Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm just repeating what has been reported.

Let's look at this from a more logical perspective.

If there was no party, then why did Allegra Stratton resign? For making jokes in private?

If there was no party, then why did Johnson say he was "furious" about the video? Why would he be angry about his staff having a bit of a joke in work?

Logically, the above two pieces of evidence tell us that something happened in No. 10 on the 18th December 2020 which was not appropriate. And since Johnson lives there, his claims of ignorance are simply not credible.

I am aware that No 10 is not just a little house. It's a huge building that's mostly office space for a number of floors. But someone who lives on one of those floors is going to notice if another part of the building is unusually busy in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Problem for Johnson is he has no control over this story and it's careening further out of control by the day. According to Pippa Crerar, the government is considering bringing parliament recess 2 days forward to Tuesday next week, ostensibly just so Johnson can avoid another roasting at the despatch box. Had to laugh at the guy on newsnight last night saying they were getting so worried about North Shropshire that they were envisaging a few visits by the pm over the next week. I dunno, if I was the candidate for North Shropshire, the last thing I would want is to have that bungling wreck shambling in with all his frippery and toxicity. There's no way he's a vote winner right now and doubtful into the future too.

Stuff obviously getting lost in the maelstrom this week, but earlier on we had Johnson denying he personally intervened in the rescue of pets in Afghanistan, although multiple sources contradict that.

We also have this from Sam Coates as the electoral commission fines the tories over the No.10 flat refurbishment:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

So the conservatives have admitted one party took place with some of their staff but doesnt seem to be the alleged party the PR person had to resign over.

I get supporting parties and their ideologies but why people extend that excusing their bad behaviour I just don't understand. Some conservatives broke the COVID rules, doesn't make them evil. The parties should be investigated though.

You're not though, you are paraphrasing.

There is no suggestion Simon Case was there, just suggestions that he "Might" have been there, because he is one of the scores of staff that would be considered "Downing Street Staff" (Although his office is probably in the cabinet office, not actually Downing Street.) Simon Case is the head of the ivil service, if this party took place then it is his staff and hos responsibility to sort it out, so that makes him the best placed person to do this.

You also said that this took place in Johnson's front room, which shows a shockingly poor lack of knowledge on the size and make up of Downing street.

this is more tabloid stuff. There are no named sources in the article by the mirror and no actual names of people who attended, so it is impossible or anyone to take action against the paper for libel, but it has a ring of credibility and people have watched Love Actually, so they believe that 10 Downing street is literally the PM's house, so it must be true.

if the Mirror has proof this tool place, then they should put up or shut up, but they won't, because they can't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Because of the special PR system imposed by Westminster on Scottish elections Alba should in theory be able to get a good number of seats there. In practice though...

Labour getting a handful of seats ? They got 56 seats out of 72 in 1997, 2001 (78%). In 2010 it was 41 of 59 (69%) because of boundary changes.

To get back to 56 Labour MPs in Scotland they would have needed to win back the 15 lost seats from 13 fewer constituencies. Instead they won just a single seat and it was the SNP who got 56/59 in 2015. That part of the SNP vote that is Pro-Independence or Anti-Tory can't be counted on as pro-Labour.

Next time out there will only be 57 seats in Scotland with the new boundaries. So excluding the safest Liberal seat in the UK for most of the last 200 years (Orkney and Shetland) Labour would need to win every other seat in Scotland just to get back to the 1997, 2001 numbers of MPs. It's not going to happen.

Labour need to replace those 50 odd seats somewhere else (or offer independence which only works once)

Besides other UK boundary changes mean they'll probably loose a handful of MPs even if nothing else changes. The 2 seats in Scotland and 8 in Wales that are moving to England will likely affect Labour most.

They haven't given up. Long term little tricks from US playbooks like looking for Voters ID, changing boundaries. FPTP means that a tiny swing vastly changes the national result.

The Tories went from 1 MP to 13 in Scotland in 2017 by dangling carrots for fishing. They bought DUP votes, they promised the Lib Dems a vote on PR. If push came to shove they could do deals with a Farrage or others. The SNP could even be offered independence if all else failed. They'll spend other people's money to buy an election until the English electorate hold their noses and vote Labour which doesn't look happening anytime soon.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Maybe Stratton was poor in the role but to be fair, any PR expert would occasionally find themselves out of their depth working for the worst UK PM ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

The real problem about "The Party" is the shambolic way it was handled by No 10, the proof being it's nearly a fortnight and it's still news.

It seems the initial instinct is to lie and hope for he best.

There were a number of people auditioned for that press role, reportedly better than Stratton, but she got the gig anyway. After repeatedly showing herself not up to it, the whole experiment of live briefings in the new £2.6m briefing room was abandoned and she was shunted into a cop26 advisory role. Her highlights in that position include explaining why diesel suited her, not rinsing plates before you put them in the dishwasher and voting green if you care about the environment.

