Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

what's confusing you?

I can understand why a journalist would not spend 45k on a EV or any one else for that matter, I made the point that a 45k car for me would only give me 46 km to spare on a regular trip, in summer time, not winter, not rainy, not any other time , in summer, its absolutely useless, I picked the airport run because its an important trip most people make and something you dont need any extra hassle or faffing around with chargers, I also made the point that such a trip only cost me 30 euro, its only one scenario would you like more?

Read any thread here for ecars, you might learn something,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

The difference is an ice has to do that regularly, every week? An EV had to do it 3 or 4 trips a year. That's a difference for 40+ garage stops a year. And on those trips you'd be stopping for fuel, coffee, toilet, lunch anyway so it's no longer in an EV. Last two cross country trips I've been on the food wasn't ready from burger king or supermacs by the time the car was recharged enough to get me home.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Its at least 2 times a year some times 4, for the sake of 30 euro a trip I am not going to invest 45 k ( would not spend that much anyway) in a car that might or might not need a stop, I could stop for petrol, normally I would get it before the trip, but if I do stop I know I will have it done in 5 minutes not guessing praying or waiting on some 2014 leaf.

That's the classic false equivalency that journos make. If you are not in the market for a new car that cost's around €45k, then why are you looking at one and complaining it's expensive against a €20k second hand car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Random enough. Today I helped (over the phone) someone to start a charge on an Octavia PHEV the guy just picked (in a different country) brand new. First the guy was puzzled by how quickly the battery depleted; less than 40km. He was on a 500 km drive and wanted to charge while on a snack break. I told him it is kinda pointless but curiosity... So I managed to start his charger with plugsurfing app after explained which side of the cable where and so on. His break was of exact 39 minutes, time in which he got 2.29kWh and the car reported 9 km range. Pointless to say the guy was deflated. I've checked the specs the car should have 13kWh battery but specced range 65km. Pretty bad @ 20kWh/100km. What's funny though the WLTP of this car is 1l/100km petrol. It's a company car so not his choice but neither his company nor his apartment have chargers or even chargers nearby. He's driving 1000s of km a week and will carry that battery across Europe for the sake of some tax credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,939 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

EV charge at home 95% of the time. I know, I've done over 150k electric km so far. Including 60k in a leaf24 with mostly home based granny cable only charging. However EVs will not charge on fast chargers at a traditional service station in an emergency only. That's nonsense.

The rest of your post is quite frankly bunkum in this forum to a poster who has spent almost €100k to date on EVs, driven them, complained about them, bought different ones etc and generally posted honest good and bad opinions about the reality of driving EVs

Looking at your 2012 join date I can only guess you don't post here much if you're targeting that drivel at me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Popular EV is third car in history to get zero stars, while Dacia's new Spring EV lands just one star

"When we first tested the Zoe, it did reasonably well and had all the elements you needed back then to get a reasonable score. But if you've still got the same design 10 years later, you aren't going to score as well.....the previous model's five-star verdict wouldn't necessarily still apply, given changes to the testing process.”

How is this even possible in 2021? Disaster in PR terms for Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I might learn something? Me who owns an EV and has practical experience, i wont be learning it from you anyway it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

That’s shocking, my wife may miss the Zoe when the T5 arrives but I certainly won’t, it has dated dramatically the past couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

That’s really shocking tbh. Has the new megane e tech been tested yet?

Don't think the megane has been tested yet

"Avery continues: “Drivers should not have to trade off safety for zero emissions. Motorists can still save the planet and enjoy a car that could play a vital role in saving their family in the event of a crash. There are many other options of a similar price and size that have achieved solid ratings and feature a host of active safety systems as standard too. Even looking within the Renault stable, the Clio is an affordable five-star hybrid vehicle that retails at £10,000 less than the Zoe and still allows drivers to be environmentally conscious without sacrificing safety.

Avery comments: “The Spring and Zoe have made savings on safety, but these reduced costs are not necessarily reflected in a cheaper PCP deal; they only serve to present a higher risk to occupants and other road users.”

Reminds me a bit of the Ford Pinto story from the 1970's (was studying it recently).

• Advertisement

You own a EV and know nothing of ECars and never used Ecars? I advised you to read any thread on Ecars, pick some other single word from this paragraph and come back, just because you want the last word does not make you right.

I cannot respond to every comment, but some one made a statement about maximum range in sub optimal conditions that persists for 25% of the year, I used the same calculator and found that it barely covered my covered my most important journeys with summer settings and driving in a eco mode, surely a person is entitled to spend what ever he wants on a car to do what he needs it to do and declare openly that a brand new EV is useless purchase not to mention a few years of degradation or should they repeat the same mistake after it drops a % or 2.

I will make this point a 20k second hand EV is probably more useless to me, if thats any help.

