Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭hometruths

i agree it is less credible than the former explanation, but if the former explanation is not true then then the only credible remaining theory is that the population figures are incorrect, and underreported.

i.e there are the guts of 500k foreign baristas etc who hide in plain sight at census time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

not long ago, you was confidently arguing that there is oversupply in housing stocks. And suddenly "housing stock is at full capacity" is a credible case. 

As you see, the situation with housing is complex. And might be totally opposite to initial opinion.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭hometruths

I'm still arguing we have more houses than we need. it's not that complex:

i.e either our population figures are correct and there is an artificial housing supply shortage of the stock, or our population figures are incorrect and the housing stock is at full capacity...

...it is one or the other. The former seems the most likely to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The denial phase.

"If you add another €1.5bn, that I've plucked from the sky, to the current transacted amount we could have our strongest year ever".

The office vacancy rate rose from 5 per cent in 2019 to 10.7 per cent currently, and will peak at about 14 per cent in 2022. Rents have eased by about 7.5 per cent and the market will continue to evolve in favour of tenants in 2022 and into 2023.

Overall, with €3.5 billion investment turnover so far, and potentially €5 billion for the year, the market is robust and suggests strong liquidity. Remarkably, we may have the second strongest year ever, and continued growth, when supply realigns with demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We have very little information on vacant property. One of the biggest owners of vacant property are the LA.

The problem with vacant property is the cost of doing it up. Legally you have to bring it to Ber rating A or B. At present building costs are 130-200/ sqft depending on where in the country you are. Building that are vacant for 10 it more years may need serious amount of work to become habitable.

An an awful lot of these properties are along streets of towns and villages. Many have not been lived in for 20 years or more as people moved away from living directly on streets in towns and villages. Many have been accumulated by individuals either as an investor or through inheritance.

Then there is the accommodation above commercial premises that have become virtually impossible to use through fire regulations and insurance costs.

If we assume most of these need complete refurbishment at, near or maybe above new build costs you see the problem. A thousand sqft building would cost 100-200k to refurbished and that might only be to builders finish

If you then decide to rent it is there an economic return. Assuming that the dearest costs if refurbishment is in Dublin and the cheapest in rural Ireland then looks at the returns. Many of these smaller properties would be 2 or 3 bed. In Dublin 2-2.5k/ month or 22-27k/ year( allowing for vacancy between rentals) on a 200k investment on paper seems good but in reality with Irish tax laws is not very attractive. You also have to factor in present rental laws and

In a small town or village, it might make 6-800/ year or 6.5-9k, with a larger risk of vacancy as well as probably providing HAP housing.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

And that's before you even get into planning issues with refurbishing derelict houses, planners will put you through the ringer to maintain as much of the original structure and features as possible pushing the build costs even higher trying to meet the building regs with an old structure, you'd need to be getting a badly derelict house almost free to make it worthwhile considering the potential unknown costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Rte should start a show called hammered homes to compete with homes under the hammer. This show will detail all the reasons why homes under the hammer is a fraud and old houses are useless and Eveything must be new.

CIF have offered to sponsor the show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The census is a snap shot on one night in April. AFAIK if you are not home that night your home is considered ''vacant''. It does not mean the home is permanently vacant and that there is no one living there.

The average household size in UK is 2.4, in the US it is 2.5. Probably long term Ireland's average house hold should be 2.5. Ireland has a slightly younger population than the UK and US so perhaps there is justification for it being slightly higher today.

Lets make a presumption that today we should have a household size of 2.5 and by the fact we have 2.7 shows that there is under supply today. Given Ireland's 5m population that would mean we are 150k houses under supplied today. Let say we want to get rid of this over a 10 year period as well as providing accommodation for the population growth over the next 10 years. If the population will grow annually by 50k, swell as clearing the back log of under supplied homes. This would equate in us building 20k a year for the population increase and 15k a year to clear the back log. This would be about 35k a year.

Listening to Sturgeon there. She is absolutely bricking it. Going on about the R number of omicron being over 2. Completely caught up in the numbers. She needs to calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well I won't be using that omicrom stuff to insulate my house then. An R of 2 is near useless, needs to be at least 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Carol Talon reporting on yesterday's newstalk breakfast that many of these bank of mum and dad deposits are in fact credit union loans that their children would be expected to meet the repayments.

More than likely still cheaper than renting, but yet more evidence of the bubble aggressively inflating to compete against the state and investment funds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

There has always been this kind of thing going on I did this with my first mortgage as well to meet the LTV ratio needed to get the loan and we were not in a bubble when this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Can't imagine folks in DonnyBrook are too happy with this,

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭bleaks

With Avant cutting their interest rates from tomorrow, would people expect other providers to follow suit in the coming weeks/start of new year to remain competitive?

Kielys is no Cobblestone. That objection seems like a reach.

Is there anything problematic with this other than NIMBYism?

No good reason to object. That is the N11 going outside the development, a main road from Dublin City all the way south through Wicklow with multiple bus routes going right outside the door. Further, it is not a far walk into town from the development. There are zero residential streets to be burdened with the new development so any objections are fundamentally and absolutely NIMBY based.