Heartily endorse the last one!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I suppose the counter argument is that she discovered she would have to lie on an industrial scale for the liar-in-chief.....perhaps this led to difficulties or tensions? It seems she never actually commenced the role (as a US press secretary type) or conducted a press conference on his behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He's got several reasons to not believe that "nothing happened".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Salmond is newspaper around the chips now so I am at a loss as to what even their notional selling-point is. An actual SNP/Alba split is something I would only really expect post-independence rather than before it..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Would agree with @PommieBast above: Alba would have to be as mad as a box of frogs to risk the Independence movement by splitting the votes in vulnerable constituencies (disregarding whether they have the power to do so; last I saw they ain't polling too well). Salmond probably has a dartboard with various figures of the SNP pinned to it, but he can't be so petty as to scupper the very thing he spent his career building towards.

belief and proof are two different things entirely, just ask anyone who has spent a day staring at a statue waiting for it to move.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Belief is what matters in politics and clearly the majority of people do not believe the denials.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I can't believe there isn't a list of everyone who walks in or out of that building

Alba is about the list vote system which favours the small parties and gives very little to SNP. It's essentially gaming the system for pro independence parties

again, serious lack of understanding of what Downing street actually is.

deleted

• Advertisement

I've tried several times in this thread already.

people seem to think it is just a house that Boris lives in, when in fact he lives in a flat which is on the third floor of what is roughly No 11.

What we call 10 Downing street, is actually 10, 11 and 12 plus the building behind, known as the "House at the Back". they are four storey buildings, plus at least one basement level, over 100 rooms, plus at least two flats. One in No 10 and one in No 11. No11 being the bigger, is why PMs from Tony Blair onwards have lived there.

From Downing Street, you have passageways connecting it to the Cabinet Office building, which is the building that fronts on to Whitehall. I believe you can also access the FCO, which is the opposite side of Downing Street.

It is essentially a huge office building and a 24/7 operation, so thirty or forty people (out of probably 150 to 200 people who actually work there) being in one room having a glass of wine and some cheese, isn't exactly going to stand out. Especially if those thirty or forty people have been there all day anyway.

I know full well it's not just one house. I've never been inside the gates but I know the area very well. I also know that Westminster and the adjoining Portcullis House require checks going in the front door but also then require numerous secondary checks around the building.

So given that we were in full lockdown the numbers on and out and especially the numbers who should not have been there I think will be on record and it should be possible to find out if 50 people worked very late all in one room in a full lockdown. Also it was a planned party so I bet they were stupid enough to book the room and expense the cheese and wine bill

was it a planned party?

The Mirror seem to be very light on details about things like which building did it take place in, what time it started and who was actually there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why does Labour put Angela Raynor on to deal with these controversies.

She's one of these politicians that has replaced professionalism with narcissistic self righteousness. (Corbyn, Diane Abbott etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well, the only thing we know is that all forms of indoor social gatherings were strictly forbidden under the restrictions. Which means five or ten or fifteen people could not gather in a single room with drinks or food in their hands, irrespective of whether they worked with each other. Even the outdoor restrictions only allowed a maximum of six people to meet in the open air.

There was no ambiguity about this. Anyone caught attending an indoor social gathering of any description in any location was liable to an on the spot fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭PommieBast

At the time of the last Scottish election this is what sprang to my mind, but far as I can tell the Scottish Greens hoovered up the list side of the (surprisingly little) pro-independence split tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, I agree. Incredible that someone would think there aren't detailed records of everyone who has been in No. 10. It is arguably the working office of the British government.

Any corporation these days has access control systems in place which not only restrict access to authorised personnel, but also maintain records of all keycards that go in and out.

The UK is for better or worse one of the larger military powers of the world, one with nuclear capabilities. Thus it must be taken for granted that the access controls in No. 10 are more than a mere swipecard on an external door. There's definitely CCTV, turnstile-type restrictions, possibly metal detectors as well as permanent security staff watching all incoming and outgoing.

For investigative purposes, you would hold onto these records for a considerable amount of time, so as to ensure that if there was a security incident, you may have several years of access logs to trace back.

There is absolutely, 100%, a complete intact log of everyone who was in the building at the time. The UK government may be incompetent, but their security forces aren't.

I note you've also failed to address the most pertinent question here: If there was no party, why did Stratton "resign"?

Always interesting to hear about "professionalism", particularly on the day the ruling party has had its knuckles rapped yet again by the electoral commission, regularly changes or makes up rules to suit itself, is led by a man whose lying to parliament and the public is reaching epidemic proportions and who can't even implement the proper health restrictions because the public has no faith left anymore. If this is the "professionalism" they should be aspiring towards, then just shows you what a basket case the body politic is over there.

better still, the Mirror could publish a list of the names of their sources and the people who they claim attended. Although that would probably mean they fall foul of the FDA Union which probably represents those that were in attendance and the Mirror wouldn't want to do that.

I don't doubt there are records of who was in the building, but the questions is, were they in the building for a party, or simply because it is a 24/7 operation and it was busy time.

I would imagine that like most buildings, there is a hierarchy with regards access control, so someone who has access to one floor doesn't have access to another. So if someone works in the cabinet office, then they probably don't have access to Downing street, but if you work in Downing street, you probably do have access to the cabinet building etc.

So I guess the investigation needs to start with, when and where was the "Party" and who was in that building at the time. This could be any number of people, so I guess they all fall under suspicion and are interviewed to see if they attended and then any action taken after that.

Politicians scoring points off each other over the actions of civil servants is unusual though. Normally their actions are out of bounds, which is why i am surprised Kier Starmer is going so hard on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Advertisement