Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Santy get a boyfriend...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I'm still curious tho, what is it that invokes such a strong visceral reaction in you that you have to turn away.

For me that would be something truly disgusting like a kid picking their beak or something.

Feel like a fair few people in this thread would be averting their eyes in an art gallery. That David statue, gotta avert your eyes when you spot him in the nip. It's just heterosexual instinct to do so really, how did Michelangelo even manage?

You don't have to find it pleasing, that's a long way from actively being against it!

People can find Santa kissing a man not pleasing to their eye, but actively arguing against it is something different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sadly a few of the homophobes around here are not taking the piss. They genuinely think that gay men only exist for sex, that gay men kissing is poisoning humanity and unbalanced, that the gay agenda is forced on straight people, that gay men should be lucky they're not strung up.

Amazing how lots of people who have been saying "I'm not homophobic...." stayed very silent at these blatantly disgusting bigoted homophobic posts.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Sometimes I wonder 'should I have stayed in advertising and made an absolute greasy fortune'

But then I read a thread like this and remember I was totally right.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Who said they wanted gay men strung up ?

Stop being hysterical

Nah I'm going a bit of off colour piss taking. If it's not then by **** what kind of level of ignorance is that lol

No one did (say they wanted to have gays strung up) - you invented that, But literally on this page a poster said they would be strung up if they lived in Russia and stated they were lucky this isn't the case.

Everything else in the first paragraph of that post was also said on this thread.

Care to comment on that or do you wish to continue to try and belittle the poster by nitpicking and name calling (which was ultimately unsuccessful because of your misquoting)?

Post edited by km991148 on

• Advertisement

No. No hysteria here. And you misquoted me.

Telling how many stayed silent at those two particularly bigoted posts.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It doesn't really show a lot, the response in general has been positive. This thread has just attracted people who tend to be outraged by anything LGBT. Can you point to Norway being upset by the ad? Cause that is the target market and it clearly caused no controversy there... Or you and the likes of Russia Today would be pointing to it.

Russia Today and the house speaker from Hungary are pissed off with the ad. The house speaker describing it as "desecration". So honestly, it seems like your views align with those who have an incredibly clear homophobic agenda.

Curiously, none of you seem willing to say a word to the poster who said the ad is "poisoning humanity"...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@[Deleted User] don't post in the thread again, your posts are trolling and trying to get a rise out of other posters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

What’s heterophobic in this thread, exactly? Please highlight some examples.

For someone claiming the "other side" are bigoted, maybe you want to review what you wrote?

I'm not sure what bile you refer to? Was this how gay people should go back to keeping their lives secret? Or directly calling them disgusting? Or accusations of "forcing their agenda" (granted that's not bile so much as sounding paranoid). What about thinking that gay people are poisoning humanity? All of that is pretty full of bile and I'm kinda ashamed that people think this is acceptable in this day and age.

Of course we don't have to go trawling over previous posters. Your own biased post where you refer to Santa's heterosexual relationship as normal (which one can only imagine you consider gay relationships as not normal, but I'll await clarification) tells us something.

Do any of the above examples seem "reasonable"? Is there a chance that maybe there is some homophobia here?

Calling out sh*tty behaviour is not what's killing boards.

Alright so, feel free to post any data or studies to suggest Santy should only be portrayed in a heterosexual relationship. Any of them will do.

and there is a whole post just above that one that was in favour of "reason", that addressed your separate points. But you just skipped over that one for some reason.

The two most thanked posts in this thread? That’s it? You got nothin’ pal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@99nsr125. couple of things,

1) Nobody has censored your point of view, report posts you feel are inappropriate.

2) Not sure what this is about however you can discuss this by PM or in the helpdesk forum

I've now been restricted from posting, for what I don't know but this is the problem with boards and why it's dying. Should one hold an opinion that the moderators don't agree with you get shut down.

3) If you have issues with how the thread/forum is being moderated you can take this up in the helpdesk forum, do not discuss moderation on thread as it drags the thread off topic

If your opinion is not their opinion and the debate is being won by the side they disagree with, they will play the man not the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I believe the “restrictions” on posting refer to the bars on the member’s avatar, T.

I asked about these in the “Feedback forum”, not too long ago, and was told they come with restrictions after you’ve stepped out of line a few too many times.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Erm, you realise a fair proportion of the people who are fine with the ad are straight? Are you really that intimidated by it?