Will be good to see that development go up as Kielys is a large premises sitting idle for a few years at this stage which is tragic for a village so close to the city centre. Donnybrook as a village has a large number of vacant commercial premises, it looks like a bit of a kip at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Good point in comparing with other advanced economies. Although the calculation methodologies might be bit different.

Due to ramp up in construction I believe we are currently at the point where household size in Ireland is starting to go slowly down after decade of increase/stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭wassie

Probably not. As discussed just recently, Avants lending criteria is so strict they only lend to only the most prime borrowers which rules outs the vast majority of folk looking for a mortgage. The other lenders know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Is Avants lending criteria that strict? whats the rationale for saying they rule out the vast majority?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yeah its a funny one, a combination of Nimbys, poor public transport and other social trends are slowly killing any life that was in that area.

pretty difficult to generate any sort of village atmosphere with the n11 going right through it, although even when i lived there 20 years ago i never felt donnybrook had much going on as a village although i enjoyed kielys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭wassie

Yes (to avail of the lowest rates) - Because the vast majority of borrowers don't have 20% deposits, LVRs, serviceability & income criteria. Also it is not available in all locations - typically major urban areas. My broker said he doesnt write a lot of loans as they are only interested in taking the cream (i.e. lowest risk borrowers). Doesnt seem like a strategy in attracting market share.

There's even a view held on other forums that Avant's not in it for the long term in the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Maybe this isn't the thread to post this however I was wondering why are houses in Dalkey, at say the 700/800 price range, going for much more over the asking than in Blackrock/Monkstown/Booterstown areas? I would have thought those three areas would be seen as more desirable and obviously closer to town.

Again a very general and overly simplistic comment which I'm sure is happening everywhere in the country but it seems houses in say, Dalkey, go online and immediately are sale agreed way over the asking much sooner than the above three locations which I personally prefer.

They have broadened the locations (it is nationwide now) and the majority of mortgage holders will meet the leverage requirements (this isnt just new mortgages it is switchers also). I dont think that stands up to scrutiny to be honest.

Dalkey is probably the most desirable part of Dublin now, it has its own social scene, still on the dart line and if you are wfh where better to be (you have the sea, killiney hill etc in close proximity). That said there arent too many houses in the 700-800k range so im not surprised they sell quickly.

Being close to town is getting less important.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Houses in say Mapas estate have gone extremely expensive, nothing under €800k, these days which is somewhat extreme. The same goes for normal houses around Hyde Park, granted not 4 bedrooms plus, and neighbouring roads in Glenageary estates. Where total wrecks are going for €750k (and well over asking) but still need at least €200k work. These are all mind boggling figures.

Houses are up around 40% in the past 5 years in Dalkey from what i can see. Mapas is a very ordinary estate but its in a prime location.

Also i would suggest that 200k doesnt go as far as you might hope in terms of getting a wreck right..

Evergrande is officially in default and has been downgraded by Fitch - the next couple of years are going to be catastrophic for China.

Closer to home. the Central Bank's deputy governor had a speech published today on the regulator's website. One thing that drives me mad is seeing statements along the lines of "It's expensive in Ireland, but....it's expensive in other places", like what does that mean? How is it a "but"? A but in this context is generally, in my experience, used by those who don't want to see affordability challenges overcome and essentially are pretty happy with the status quo in the housing market "No sex please, we're Irish". Unsurprising from our Central Bank to see such a pitiful ode to the crisis, I've already stated my position on their post-08 performance.

Her statements smack of the "thoughts and prayers" comments on social media when someone has died or "share to raise awareness"; utterly useless and self-serving. However, you'd think the deputy governor of the regulator might be more concerned about house prices rocketing to Celtic Tiger levels, increasing 90%+ in 9 years. "This time it's different" - for sure it ain't.

https://www.centralbank.ie/news/article/housing-policy-should-focus-on-the-sustainable-supply-of-housing-to-meet-the-growing-needs-of-citizens-deputy-governor-sharon-donnery-9-december-2021

Ms. Donnery said “for a sample of advanced economies in recent years, relatively high levels of house prices to incomes has been a widespread phenomenon. This, of course, will not provide any great solace to those trying to purchase a home, but it is important to place the Irish experience in its full context.”

"Thoughts and prayers".

She said, “Looking at the Irish housing market, and considering whether there is enough supply to meet demand, I believe the answer is clear. Demand for housing is strong and supply has not kept pace.” In this regard, the Deputy Governor noted that “unsustainable levels of credit will not lead to a sustainable supply of new homes. If anything, it risks the re-emergence of a credit price spiral and another painful boom-bust housing cycle.” She continued, “The challenges facing the wider housing market, around sustainability of supply and house price affordability, would not be addressed by excessive indebtedness of households or imprudent lending.”

She gets paid for making comments like that?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just because she isn't saying what you want to hear doesn't make she is wrong. 😊

Advertisement