Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can be done about mass shootings in America?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is why something can't be done about mass shootings in America.

Laura Ingraham cares about the Crumbley's about as much as she, or her employer, cares about Kyle Rittenhouse, but they're definitely going to use them to push their narrative.

The Crumbley parents allowed their son access to guns, they even bought him one and when the school found him researching ammunition while at school, his mother laughed and told him to not get caught. He killed students and Laura thinks holding the parents responsible for enabling to do so is going too far.

Think how many steps back you would have to take from putting forward such a position to be even in the same room as talking about preventing mass shootings. And Laura, and her channel, are massive opinion makers in conservative America. They, the NRA, the gun companies, the politicians all know exactly what is going on

A very unequal society with an abundance of guns, the idea is winners and losers being a big feature of American life too doesn't help id imagine. They really need to get on top of the obsession with guns. That politician and family from Kentucky posing with their guns is crazy from a European perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'm sure it has been said throughout the thread but nothing can be done about the shootings. If they didn't do something after toddlers were blown away at sandy hook, then that's all the evidence you'll need to show it will never change.

What were they supposed to do? If they can have metal detectors at hollywood award ceremonies why not at schools?

They have gone after the parents of this recent school shooter. Both charges with 4 counts of involuntary manslaughter. Surely that's 'doing something'.

It turns out the school knew about this(had seen strange drawings/messages from the kid) and had training in this sort of thing; something the parents didn't have. When exactly will the schools start to become culpable? The prosecutor mentioned that the parents didn't take the child home but nothing about the school not sending the child home. In my mind if one is culpable then they both are.

Jesus Christ but the conservative mindset is a strange one. Laura Ingraham pretty much went down the same path with this nonsense, blaming the school and even the DA for charging the parents.

Did the school buy the gun the child used? Did the school ignore the child researching ammunition? Why is the school responsible when it comes to stopping fatal shootings, but the same people demanding this of them refuse to let them allow to have the kids or teachers mandated to wear masks in schools?

As for suggesting metal detectors at schools because they are at Hollywood awards ceremonies. Do you have any idea how many schools there are across the country? Where will the money come from for this? Conservatives would be more than happy to see less materials and resources in the classroom and metal detectors in the halls I imagine, but sane people should be appalled at the thought.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Plenty of American schools have metal detectors. It is a pretty damning indicator of the problems with the country.

An absolutely psychotic take.

Schools are there to educate children, not parent them. The school raised the alarm about strange drawings/messages, this is where the parents step in and parent.

When will schools start to become culpable?

When the dinner lady starts handing out a Beretta with every Mac n Cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When exactly will the schools start to become culpable?

What a mental f**king comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

In many states it's not illegal to buy a gun for your child. Manufacturers such as Keystone Sporting Arms make Cricket rifles that are specifically designed for youths to use. https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/05/crickett-rifle-marketing-kids/

The laws around pistols are more strict though. Each state is different but the rules are pretty lax in some states. Even Fedral law can be lax enough. https://faq.sll.texas.gov/questions/42870

I wouldn't be blaming the school in any way here. I'd be blaming the parents for allowing unsupervised access to the firearm and I'd be blaming the kid for being a nut job. We always had firearms at home when I was a kid and I was allowed to shoot with my Dad but there was no way I was allowed to go near a gun when he wasn't there.

I'm fine with a 15 year old doing something like target shooting etc. under supervision but there's no way I'd be giving them free access to a gun to carry around with them whenever they felt like it.

Nothing psychotic or mental about this 'take'. The school had training in dealing with school shooters and had enough evidence to recognize it. They even warned the parents and didn't send the child home. What's ridiculous is blaming the parents when the school had more training in this sort of thing.

Ignoring evidence that goes against your outlook is not a good look.

The school had a duty to protect all of there other students, a duty that the parents did not have. The parents are clearly idiots in this story but if you're going to blame them for what the student did(and I don't) then you must also blame the school.

• Advertisement

BS. This line in particular is just crazy.

