Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I think they're only talking about banning it in Europe. It's not banned yet is it?

Interactive Brokers give you the option, pay €10-20 per trade and no PFOF, or get 50c transactions and be subject to PFOF. In my opinion, anyone who's investing and not day trading, the difference is so miniscule you'll never notice it. If my shares have been held for 5 years have gone up 300%, who cares if i get 300% or 301% profit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

I think it might have been because of Boris's dead cat when he announced his Plan B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭littlevillage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Thank you Docusign & Asana. Bought on Friday, sold today for 15% profit on both. Thats my Christmas shopping paid for 👍

Small potatoes, but better in my pocket ...than in that of 'the man' 👺

Post edited by bcklschaps on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Very interesting discussion on PFOF and Stop Loss hunting etc. in previous posts, thanks Shedite, Patsy etc.

Personally try to use standard limits when buying/selling...but do use Stop Losses occasionally. (Yeah a few times, I seen suspicious drops in Shares Prices to exactly my Stop Loss limit 🤫), but I suppose what can you do? I don't like paying mad commissions either.

I use Degiro primarily, since they have ditched commission, can we assume that they have an alternative income source? eg. from selling order flow

Post edited by bcklschaps on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Degiro initial tax reports for 2021 are out today, for anyone interested in what CGT hit they may have for the year and what to dispose of to minimise it before the end of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Nice is this standard across all platforms, haven't seen it on my Davy account. Could well do with a P/L yearly summary.

I see Degiro is starting it's IPO access this week. You can apply for shares in a new IPO Samsara up to tomorrow (10th) and it will launch sometime next week

BTW, I know nothing of the company, just interested in the IPO process really

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Evergrande seems to have finally succembed to default. The list of Sino Developers hitting the skids is growing and the CCB is making some strange moves in reducing liquidity requirements during a time of capital reduction and almost flight from their property markets. Very much a move to allow local investors a head start on escaping ahead of off-shore IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Someone else can correct me but I think it is a regulatory obligation for platforms to provide this information, whether you get it before year end or not is a different matter...Degiro have one up to end of November which was released today/yesterday, and will provide an addendum in January for the full year. Handy to see the state of play coming up to year end

• Advertisement

Saw that. $11b valuation for a company making over €100m loss per year... where's that Take my Money Gif 😨 I didn't look further. The other thing I thought strange was Degiro saying to bid $23. Can you not bid at the lower end of the valuation?!

If you hve a CGT bill on business from Jan-Nov you need to pay it by 15th Dec. That's why they provide a statement at end Nov.

No IPO bids are just for the amount of shares, you've no say over where they price then. In general they know not to price too high, or price will drop on Day 1 and looks like a "failed IPO"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Argo blockchain looks like it's not the best run business in the world. Share price continues to tank too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Did they give a statement end of November? Where was that? I worked it out manually in excel myself. Made wayyy too many realised capital gains in 2021 despite my overall portfolio going to pot, but thats investing for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I don't think the Jan-Nov report is available on the app or the mobile website. I couldn't find it anyway.

It's definitely on the desktop website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Whatever about this guy's report, Argo is tied to the price of Bitcoin and that has fallen about 20% in the last month

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Chiarrai92

Edited out my original post.

Was questioning the accuracy of the degiro report as it wasn't showing a transaction/gain on the end of year report.

But just googled and found out a share split is not a taxable event. Despite my degiro account showing sales of my nvida shares and buying new shares. Degiro even shows me a realised gain under Nvidia on my portfolio but no reference to it on my 2021 report

Post edited by Chiarrai92 on

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Hi

When I go to buy ryanair or umc etc on de giro I'm tole I've disabled complex stocks

Looking up the definition, complex stocks can include CFDs, which did in poor oul Seanie. I presume ryanair and pfizer are not CFDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Degiro limit what you can buy depending on what youve bought before and level of trading but there should be an online test/questions they have that if you pass lets you get into more share types, etfs etc

• Advertisement

No, but they consider Ryanair a risky stock for some reason. Yeah, it's a pain in the hoop, but you've to complete a test. I've since moved to IBKRs for different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Please help me to calculate tax on multiple purchases and one sale on 11/08/2021.

Also if I sell all positions, can I use losses in LOTZ against gains earlier in the year for other stocks, considering my recent purchase is not even a month ago ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jams100

Seems a straightforward enough FIFO (First in first out). You didn't break the 30 day rule when selling and buying back a stock.

Yes you can use losses, but I think CGT from the 1st Jan - 31st Dec has to be paid by Dec 15th. Then any CGT gains from the 1st Dec -31st Dec have to be realised by the 31st Jan.

That's my understanding anyway, (someone might correct me on the dates)...hard to give an accurate figure from that pic, calculate the BEP (break even point for each buy). Might make the calculations a little easier.

Be careful of liquidating stocks for the sake of it. (Especially if you plan on buying the stock back later in January as all your doing in that case in lowering your BEP, which will mean you'll be facing a bigger CGT bill if the stock rises significantly. (As you'll be paying CGT from a lower BEP).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Anyone here with shares in NGCA/Virgin Orbit? Looking forward to seeing where things go after the merger. Hoping for a run up towards $20 like we saw with RKLB.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My 1st post on Evergrande and its potential contagion on this thread was back in Sept IIRC.

I laid out my thinking that the Chinese would seek to insulate their people and burn the offshore debt holders. They would seek to ensure that people buying homes had them delivered but that even Chinese speculators buying investments, would carry a loss.

Based on the below, it certainly looks like the path the Chinese have chosen. IMO where the contagion risk for this is highest isn't just the losses that Western investors will carry from this. It is the further debt that was raised using the Chinese bonds as collate5. Margin has been wrecked here and with a downgrade of these and other China Property bands to Junk status? Any margin using these as collateral will either have to be closed out, liquidated or re-financed.

It is going to be a very hairy year end for a lot of very large banks and investment houses IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

NET is falling like mad the last while. Up couple % then down 10%.

Ah it was a classic running ahead of itself price. Zoom out a bit, looks a fairly steady grower, up 75% YTD

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Literally only back to where it was 10weeks ago 😅. I sold all mine at 109, was fuming the whole way up that I got out, but knew it was absolute sucide getting back in.

Generally with the Growth Stocks, the best indication of where a stock is trading is the Price/Sales ratio. It's the total cost of the company divided by the sales figures. You can get it on Yahoo Finance.

Anything above 35, I'm not buying, it's overpriced, anything about 50, you should realise it's going to come back down in the next few weeks. Crowdstrike got to 100 at one point in the past few weeks, still over 70. Snowflake is sitting at 104 at the moment.

That number can also come down by the share price sitting still for a year, while sales catches up, and there are other factors that play into it (the "35 rule" is probably a different number for different industries), but it's a good one to keep an eye on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Is it today we have to pay our CGT for the first 11 months

Advertisement