Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech hedge

Options
  • 23-10-2021 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Wondering is anyone planning on planting a beech hedge this year.

I've about 200m to do around the house looking for a ballpark figure what it will cost for plants and to get someone to do it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I planted something similar last year. I paid 2 euro for the most of them 2 ft but I'd to buy some 3ft ones because he was out of stock. They cost 3:50 but if I'd my time back I'd only use the stronger ones..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'd plant them every 30cm or thereabouts usually, or 3 per metre - so you'd need 600+ plants. you'd get them bare root for under €1 each in those sort of numbers. as to how much it would cost to plant them, i wouldn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I was looking for a quote on exactly the same thing but for 150m.

I didnt have the energy to plant them myself. And then it takes a few years for them to grow to the right height.

I found a company who plant mature hedges and they quoted me €30 per meter for a fully planted beach hedge (inc labour and vat) 2m high hedge.

Seems good to me for a finished hedge. No work from myself involved and its already at 2m when its planted.

I think im going to get them in in the new year to do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

four and a half grand though! would cost you less than €500 and two days work to plant 1m specimens, which might establish faster anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

I think beech hedging looks great and is great for privacy. If you let them go wild they'll eventually grow into trees I believe (which to me is a good thing). Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Quick tip, when you are planting buy a couple of buckets of the chicken poo fertiliser and throw a handful in with the tree. It work wonders. I have the tree in for years and very little growth. Put in some this year to replace dead ones and threw this in on top and they are flying. I think a big bucket was 10 euro and its Westland

Also you need to be able to water the cr*p out of them for the first 1-2 years. At this stage planting probably in Feb is best

i'm not sure if i've seen 2m bareroot ever, but 1m tall bare root would usually be available for under €1 each in those quantities.

if that crowd you link are able to charge STG300 for 1m potted, i'm in the wrong job.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I did this last year and was looking to fill in a few gaps this year, prices are much higher.

I think last year i was getting 3ft bare root 25 for €30, now its more like 20 for €45 :(

none so hardy, just to pick an example, list 80cm+ bare root at €88 for 100 on their 2021/2022 price list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I thought it was a lot too.

I know but im not paying. Just organizing it. And I am certainly not doing the work for the person who is paying, unless they give ne the change :)

Wonder how much a normal fence is instead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Presumably we are talking about the copper coloured leaved beech hedging? Toying with the idea of planting some around the perimeter of my my parents house in the new year.

It is beautiful hedging but the main thing putting me off is that I see so often that it doesn't seem to fill out well and there are gaping holes in it. Possibly understandable seen as it is a tree after all but is this more expected due to the fact that the plants were not planted close enough?

Would planting a week or two before severe frost (severe for Ireland) be a no no?

Advertisement