That will be the barbed comments about what straight people do behind closed doors is their business, how they are disgusting, how some straight people should consider themselves lucky not to live in a country where they will be strung up, how they are poisoning humanity and how not normal they are?

I'm a homosexual and I'm against it.

Not against it in some extreme way.

But against it in the sense that Santa should not be snogging the face off a man in the same way he shouldn't be snogging the face off a woman. It's quite clear that the reason this was created was for a political purpose; to sexualise Santa.

And I don't think that's right. Kids should be kids and that's the way it should be.

We've gone over mommy kissing Santa Claus multiple times at this stage. Plus songs like Santa Baby.... So nope, not new Eskimo and sexy songs that involve Santa are ordinarily played throughout the Christmas season.

Also you being gay doesn't relate in the slightest to what I was responding to. The poster was claiming "heterophobia"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

you never heard of internalised heterophobia? ....

• Advertisement

I haven't read the whole 22 pages of responses but I'm going to guess that most of the obvious stuff has already been hashed out. My first time watching the ad and honestly thought it was going to be worse, not gonna lie but got my heart strings pulled a bit but yeah as cute as it was I definitely don't want to see Santy hookin up with a dude. It's Saint Nick for the love of all that's holy. This is why we can't have nice things.

You might need a sign

Maybe your fellow protesters could do "save santa from sex" signs.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

Amazing how so many stayed completely silent about some of the frothing at the mouth homophobic comments here. Saying gay men only exist for sex, saying gay men kissing is poisoning humanity, saying gay men are lucky they are not strung up.

Terry Pratchet

We all know Santa only comes once a year. He also gets around on a night out. Also I want more than a bag of coal for Christmas.

Here's a cool story about St Nicholas on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception though.

In AD 325 Emperor Constantine convened the Council of Nicaea, the very first ecumenical council. More than 300 bishops came from all over the Christian world to debate the nature of the Holy Trinity. It was one of the early church’s most intense theological questions. Arius, from Egypt, was teaching that Jesus the Son was not equal to God the Father. Arius forcefully argued his position at length. The bishops listened respectfully.

As Arius vigorously continued, Nicholas became more and more agitated. Finally, he could no longer bear what he believed was essential being attacked. The outraged Nicholas got up, crossed the room, and slapped Arius across the face! The bishops were shocked. It was unbelievable that a bishop would lose control and be so hotheaded in such a solemn assembly. They brought Nicholas to Constantine. Constantine said even though it was illegal for anyone to strike another in his presence, in this case, the bishops themselves must determine the punishment.

The bishops stripped Nicholas of his bishop’s garments, chained him, and threw him into jail. That would keep Nicholas away from the meeting. When the Council ended a final decision would be made about his future.

Nicholas was ashamed and prayed for forgiveness, though he did not waver in his belief. During the night, Jesus and Mary his Mother, appeared,* asking, “Why are you in jail?” “Because of my love for you,” Nicholas replied. Jesus then gave the Book of the Gospels to Nicholas. Mary gave him an omophorion, so Nicholas would again be dressed as a bishop. Now at peace, Nicholas studied the Scriptures for the rest of the night.

When the jailer came in the morning, he found the chains loose on the floor and Nicholas dressed in bishop’s robes, quietly reading the Scriptures. When Constantine was told of this, the emperor asked that Nicholas be freed. Nicholas was then fully reinstated as the Bishop of Myra.

The Council of Nicaea agreed with Nicholas’ views, deciding the question against Arius. The work of the Council produced the Nicene Creed which to this day many Christians repeat weekly when they stand to say what they believe.

https://www.stnicholascenter.org/who-is-st-nicholas/stories-legends/traditional-stories/life-of-nicholas/bishop-nicholas-loses-his-cool

Nicholas loved Jesus. And Jesus was 325 years old. Ok

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

Look at this thread, look at the reaction from so many people and look at how all these eejits are making a fuss over a make believe character in a make believe television advert. That's why they did it. That's why Santy's gay this year, so the easily-led will talk, complain, cajole and make it a controversial issue.

