Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

In the meantime your car will also tell you as above, look for "no Recent Supercharging".

Tesla can and do withdraw free SuC for any car that makes it's way back to them via CPO sales anywhere along the line. I have free SuC but if I traded into Tesla for say, a Model 3 then Tesla would remove the free SuC

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You can either get the prior owner to check if it has SC01 on their portal, or wait.

Other clues are the "no recent supercharging" in the MCU but this is not 100% accurate. Plenty of cars from 2017-2019 were sold with free but non transferable supercharging. In order to have free transferable supercharging the car needed to be delivered before Q2 2017. If you have a car delivered from April 2017 onwards the free supercharging is not transferable. If it's a 172 plate, it is not transferable (unless it was a showroom model sold by Tesla themselves, these unicorns exist).

It's possible to buy a 2019 car that shows "no recent supercharging" and the currentowner has free supercharging, however the act of adding it to your account removes the free supercharging.

LOL, €242 more expensive for Tesla to replace two tyres than locally (Michelin Primacy 3 Tesla spec with foam inserts on both quotes)

Setting aside the Tesla Vs Local, are the Tesla spec really worth the differential over say, OEM Michelin Primacy 3s?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

LOL!

Why??? For an out of warranty car? They both use the exact same parts (not made by Tesla), the parts are fitted by qualified mechanics. There is zero difference.

If you want to overpay Tesla, why don't you just transfer some money into their bank? 😂

• Advertisement

Oh, I agree, I won't be using Tesla for tyres.

Anyhow, any comments on tyres ye guys are running on?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I had Pirelli P-Zero on my P85+.

Found them good but were prone to the front wheel crabbing on small tight turns and over surface changes. Seems to be a common Tesla issue with the 21" wheels and it was also present in some Porsches depending on the choice of tyre.

On my current P90DL, also with the 21" wheels, i have Continential Contisport 5p (T0). If find them good, better than the Pirelli but i only have them on since August so the difference could simply be the newer car and new tyres etc

Personally speaking, i dont find a huge difference between most of the top branded tyres. I have Nexen on my 520d and i find them one of the best tyres ive ever used!

Never knew the word for it, but my car has that really badly in winter. When I reverse out of my driveway in the cold first thing in the morning with steering fully locked to the left, you get a horrible feeling and noise, as if the tyre is falling off the rim. Crabbing, is that what you call it?

I'll check in a minute exactly what front tyres I have. I really want that gone with the next set of front tyres I will buy :-(

I have exact same issue, why my car is in Sandyford right now

Michelin Primacy 245/45r19 on all 4 corners. I'm pretty sure these were OEM tyres in the UK when my car was new.

Don't even bother mentioning it to Tesla, slave1. They'll tell you it's a feature of the car, LOL. Well I guess it's not their fault if it can be fixed by changing the OEM tyre to a different one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

To be fair to Tesla my wife had an A7 and it used to do that as well. You'd reverse out in the morning and on full lock you thought the tyre had come off the rim. Fierce annoying.

Well I just checked my rears with a tyre gauge and the rears need replacing, they are Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5

On the front I have same on the Passenger side and a Primacy 3 on the Drivers side which is annoying, I'd look to change all 4 but the depth of the fronts are 4/5/5 inside to out so they are too good to replace (my brain tells me)

You could try and find a part worn from a quality supplier (that x-ray them) to match either of the fronts?

Either that or fork out for 4 tyres. Two different tyres on the same axle is a complete no-no to me, even though it's not the driven wheels.

Yeah that’s it.

tesla checked over mine last year. They said it was a characteristic of the car, highlighted even further by the 21” wheels and the Pirelli tyres which are not OEM. One of the lads on the Tesla FB group had the same issue too.

really noticeably on full lock and coming down off a slight kerb pr going from one surface to another.

Yes there is a big manhole cover on the road that the front right wheel goes over when it happens. Could very well be the chance of surface you mention.

Tesla also told me it was "a feature" of the car

I would love if that feature would disappear if I get a different make / model of tyre next time. Any ideas on this?

I'm going to get all 4 corners replaced, my preference is Michelin Primacy 4 acoustics.

I'll let you know if the crabbing disappears.

After rakes of phoning around and looking online, going with these guys

770604_fcs_en.pdf (tyrelabelling.eu)

How much you getting them for delivered? I guess add €15 to that per corner for fitting, balancing and recycling your old tyres in your local tyre shop?

Marginally more expensive to get at local tyre shop so I couldn't be arsed in ordering myself and taking to them to do (€20/corner) so just getting local place to do it all, €1040 all in.

Let us know about the crabbing! If I'm to invest another grand in the car, I want to make sure it doesn't do that 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Vinnymcdonnell

Logbook arrived yesterday so was able to add the car to my account, Happy days it does have the free supercharging! Also have it booked in for MCU2 upgrade and while there they will also be fitting HW3 computer and the CCS Charging

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Did the car come with FSD, is that why they're fitting HW3?

+1

They won't fit HW3 unless you've (or the previous owner/s) paid for FSD. Not just subscription but the full chunk upfront. Otherwise it's just the MCU that changes.

If you have AP2 /2.5 hardware then for me it's worth paying for FSD to get the HW3 fitted. It's a big leap forward from 2/2.5

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

Afflicted by this issue too and really noticeable now that the temp has dropped in the last few weeks. Will be super interested to see if the Primacy 4 tyres are the answer. I have Primacy 3's 245/45R19s and the 'crabbing' is awful.

The colder temp make it more noticeable alright.

I'm noticing it now on the OEM Continential Tyres too. Its just something you'll have to live with.

This is all a bit strange, had the car well over a year and only happening now.

In my case the variant is worn tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

Grrrr! More first world problems !

Dear BobbyBingo

We’re contacting you regarding the timing of your Model S order. As we ramp up production, launch timings for markets outside North America have been delayed. We will further update you on delivery timings through your Tesla Account as the production of your Model S approaches. In order to expedite delivery of existing orders, including your Model S order, as much as possible we will for now no longer accept new orders for Model S and Model X in markets outside North America. Your Model S will continue to adhere to the price at the date of ordering unless you modify your vehicle configuration. If you would like to apply your Order Fee to a different model or receive a full refund, request a call to speak directly with a Tesla Advisor. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Best Regards,

The Tesla Team 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

It's probably good news for existing S/X owners who are looking to sell in the next few years. Supply of second-hand Teslas was already low anyway, Brexit made it worse and this will take the bottom out of the market completely.

End of Midlife Tesla models will hold value very well, I'm talking the LR ones not ones tagged 100D etc.

The new interior is a bit Marmite for an existing S owner, I can see many jumping ship to alternative makes especially if the SuC opened up.

I would not (cost aside) buy the new S with just the single screen and instrument stick eliminations, i really like the screen behind the wheel and the larger screen in current S and portrait mode

• Advertisement

I'm not really for or against the new interior. What would hold me off buying a new S/X is the supercharger network opening up or not. If it opens up then I'd be more likely to choose a BMW iX, or a Taycan/etronGT etc than a Tesla. Tesla loses its USP.

Assuming the network is opened up, the only Tesla I'd be interested in would be an older S/X with free supercharging, a used P100DL model X, or the cybertruck I have on order. IE the base attraction to "any tesla" i had as a former fanboy is gone and its only the niche products I'd be interested in.

Advertisement