Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Suckler

Or the more cynical might have seen it as a mechanism for the Tories to offload NI and their annula bill on to ROI and the EU by 'proxy'. They get to blame the big bad EU and the DUP & co. can p1ss and moan about Dublin causing this etc. etc. Boris and co. get off the hook and save more than a few quid in their shrinking budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

The funny thing is that anyone could have crossed into ni pre brexit. They're only worried about it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

That might well be the case. But I'm not convinced. I think a newly "independent" Britain does not want to give up its position in Ireland entirely. Of course, things will be greatly influenced by what happens or doesn't happen in Scotland. Are they going to go for another shot at independence? Personally, I don't think they're going to get it without some serious bloodshed on their own side too.

There are so many moving parts it's impossible to second guess all of the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This post was quite reasonable until it got to the point where you said that unionists absolutely are Irish. They are not, they are what they want to be, what they claim to be, and in the GFA, we have accepted that we share this island with non-Irish, and that doesn't just include British, it also includes those invested in a Northern Irish identity.

You have all kinds of nationalities across this island. I'll pick Nigerians for example. A Nigerian family settles in Ireland. If you ask them what nationality they are, they will tell you they are Nigerian, which they are. Now if they have children born here, and the children grow up here, and you ask the children what nationality they are, they will tell you they are Irish, which they are.

Unionists are a different bunch. Pre partition they were Irish. Now they are British, even though their families have been here for hundreds of years.

Even though they can call themselves what they want, it just seems baffling to me.

• Advertisement

If they say they are British, then they are British.

Oh I agree, as per the GFA. No arguments from me. I just find it baffling personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

No border required for this. atm if someone from say India has a visa to visit Uk, the Irish don’t allow them into their country. I know many people based in ni who cannot visit Dublin because the Irish don’t allow them. They won’t be checked at the border but if they break their leg, lose their passport if get caught speed then they are in diffs

You are getting ahead of yourself. This situation happens north/south, south/north atm for most non British/Irish

• Advertisement

This is nonsense. We are born in the Uk and get Uk passports as of right. If a child of Nigerians is born in ni then they are British also. Massive gap in reality here. Ni is British

• Registered Users Posts: 69,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You can get an Irish passport as of right too downcow, many of your community have too.

Of course you can take up the very generous offer from our neighbours, but you are born in Uk jurisdiction

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Certainly I don't disagree with this, of course no one should have a Nationality forced upon them. I likely did not explain my thoughts here very well. My statement was more in terms of Irish identity and rather than nationality and was to comment on the need to build an inclusive Irish identity. That Irishness must find a way to accommodate residents of the island of multiple nationalities - that there can be British Irish people able to live comfortably alongside other flavours of Irish.

This is of course difficult as we in the 26 counties have appropriated the Irish identity alongside the Irish Nationality, making these conversations very difficult. My point was that we need to stop conflating these two concepts.

That said I was more exhorting my fellow Southerners to accommodate unionist positions, rather than trying to constrain unionists to any existing concept of being Irish.

I wasn’t meaning you. I was meaning people born in ni Uk

There are people like my father, born in Fermanagh, who lived their whole lives with Irish passports and who said, legitimately, that they were born in Ireland.

NI, a unique place because of a ridiculous partition that has not worked. Unionists now suffering the brunt of it and confronting being separated from their Union by the same partition's causal effects.

The 'we are British only' stuff is a recent affectation largely to do with insecurity. The more insecure a Unionist, the louder the 'I am British' shout is.

People of Ian Paisley's generation, including the old bigot himself, had no issue with being Irish. Trimble the same.

I never had any issue accepting that Ian's identity was British, nor anyone else for that matter. The 'I am British only' shout is intended as an insult IMO even if it is a silly and insecure one.

It’s obvious where the insecurity lies. I have several posters infatuated with my identity and wanting me to be Irish. I couldn’t care less if you are irish British or Martian francie.

I wasn't particularly referencing you downcow. More the insecure type that have to paint their areas red white and blue, need a flag flying 365 days a year and who blow gaskets if they are called Irish. If that cap fits, fair enough.

*By the way, I haven't seen a single post here that has an issue with your 'identity', care to post one as back-up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

You are Irish by the fact you are from Ireland.... and don't give this shite about what your passport says. It is like an English person saying they are not English because their passport says they're British. We all get you are sectarian and you can't accept that being Irish and a British citizen are not mutually exclusive. But anyone from Ireland is Irish by that fact just like anyone from England is English... get over it.