Ignoring evidence that goes against your outlook is not a good look.

How do you even write that without thinking for a second about what actually happened. The evidence is that the parents were gun fanatics who encouraged their son both to use guns, and to hide his behaviour from the school. The signs of mental disturbance which the student displayed were also picked up and actioned by the school, not the parents.

The parents should have seen what was right in front of them, given they actively helped created it. And I'm not just talking about ensuring the boy was born, but the access to guns, the right to have guns mindset, the advice to hide a desire to use guns from the school, were all the work of the parents.

As I said yesterday, your conservative brethern won't thank you for strongly advocating a schools responsibility ahead of a parents given their position on topics such as the wearing of masks to reduce the impact of Covid and the accurate teaching of history etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Why would you expect American kids NOT to have violent intentions, when their own government is busy announcing their largest military spending budget since WW2?

Only a few months after exiting their last disastrous failed military campaign, they are clearly getting ready for their next act of global military aggression. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, as they say, and American kids are indoctrinated into a culture of violence and aggression pretty much from day one.

I used to be of the same opinion as many others, that guns were the biggest problem. I no longer view it that way. The problem is a historical culture of violence, mixed with massive levels of mental health problems (mostly un-diagnosed). Then you throw in a gun culture into this toxic mixture, and you pretty much have a guaranteed end result.

It's actually not that difficult to get a gun in this country. You will be left waiting for a long time to process your application, and obviously you'll need to show evidence that you're of good character and of sound mind. Just like in America. But we don't have a gun culture, or a strong culture of societal violence. So less guns around, and less crazy angry people to pick one up and shoot someone.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

California taking a lead from Texas's decision to impact womens healthcare choices.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Not unexpected, though the assault weapon rule is already in effect, and I think CA may have tried the “Ghost gun” thing as well. This was brought up by Kavanaugh in the SB8 oral argument as a logical succession of the Texas argument.

But does CA stating this mean that they believe that the laws they have are not plainly Constitutional and thus require such “shielding”? An interesting admission.

That said, I don’t think the courts would look any more favorably on such a rule in CA as they have in TX. No reason yet to believe SB8 will stand, it’s still working through the system and so far, things have not particularly gone Texas’s way. Despite Newsome’s statement, SCOTUS did rule 8:1 that suits could proceed in Federal court in addition to the ones going on in State court.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/10/supreme-court-issues-opinion-on-texas-abortion-law-challenges.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,514 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I visited my sister in law in New York in Dec19. Her son's school had a permanently manned NYPD desk just inside the door! I'm sure its repeated across the city in most or every other school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

• Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I've just heard that a 22 year old police officer has been shot dead with one other police officer critically injured in the Harlem area of NYC. He was on call duty to a domestic dispute between a mother and her son in the borough.

I also seen tonight on CNN that there was a woman who attended a school board meeting in the state of Virginia formally charged with officially threatening to bring in a loaded gun into a public school. And she made this threat to the school as she was against her kids being forced to comply with the covid mask mandates being enforced in that state.

The U.S. is truly one f*cked up country if they have people coming in as parents of a children attending a public school to come in to the ground of the facility potentially threatening to open fire on people who are just doing their job in enforcing these mandates on them.

Stuff like that would make you go utterly crazy if you did not have your wits about you at the most critical time. It's not just the young kids coming as school shooters. It's the parents of these kids, or maybe innocent kids, that are coming in & doing it as well.

Tell me what could you think would be the right to do in that situation. Could you go nuts seeing that potential incident unfold right in front of your eyes or would you have the bravery to try & be as calm & collected as possible while the police try to diffuse it when it happens right of you or other innocent people?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I Don't Like Mondays by the Boomtown Rats was released in 1979. American mass shootings have been a cultural reference for ages.

On 21 July 356 BC he who shall not be named burnt down the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, just to become famous even though it meant torture and death. So maybe stop get the US media to stop turning mass shootings into news highlights ?

Advertisement