Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Maybe on an individual level some Ministers won't care what happens after this round, but I don't think the Conservatives, as a party will want to roll over to Labour just yet. They might not get back in for ten plus years and that is too long for politically ambitious people to stay on the sidelines.

From a pessimistic viewpoint, I think they'll be largely ok with what is going on right now in terms of the big picture. There's a few reasons for this.

• It's 3 years out from next General Election
    • A lot of the significant issues they have taken slack for can be directly put as being a Johnson issue
    • They can blame Covid for the negative economic practices and mask the impact Brexit is responsible for
    • As I said yesterday, they are still getting their legislation through
    • Labour, and Starmer (as with Corbyn) are woefully poor opposition
    • Cutting Johnson loose, putting in a fresh face and blaming Covid and Johnson for the difficulties of 2020, 21 (and some of 2022 depending how long he holds on for) will allow them to claim all the issues are in the past and they are the best party to focus on lifting the UK economy out of the Covid mess.
    • If Covid does lessen its impact in terms of restrictions and the public conscious around it throughout 2022, there should be a natural economic bounce as a consequence of this. The Tory GE machine of 2024 can claim that as evidence that they have righted the ship and everyone now just needs to be a little bit more confident in the Brilliance of the UK and allow the Conservatives to bring them in to a period of real prosperity.

A lot of the narrative I have outlined above is because of the lack of an opposition and the fact that they hold an 80 seat majority in this Government. Many prominent Labour leaning public figures reacted to Starmers efforts over the last few days with heads in hands type of despair at the weakness of it. If Starmer is leading them in to the GE of 2024, and a relatively newly appointed Sunak is leading the Tories, which side looks like it is fresh faced and ready for action? (Bear in mind another right leaning Media outlet is about to enter the TV space with a lot more oomph behind it than GBNews has)

And here's the final caveat that even having said all that, I wouldn't be surprised if there are several WTF moments in UK politics over the next few years, as there have been over the last few and so people who we haven't even mentioned could be the key figures in 2024. It's all very entertaining, if you are not in the middle of it or it is unlikely to impact you. A family member of mine living there with 20+ years is very despondent and cynical about the outlook to the point it is negatively impacting their mental health in a pretty significant way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The BBC reports today that there are three investigations going on.

I'm not sure if it is just civil servants article mentions tory staff members. Tory minister Michael Ellis confirmed these investigations taking place.

Don't think anyone would buy the idea that people can just waltz in to the centre of power of the UK government without there being a clear record of their presence whether with CCTV, swipe card records, signing in evidence or other security or visitor records.

If such a thing is the case, it's a massive security risk and would be more worrying to a good chunk of people than the fact a Covid party was held.

No one is implying that Boris or Carrie were sitting watching TV and heard the doorbell go off but they weren't the ones who answered it.

Unfortunately Labour are still beholden to its looney leftie wing and there was no way a Blairite was going to take control unless a rent-a-mouth lefty was elected as his deputy.

I keep thinking of the "Old man shouts at cloud" meme every time I hear her speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well wine and cheese for 50 is a pretty big undertaking. It's not just the wine and cheese either it's all the bits that go along with that. Add to that presents and Christmas jumpers which would have to be brought in on the day by guests

It either had to be bought or procured from a bar and either way there is a paper trail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You know the Tories have no leg to stand on when the start up with this loony left BS.

It's like the Corbyn in the IRA waffle.

and I guess the fat lad on the sleigh pulled by reindeers landing on the roof must have been caught on CCTV as well?

how would you describe Angela Raynor then?

Not even her leader wants her, that seems pretty obvious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Because any time I've seen her in action she has been a brilliant speaker that's been eviscerating tories in debates who can't handle her. She's one of the best they have and very professional despite what your bias says.

for the umpteenth time.

These were Downing street staff, they would have been there anyway.

There is no suggestion (although it seems to be what people have presumed) that this was a grand party with doormen and a 25 piece orchestra.

they way it has been described, it was a number of people getting together in one room for a glass of wine and snacks

• Advertisement

that's pretty much all she can do though.

At some point in a political career, you have to stop criticising everyone and everything and start being creative and constructive. Something the far left are pretty much incapable of doing.

and coming out and calling the Prime Minister "Scum" is pretty much a perfect example of how unprofessional she can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Christmas parties very rarely happen spontaneously though. There has to be a degree of planning (otherwise it's a not a party at all....just a bunch of people standing around a room talking, like they're on their lunch break). I don't think I've ever heard of a Christmas party that wasn't pre-planned to a certain degree.