It's not even in bloody Ireland and half this thread is full of people villifying something made only to take money out of your pockets. It wasn't made for fecking awareness that's for sure so why give it more than 2 minutes thought? It's not like it's on our televisions being shown to our kids...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't think many people here are going to be rushing out to buy Norwegian stamps as a result of this discussion. Sure, part of the point of advertising is to get people talking about your product. But absolutely nobody is talking about the Norwegian postal service here. The tie-in to the service being advertised was tenuous at best and the advert being talked about globally will do precisely nothing for the profitability of a state run public service operating solely in a country of less than 5.5 million people.

I thought it was quite a grim, depressing advert, tbh. The scenes of the man crying on his bed missing Santa were weird. I'm sure they were meant to be analogous to the loneliness and grief often felt by homosexual people when it was illegal to be with the person they loved. But I thought it was just horrible to watch. In fact it either showed Santa up as quite oblivious and cruel to lead this man on and hurt him so. Or the man as having some pretty big issues because if you are crying with real grief brought on by a relationship with a person you see once a year and have spent an absolute total of a few hours with, you really need to work on yourself before entering a relationship. Regardless of the main character being a man or a woman it was a grim depiction of love and their kiss at the end had the chemistry of a log.

".. something made only to take money out of your pockets."

Which is in keeping with the true spirit of modern Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

It may not drive the stamp sales up but I'd like to think with some certainty that it'll draw the gay folks who boycott Christmas due to the religious overtones back into purchasing the usual crap that comes with the festivities, lights, trees, wrapping paper, etc.

I do agree with you about how the advert does have some grim vibes to it and will say that in my own opinion, they could have easily portrayed Mrs. Clause as a Mr. Clause and made it a lot easier to watch. All that said, I think it's an unnecessary attempt at ''inclusion'' that the world could do without because in my experience the only people intolerant of gays nowadays are children on the internet.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Santa has been presented as straight for decades, with limited to no snogging the face off his wife.

Here, Santa is deliberately made bisexual or gay for a political end. The folks that decided this would be a good course of action were thinking of nothing more than the PR of sexualising Santa.

Children shouldn't be exposed to that kind of politicisation.

Nobody is against gay Santa, but Santa wasn't made gay hundreds of years ago. If he were, I'd still have a problem with the ad because children shouldn't be watching two men snogging the face off each other - in the same way I'd be against the ad of Santa snogging off the face of a woman.

For God's sake, can we not just let Santa be what he is supposed to be: the provider of presents to children; without having to add these unnecessary layers as if they have any relevance at all.

And no, that doesn't make me a homophobic homosexual. It makes me sensible; very sensible indeed.

(and to modify the above response, some have suggested, "...but what about this 1960s video" etc., but my point would be precisely the same. Keep Santa to the presents and the kids - and leave sex and kissing out of it.)

Sorry this is just absolute bullshit. There are lots and lots and lots of depictions of Santa kissing a woman; images, songs etc.

Its hilarious the way you say you would object to Santa kissing a woman but you never have objected before.

Terry Pratchet

You don't seem to get it.

The core feature of that advert was the kiss - and not everything around it.

What advantage does this serve 3-year olds who are simply excited about receiving presents and presents alone?

(...and yes, if an advert came out where snogging a woman was the core feature, I'd present exactly the same argument).

Put another way, I'm thinking from the child's perspective whereas you appear to be thinking from an adult perspective.

Oh I get it alright.

Its a kiss. Children see kissing all the time. Its no big deal really.

If a 3 year old is thinking about presents they can be easily told "oh that Santas Brother who was helping out with your presents and just decided to take a break but Santas still getting your presents ready"

Child moves on. End of story.

Terry Pratchet

What advantage do most Christmas ads offer to children? Santa Baby is frequently rereleased in cover versions btw. Far more sexual than this ad and definitely not for the sake of kids.

Fyi, I think it's hugely beneficial to kids to know that they're growing up an inclusive world. Messaging like this very much so makes younger generations aware that family with same sex parents are as normal as any other. There is absolutely no negative consequence to it outside of a few idiots having a fit over it.

Also, have yet to see any evidence that anyone in Norway has any real issue with it. It's literally generated outrage by bad actors who very much so have homophobic agendas.

Its like the OP didn't read any of the thread.......

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Adverts like this are only intentionally made to drive outrage. They know that by creating such a distasteful advert it will create a huge amount of publicity and get trending.

It didn't create any outrage in Norway, also yet to see anyone giving a coherent explanation on why it's "distasteful". Fair few posters seem to simply view it as icky but that's more due to a lack of maturity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement