next port of call being The Spectator itself.

Also, intriguing that neither the Telegraph nor the Sun carried reports of the leaked video on their front pages. Wonder why is that.

Good to know I’m not the only one thinking alone those lines. You asked who leaked the video, which you’d think would be a simple enough question to answer, because the people who have access to/control over that feed can’t be massive. You’d wonder did Allegra statton piss someone within Downing Street off where they knew of the footages and waited. And even as she’s saying it it’s clear she realises that what she’s said could be recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I don't think we can say that with certainty. Her tears seemed geuine enough to me. Lots of people in very weighty positions say flippant things and use black humour when they think they're behind closed doors. Doesn't mean she's not serious about her job and the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sun Deputy Editor is ex No 10 I believe.

Brooks loyalty was to Cameron not Johnson so it's unlikely to be coming from up higher.

Suggestion I read was that the Sun allegedly had a party on the very same day itself so that could be one possible reason for its, eh, editorial decision to downplay this seismic story. The Telegraph? God only knows.

Edit: that's as reported by Private Eye today, I believe.

Possibly but nepotism, deceit, incompetence and corruption are the watchwords of this government and have been for some time. I think she's upset about having to step down, ie actually face some accountability which is something of a novelty here nowadays.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Sun's party has been well reported in Private Eye (and Popbitch probably first). They're well capable of hypocrisy so that'd not stop a story on another party on its own!

Both it and a "quick! Fill the desks!" visit by Murdoch caused COVID outbreaks in their offices, again according to Private Eye

Quite a good setup at Boris's press conference at the moment. They took questions from the public.

Oh yeah, no question about that. If Cummings is to be believed, and there's a reasonable enough chance he's playing some role in all this, there were a number of reporters at the party/business meeting and, frankly, I'd be more surprised if there hasn't been. I have very little doubt there is quite a bit of mileage left in this one yet.

• Advertisement

I believe you are paraphrasing there.

I understand Johnson said he had been assured no party took place and all rules were followed.

maybe the whistleblower who claimed this party took place should name and shame. Although they will probably be naming and shaming people no k w has heard of, which would more or less kill the story.

Advertisement