Maybe he should have called you when he was picking a car as a 50-50 choice on a cable seemed to warrant a phone call? WLTP is much the same for any car, like EVs knock 20% off it, even that I found not true when using Skoda's calculator, its a 1.4 petrol hybrid after his 40 km it cannot be so bad fuel wise, at least some one at the company is smart enough to get some tax credits and not make the mistake of purchasing a EV that they cannot charge, in time I imagine they could install chargers but why buy an EV and then complain about charging? Something I see a lot of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I don't know what are you picking at but never said he should have got an EV. In fact this guy is one of the guys I never attempted to talk him in getting an EV. He's one of those service engineers that travel the continent long and wide on a daily basis on short notice. Without the prospects of charging the petrol Octavia would have been a better choice. It was my first experience with a PHEV and was surprised by how inefficient the EV side is and how can they claim 1l/100km. Never ever said he should get an EV.

Where did i say i knew nothing of E cars, I advise you to read what i posted not what you think i posted.

a journey you make once or at most a few times a year (which is easily doable without charging, and even more doable if you could lower yourself to fast charge for 10-15 minutes in your way home) is the most important journey you make? Strange logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭eltoastero

It was a long read to get through the last dozen or so pages, good to see there's healthy debate still going on about the pros and cons of EVs/PHEVs etc.

But what sticks out is that the easiest thing to do is target the worst case scenarios:

"EV's take longer to refuel compared to ICE cars" being one of the main ones.

One small but regular win for the EV or PHEV: you don't have to spend 10 mins on a cold or frosty day with the engine running to heat the car up and to de-ice the windshield. Just preheat it (scheduled from within the car or via the app), using energy from the house (while plugged in) and leave with a full battery and warm car. A small regular win that adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

You save a fortune on deicer spray and I've scrapers too 😁

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

surely a person is entitled to spend what ever he wants on a car to do what he needs it to do and declare openly that a brand new EV is useless purchase not to mention a few years of degradation or should they repeat the same mistake after it drops a % or 2.

I will make this point a 20k second hand EV is probably more useless to me, if thats any help.

Of course you may spend what you like on any vehicle, nobody is forcing you to buy a new car. However I would be just as critical of your "expensive" comment if you were comparing the price of Skoda Kodiaq with a 3 year old second hand car, something that surprisingly isn't done in most reviews of new vehicles unless the drivetrain happens to be electric.

Not everyone chooses a vehicle based on a what if scenario that affects 2 out of 365 days. I prefer to pick a car that fulfils my needs for the other 363 days, and am willing to put up with the charger situation which is nowhere near as bad as most people make out. Ionity may be expensive, but it's generally available so I'd rather pay an extra €10 to charge on those 2 days, instead of pay an extra €8,000 to buy a bigger battery that will spend most of it's time going unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

DCEV event taking place in Sandyford tomorrow evening 5.30 - 9.30. Register online at DCEV.ie

• Advertisement

Tritium Launch Event PKM 150

Co founder at 9:40 has some interesting comments.

Distributed architecture, scale up the power of each charging station and scale out the number of charging stations at each site

Haven't heard of Aqua Superpower before =;-)

"Supercharging the Côte d’Azur"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

id that with only night time charging? I know many people will top up during the day rate, to say 50-60% and then top up further at night

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

I would have assumed that was a rare occurrence. I've only topped up during the day two or three times in two years of EV ownership. Apart from the much higher cost (I pay 5c night and 23c day), I've almost never had the need.

i cant see that being a very common occurence, would really only happen if an unexpected long journey was in the offing.

Very rare occurrence. I've done approx 120k km across 3 EVs since we got night rate fitted. I've charged during the day rate once. Once. in that time, and that was when I had to do meath to wexford to meath to wexford in an Ioniq 28 and I wanted to make sure I made Gorey services on the second leg as I wanted a big mac!

I, like most who have an EV and night rate, are very fastidious about moving usage towards night rate and my current ratio is generally around 3.5:1 night to day usage. And that's with the two of us working from home in fintech, a coffee addict and 2 gamers (me and stepson) running consoles, laptops fans etc .

No one charges during the day if at all possible. Especially now with the increased day rates!

The only rationale i can imagine for what the poster was referring to would be someone who didnt have a 7kw charger and couldnt charge fully at night.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

45,000km and only once charged the car on day rate... it was about 2 weeks ago when it was really cold, SoC was 6%, so I charged it up to about 15%, before stopping the charge, so about 5kWh, a dark day indeed when I paid about €1 for electricity that should have only cost me about €0.50 on the night rate!!

No one else I know driving an EV charges it on day rate..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Think twice in 4 years of dual EV ownership.

But the big question is really......@ELM327 did you get that Big Mac!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Absolutely. With 3% to spare too. (Although with the aggressive turtle at 5% in the Ioniq this is not an experience to be repeated)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

I can't see where to register. The address on website is blackrock. I may be passing Sandyford at that time.

Edit found it

DC EV

Advertisement