St George is the patron Saint of the English. St Andrew is the Scotish. St David the Welsh. St. Patrick the Irish. Who is the patron Saint of the people where you live? You are British and not Irish of course so it can't be St Patrick. Is it St George?

OK being Irish might not be your chosen identity to go by but you can't deny being Irish when it is factual. I choose to identify as Irish over being European but I can't deny being European as being Irish automatically makes me European as Ireland is factually part of the continent of Europe. The problem with your sectarian view of trying to have Irish and British as mutaly exclusive is it breaks facts.... and you will always get called out for speaking shite when breaking facts.

Post edited by ittakestwo on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Up to now UK and IRL visa requirements for the rest of the world have been closely aligned. If somebody from Teapotistan needs, and has, a visa to enter Ireland, then they likely would need, and would qualify for, a visa to enter the UK, and vice versa. Thus the opportunities for entering via one country in order to evade the visa requirements of the other were limited, and the CTA could be maintained without imposing checks on IRL-UK or UK-IRL travel. Alignment wasn't perfect, and there was scope for some leakage, but it was manageable.

This changes following Brexit and the UK's decision to require an ETA for EU citizens (other than Irish citizens) entering the UK. That's about 440 million near neighbours of both the UK and Ireland who will require an advance permit to enter the UK but not to enter Ireland, so we can no longer say that the two regimes are "closely aligned", or that the open border creates no scope for leakage.

What the UK are essentially saying is that requirement for (non-Irish) EU citizens to have an ETA to enter the UK will apply to those who enter across the IRL/NI border; you can't avoid the legal requirement to have an ETA by entering that way.

But they have no intention of policing this by any kind of checks or controls on the border. In practice a (say) German tourist visiting Donegal can go to Derry without getting an ETA. The UK authorities are not really bothered by this. For having entered the UK without an ETA our tourist will be liable to a substantial fine, but the UK authorities will not be unduly bothered about enforcing or collecting it, so the likelihood of having to pay is modest. What would worry the authorities is if, having entered the UK in this way, he then sought to work or settle there. But they expect they would detect/deter that through employment checks, rental checks, that kind of thing.

So, there will not be patrols or checks aimed at catching non-Irish EU citizens as they cross the border.

This doesn't mean that the measure will have no impact. While in practice our hypothetical German tourist can visit Derry without getting an ETA, he will break UK law by doing so and expose himself to liability for fines. Tour operators and organisers are going to be reluctant to put their customers in the position of having to apply (and pay) for an ETA or break the law; there is likely to be an adverse impact on organised cross-border tourism. And this is madness; there is supposed to be a consolidated all-Ireland tourism strategy operated under Tourism Ireland, a north-south body established under the GFA.

It would make far more sense to say that non-Irish EU citizens don't need to have an ETA to enter NI, but they do need one to enter GB. This wouldn't require any checks on NI-GB travel, for the reason already given. And it would respect the GFA and the all-Ireland tourism strategy that exists under it. It wouldn't undermine an all-UK tourism strategy because there isn't one, and never has been; VisitBritain's remit has only ever extended to GB.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

Their nationality is for them to decide - British or Irish or both - not us to tell them. The Good Friday Agreement is clear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Their citzenship is for them to decided. But if a person is factually from a place called X you can use the demonym of X to describe them. It is not against any law including the GFA. If Dowcow or any other person from Ireland wants to sue me for referring to them as Irish by that fact they would be wasting their time and money.... I will refer to anyone from Ireland as Irish whether they like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Can you not see that if they do have insecurity it is in part because of attitudes about what being Irish actually means? And that those attitudes are coming from non-unionists. That Irish chauvinism has excluded the British-Irish, at least to some extent. What's the value in talking about their insecurity rather than the reasons they feel insecure?

Where have Irish people excluded those who identify as British or the British themselves?

The value is in recognising why you are insecure...it isn't the fault of the Irish that they feel insecure, equality makes some of these people insecure.

Who's fault is that?

I agree that we need to recognise that the island of Ireland is now home to at least three different national identities - Irish, British and Northern Irish - as well as a distinct ethnic group in Travellers. Beyond that, there are now quite significant minority communities of other national identities - Polish and Nigerian being two major examples.

The challenge to those of an Irish identity is to recognise that the island is no longer theirs alone. There is little sign of this happening unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Quite simply the attitude that you have displayed on a continuous basis, sneering at what you call partitionists and extreme unionists is a clear example of the exclusion that the poster is talking about.

Your insistence that everyone born on this island is Irish, whether they like it or not, is another example of the exclusionary nationalist ideology at its worst.

Advertisement