Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor for new build

Options
  • 03-12-2021 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hello there, busy getting quotes for solicitor for purchase of new build home on an estate (Kildare near Dublin), cheapest I've found so far is 1.5k plus VAT. Wondering how much a "cheap" solicitor can actually ruin process given that house not supposed to be available until Q1 at earliest, more likely Q2, yet supposed to be signing contract in next couple of weeks. Will any delays matter that much if a cheaper solicitor takes his/her time (though I definitely don't want to delay the ultimate ready date)?

A secondary question is that I wonder how many hours work a new build actually takes a solicitor for that kind of money, not least given that the contracts are generally not even negotiable, and whether I could even do it myself (not legally trained but experience with/pretty good at reading legal bumph). Wouldn't dream of it if it were a second-hand home, but given the context I wonder if it's possible at all. Though I'm a cash buyer I'm not an investor and I need to save every penny I can.

Thanks a million!

Comments

This should assist you. Go for DIY conveyancing at your peril (irishtimes.com)

I don't believe it's possible if you've a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 martin18

Thanks, PF, interesting article but very little of it applicable to Phase 2 of a very large new development by a major building company. No mortgage involved either in my case.

Any further insight much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Doing it yourself would be highly inadvisable.

Do you know how to read title? That is, folios if it is registered, deeds of conveyance or assignment if it is unregistered? To add to that, do you know how to properly check maps? If there are charges in place do you know how to deal with deeds of partial release down the line? Do you know how to adequately check if the property/estate has the correct easements and wayleaves? Do you know how to review structural insurance documents? Do you know how to ensure there is proper indemnities in place for things like roads and services while they await being taken in charge by the council? Do you have access to ROS to properly put through your stamp duty return? Do you know how to put an application through to the land registry and deal with any queries if that happens? Do you know how to review planning documents and obtain from the other side the correct confirmations that planning contributions have been paid to the council? Do you know how to review Declarations of Identity and the maps with same? Do you know how to review certificates of compliance with planning and building regulations? To add to that, can you do up your own snag list when the completion notice is received? There's even more involved that just what I mentioned.

My advice. Just get a solicitor. They will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

For me, to avoid spending 1.5-2k on a solicitor when purchasing a house is unwise. Just think, what if the house would cost 2k more than what you're paying? would that make you not spend that money?

We are probably talking about a 0.25% of the value of the house (or even less)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The old saying comes to mind - "If you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you hire an amateur"

The risk vs reward is just not worth it OP, if you want to save money then get a second hand suite of furniture, sleep on a mattress for a few months, don't do any decorating - things that you can get away with for a while. The legal thing is one you want to make sure is done correctly because if it isn't there is no going back, and in the grand scheme of things is money well spent for the peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Your willing to buy a home for probably north of 300k and won't spend 1.5k on a solicitor. Baffling

The 300k is over 25 years or so. The 1.5k is an immediate cost. That's why.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,585 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Advertisement