Of course, there are varying levels though.

ordering in a full buffet and a bar is very different from getting the catering manager to send up a few bottles of Asti and some brie 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But the latter was strictly forbidden under Covid restrictions. People were only supposed to be on the premises of No.10 for 'essential work' reasons only and expected to leave as soon as their shift ended. Christmas parties or any sort of social gathering, even in an actual workplace setting, were prohibited and could result in people being fined.

All indoor hospitality settings were shut at this point, wedding receptions banned etc. There was no ambiguity whatsoever....it was widely understood that any form of indoor social gathering in any location was not allowed.

That does not mean that there is no record of who was on site on that particular day. This is the center of UK Government, not a parish council in slough.

In your efforts to abdicate them from being able to identify who was there, you are shining a light on the protectionism that is going on within Downing Street given that there is no clarity forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Any building that exercises access control in a serious manner has eg a fob system that allows each person access only through those doors that they are allowed through. Any passage though a controlled point is logged. In the case of No 10, I would expect much CCTV as well.

It is inconceivable that there are not comprehensive records of who was at the party, and when they arrived and when they left, and even how much they staggered as they left.

Even hospitals and banks employ comprehensive systems, so the centre of the empire must have the best system.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The UK is the most heavily covered CCTV country in the world and London the most covered city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

There may be some evidence of the parties like emails sent around to the staff who went or waiting staff hired for it or a large room booking. I guess we will see where the investigations lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It seems somewhat pre-organised in that everyone was told to 'bring a secret santa' present and the majority of those there wore festive jumpers.

The 'secret santa' part implies people knew it was happening sometime before they arrived at the office, probably at latest the night before to allow time to shop for a present. And unless they always carry a spare Christmas jumper with them, that also implies some pre-organisation.

(and to head you off at the pass, no I don't have a link or proof of this - I can only go by what the Times and other outlets have reported. If I had proof, I'd be flogging it to the highest bidder.)

By the way, I genuinely love your earlier reference to it as 'a glass of wine and snacks'. It paints a picture that I suspect is very far away from can be expected to happen when a few twenty/thirty somethings meet up on a Friday in December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

She ended up having to apologise for the remark as it looked particularly vicious following the murder of the Tory MP.

The point about her is that she's grand. She's grand for a backbencher. But hardly at a level to appear on the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

(although it seems to be what people have presumed) that this was a grand party with doormen and a 25 piece orchestra.

Can you quote a single person who is 'presuming' this? Anyway as other posters have pointed out this is irrelevant, any kind of social gathering was against the rules at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Gerry T

I've been catching up with this thread, you seemed to start by asking people to prove there was a party and now your position has moved to a small gathering with some left overs from the kitchen.

That's some shift, you do understand, a small gathering eating leftovers was against the rules. So do you now agree what happened was wrong and that BJ being the king of the castle is ultimately responsible. It's very hard to believe such an event went on under the roof BJ sleeps under without him knowing, he's a convicted liar so why would you even consider believing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "professionalism" here. I suspect you don't like these politicians shouting at Boris Johnson in the House of Commons for whatever reason and rather than object to the content of their criticism you're instead doing some vague pearl clutching about their tone.

Actual professionalism - i.e. basic competency has played second fiddle to blind loyalty under Boris Jonson. He banished the likes of David Gauke, Dominic Grieve and Philip Hammond from the party and then assembled possibly the most incompetent cabinet in modern British History.

When his home secretary was found to have broken the ministerial code Johnsons simply did nothing as she was loyal and he didn't want to sack her.

When one of his MPs was found to be in breach of lobbying rules he tried to change the body who passed such judgements.

Professionalism! Don't make me laugh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Knowing who was in the building and knowing who was at the party are not remotely the same thing. This is an odd avenue to go down. By all accounts it was No10 staff who held and attended the party - they would have been there anyway.

Any gathering for a party however, was still clearly against guidelines if not laws. Knowing who attended said event is probably next to impossible unless everyone's movements are tracked inside the complex which would be weird.

My post didn't refer to the Tories. It was Rayner and the Labour front bench in general. They aren't great.

Apparently there was both a WhatsApp and email chain and given there was a Secret Santa element, there's definitely a paper trail of sorts. It's just people are being fed BS and asked to accept that no such thing exists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Oh I don't doubt that it happened and that there is a paper trail to show it was an organised event. But focusing on a record of who was in the building as if that tells you the slightest thing is wrong.

Advertisement