Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bagrat Kudzievi

Options

Comments

These mis-characterisations of what's being said become very tiresome and the thread becomes unreadable. Earlier that poster asked me what wasn't transparent about the process, I answered that the defendant wasn't quoted anywhere and there was no mention of the passerby women. They replied with "so you should have gone to the trial" I mean it's as if that poster is purposefully just obscuring and deflecting. They recommended that I should have taken time off work, travelled to Cork, spent money on travel and accomodation, during a pandemic no less. Just for a question posed on a message board, that they asked me about. Infuriating is not strong enough of a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

The risk of getting assaulted while legless drunk in a nightclub with 200+ guys is way higher than the risk of getting assaulted in a taxi. Agreed?

Not agreed at all. A nightclub is a busy place with lots of people. Being in a taxi is alone with a man. How many rapes have you heard of that occurred In a nightclub or started In a nightclub. The vast majority of rapes I have heard about are when a woman is alone with a man.

I wouldn't say a girl (or guy) is responsible for being attacked by a close friend or a taxi driver. Those are just situations where attacks are quite rare.

So is being taken from a nightclub and being assaulted outside. Why does one rare occurrence mean a girl is responsible but another rare occurrence means she is responsible.

Just imagine it was your sister or child if you have one. Would you want her to be blackout drunk in a busy club? Multiple times? How many sexual assaults would it take for you to suggest that she doesn't get legless drunk in that environment? 5? 20? There is an issue with spiking in clubs and in any given club there are going to unfortunately be some predatory men there looking for women to take advantage of. Do you think that's not the case?

I wouldn't advise anyone to get legless drunk. Not would I blame them if sometjing awful happened to them.

Everyone knows you shouldn't get blackout drunk. But it happens. People misjudge their intake or lose track once they get intially tipsy. The blame game helps nobody. I could patronizingly lecture my daughter or sister all I like. Won't make a blind bit of difference.

And if I lecture them AFTER and assault then I'd just be being a c**t.

Would you be ok with her going out and getting blackout drunk to the point where she doesn't know where she is, in crowded clubs every week?

Why is this part gendered. I hope you would equally advise your son to not get blackout drunk.

Nobody said anything about getting blackout drunk every week. I would advise want individual whether male or female, related to me or not to not get blackout drunk every week.

However, anyone who drinks even a little has the potential to occasionally drink too much, misjudge their intake, etc.

Would you tell your daughter who got drunk one weekend that she must accept responsibility for her own rape?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

So I asked this of the other poster, do both parties have to be equally drunk? What is the level of drunkenness that someone can be said to not have the facilities for decision making? You say in this case the person had the capacity to carry someone which might suggest they were not that drunk, whilst the Gardai said they were too drunk to be questioned. Where is the line?

If anyone is in any way drunk they can't be questioned until cleared as a poster pointed out earlier.

If someone shows high level goal oriented decision making such as carrying someone to a quieter location to carry out an assault then they can consent.

Simples.

I have already explained early on in the thread why gardai did not interview him.

short version, it's a defence in court for him to say gardai interviewed him when drunk, so Anyone with even one drink on them is not interviewed. Also, it stops the clock if a doctor signs it off. Which means that the 12 hours gardai have to interview don't start until a doctor says. So instead of the middle of the night being interviewed by uniform gardai working nights, the members working early in the morning come in and start to interview.

• Advertisement

That poster told you, as is fact, that a newspaper report does not report all details of all trials, how could they!

that same poster suggested if you are interested in criminal trials that you go sit in on one. Which I recommended, as they are very interesting.

Cannot see how you could take any.offence from a poster giving you advise🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I mean, you have to be doing this on purpose. He didn't ask you to explain why the gardai did not interview the accused(and now convicted)

?

Why would I not explain why it happened?

he said he was confused. Why do you have a problem with me explaining how things work in the real world?

He is saying they were both drunk, do you dispute that they were both drunk?

This is the explanation I wanted. So is this in law in terms of defining legal consent?

• Advertisement

And who is he to say that they were both drunk?

I have explained why he wasn't interviewed until later.

I have explained what is needed to prosecute this crime, and that is intent.

Two drunk people, having sex, there is no intent.

Jesus, it's not rocket science!

I have explained many times what is needed. There is no legal consent.

consent is consent. How hard is that to understand?

If the offender knows there is no consent or doesn't care whether there is consent, then he commits an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

You haven't explained that he was not drunk.

You have explained that he may have had only one drink or maybe not, maybe he had ten, all we know is that the gardai described him as intoxicated.

The argument that he had enough cognition to carry someone off to a quieter spot is an argument that he was "sober enough". It's just not well defined, i know myself I can do a lot of things while inebriated at a struggle, like write code or ride a bike but this suggests that if you are sober enough to have intent and execute it, then you are sober enough to consent?

It will be up to a jury to decide whether someone was capable of consent or not. There is no simple definition in terms of units of alcohol.

To commit a crime he has to have intent.

intent for a sexual assault mean that he knew there was no consent, or he was reckless(didn't care) whether there was consent or not.

He was found guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Yes, it is still a crime.

Why do you think the Gardai have crime prevention officers, giving advice such as "lock your bike tightly to an immovable object"? Shure leave it unlocked and if it's robbed and it's still a crime and not your fault.

https://www.garda.ie/en/crime-prevention/crime-prevention/#:~:text=Crime%20Prevention%20Officers,the%20private%20and%20business%20community.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

I think I agree in general if it's a mistake like you're making it out e.g misjudging alcohol intake and getting hammered. There is a difference between doing that and going out to get hammered.

But I am trying to get at if someone is intentionally taking risks. For example you used a bike example in a subsequent post and I have had a bike stolen because I didn't lock it correctly. Simple mistake and I take responsibility for it and have locked my bike properly since. But your argument is that if I willingly decide to leave my bike unlocked tomorrow and then come back later and see it's robbed then it's not my fault at all. You can make that argument all day but my bike is still robbed and will be again if I do the same thing the next day. You can tell me it's not my fault again when the new bike gets robbed the next day but I'll still have to splash out on a new bike. If you tell me that I should buy a lock and lock the bike what will you say when I tell you it's not my fault if it gets robbed and I'm going to continue to leave it unlocked. You have to agree with me right? It's not my fault if it gets robbed if I do it again and again. Maybe on the 50th bike you'd tell me that it might be partially my fault?

You simply seem to never be able to get to a stage where you hold someone partially responsible and that's not a healthy outlook for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭golondrinas

And they want you to believe there are only 17,000 here. Wait until you see what comes out of the woodwork.

I think I agree in general if it's a mistake like you're making it out e.g misjudging alcohol intake and getting hammered. There is a difference between doing that and going out to get hammered.

Do you have any reason to believe that this girl went out intending to get this drunk? Most women I know do not intend to lose their senses on a night out.

As for the bike analogy and intentionally taking risks, your analogy is highly flawed. You need to evoke the idea of someone having 50 bikes robbed and still putting themselves in the same high risk situation to make your argument.

It's pretty obvious that most women who get raped have not been raped 50 times before, and that if you go to a nightclub 50 times and get legless you will not get assaulted 50 times. It's not a high risk situation no matter what you believe.

Your analogy might make sense if a woman was getting blackout drunk while hanging out in the sexual offenders section of a maximum security prison after having already been assaulted there 50 times.

But the fact that your analogy needs to be so twisted and outlandish speaks for itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,925 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It also invokes the idea that anyone who is the victim of someone else’s criminal behaviour somehow deserves it.

Well one bike robbed would be enough to make the point nevermind 50 but I have to go to extremes to prove that your logic wouldn't place any responsibility on the person in the most extreme circumstances. You have to place her in a sexual offenders unit and have her intentionally get drunk having been raped 50 times before that, before you can perhaps tell her that the 51st time it happened she might have been at fault somewhat.

I don't know whether or not the girl intended to get that drunk. I've gone out myself intending to drink a huge amount and get hammered so it does happen but in this instance I would say it was just an inexperienced student drinking too much. I never really had a problem with this case by the way, I was just responding to people who would never place the blame on someone for putting themselves into a risky situation, ever. I think once the guy lifts her away and you have the bouncers having to get involved because they were concerned for her safety then it's pretty cut and dry unless the guy has a good story to suggest otherwise which I highly doubt.

Well one bike robbed would be enough to make the point nevermind 50 but I have to go to extremes to prove that your logic wouldn't place any responsibility on the person in the most extreme circumstances. You have to place her in a sexual offenders unit and have her intentionally get drunk having been raped 50 times before that, before you can perhaps tell her that the 51st time it happened she might have been at fault somewhat.

I didn't come up with the 50 times thing. You did. I brought it up in the context of rape to illustrate how silly it was to make analogy where the bad thing that happened was the 50th occurrence and the person is still engaging in high risk behaviour.

And no having one bike robbed is extremely different from having 50 bikes robbed. Someone could be religious about locking up their bike and on one occasion make an error and accidentally leave it unlocked. That's not irresponsibility it's just being a human.

I successfully close my apartment door a few times a day every day for the last 7 years. On one occasion went to leave my apartment and discovered I had left the door open. Does that make me an irresponsible person? Would you getting on your high horse and telling me I shouldn't have done it make any difference to my future behaviour considering I did not intend to do it?

And again, it's not about never placing the blame.on someone who displays risky behaviour. It's that the behaviour isn't all that risky. You've shown nothing to even vaguely support the idea that being very drunk in a nightclub is high risk while being drunk alone In a taxi with an unknown man driving you is low risk.

We all engage in low risk behaviours. It's extremely hard to go through life without doing so. And it's not our fault if we are unlucky enough for a predator to exploit the little risk that occurs in a low risk scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

The point surely is that getting so drunk you remember nothing of the next day is in general high risk. Go take a look at A and E departments on a Saturday night.

Agreed. Risk that you might do damage to yourself.

if someone else does damage to you, then it's all on them.

Whether it's all on the other person or not, the victim will have to live with the consequences of being raped for the rest of their lives.

Yes, it is. But of course, unfortunately, by getting into that state, you've increased the risk of such an opportunist taking advantage of you in such a way.

The risk may be increased, it doesn't however assign any blame to the victim.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What point are you making if you’re saying otherwise?

Advertisement