Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Nah. Even when he was exposed vs NZ, he was significantly better defensively than he was in 6 Nations. He had 3 really important defensive interventions in the NZ game, the type of which he just wasn't making in the 6N. There's the obvious tackle for POM's jackal towards the end, but one that stuck out to me was the scrag for Doris' choke tackle; that was exactly the type of thing he wasn't doing in the 6 Nations.

The praise he got wasn't just because of the tries he scored. He deservedly got praise for the defensive side as well. Was he perfect? No. But he was clearly significantly better, completely independent of the tries scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

No ones forgetting about how good Robs open field running was. Naturally his game was going to change the older he got. But theres 10 years between them. Kennans not going to be reverting to that more conservative style of play for years, he's only 25. I can't see people moaning about him any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

The tackle on Ioane was honestly nothing special. It's been hyped up to ridiculous proportions because of the fact that it was James Lowe that made it and it obviously makes makes for a good story because he was dropped for his defensive issues and he's a Kiwi etc.

But in reality it was the most obvious read ever. He had to bite in and get man-and-ball or it was a probable try. And he bit in (because it's what he always does) and made a solid hit to be fair to him and then his celebration looked great for the cameras.

The tackle on Jordan was just a simple 1-on-1 tackle. If anything he allowed Jordan make more yards than he should have. It should never have been a scrag tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Ah mate stop moving the goalposts.

They were 2 supremely good defensive plays from a player who worked on their deficiencies.

Yes you'd expect international players to make them. But the fact that he did is still impressive.

The best players make the big impacts when the stakes are the highest. Not everyone can do that.

Lowe did that.

Take POMs intercept of the chip through against NZ in 2018. Isolated it was nothing special. But he still had to make it. And he did and deservedly got the plaudits

I'm not moving the goalposts.

I'm just pointing out that neither of those 2 instances prove that James Lowe has become a good defender.

Ireland are going to come under immense pressure away against France and England with hostile home supporters, far more so than we have in a long time. We'll find out then if he's truly ironed out his issues. Not in an Autumn international at home with 60% possession and 70% territory in an utterly dominant performance against tired opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Those incidents prove that he has worked on his defence and improved. And he’s getting credit for that. Heaven forbid people show some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Ah you are a bit though.

"Lowe has defensive deficiencies"

**shown 2 examples of excellent defense**

"Eh yeah they were actually hard tackles...."

Your last point is fairly straw grasping too. What have supporters got to do with Lowes perceived defensive weaknesses

But neither are examples of excellent defence. One is a very obvious read and the other is a scrag tackle that should really have been a dominant hit. It's only excellent defence because he's set the bar so Lowe.

Your last point is fairly straw grasping too. What have supporters got to do with Lowes perceived defensive weaknesses

Higher pressure environments are generally more difficult to perform in. He won't always be playing in an utterly dominant team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Lowe has improved his tackling but we still don't know if he has sorted out his defending.

His issue was when faced with a decision to be made he didn't seem to know when to shoot, when to jockey and hold for inside defender etc etc

He hasn't been put in that scenario over the autumn so the jury is still out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I'm inclined to agree. I would say how good Lowe looks in defence is largely a function of how good a job Ireland are doing at winning the momentum battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Are we agreed though that the honey moon period caused by recent success is over and we can go back to giving out about players? I have some choice words on Murray I’ve been saving up for this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

When I said 10 players I meant across the back 3..

As a full back only Keenan in top 10. Maybe even top 5 in a year or 2.

Jaminet for me would have to be very high up in the discussion beside Barretts, mckenslzie, hogg and Carberry ;) (joke)

I'm just pointing out that neither of those 2 instances prove that James Lowe has become a good defender.

At a minimum, they prove that he's become a better defender. Which is exactly the point.

He was the easy person to blame because, unfortunately, he was to blame. For a fair amount of tries.

They were legitmate criticisms. The "other provinces" thing is nonsense.

I don't think there's sufficient evidence to suggest he has. We always knew he could make a tackle, apart from the Jones one in Murrayfield that was never really his issue.

However even if I was to say he has gotten better, could he have gotten any worse?

You'll still have waited longer than some others on here anyways! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Wonder will we see Ross or Harry Byrne start? The latter has gotten some stick for recent outings, but I don't think Ross has played particularly well this season either.

I was quite impressed with Harry's performances against Connacht last weekend. He was under pressure to perform and out in a very solid performance. Ross is the better player right now, but lacks an individual game breaking threat to ever really kick on from the level he's at right now. I think Harry might have that potential, but he needs a run of games to develop as a player.

Bath are in diabolical form at the minute. I think this is possibly the best chance to see how Harry gets on in a Champions Cup game.

One potential factor in Ross's favour is the Montpellier game next week. If Sexton is out then Ross starts that one. He may need the Bath game as a tune up.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭ersatz

yeah, if Lowe could be blamed for another NZ try and it was a 2 point game coming into the home stretch it would be a very different story and he’d be done and dusted for a lot of people. Those are the breaks. As it stands he has changed the narrative for the time being, opposition coaches won’t forget his issues anytime soon though.

• Advertisement

Disagree. In addition to the Huw Jones one, there's also the Penaud try in the 6N, for example. His attempted tackle on Dulin was really poor. We didn't see anything like those over the Autumn.

He also seemed to up his work rate. I can think of the Jonny May try in the ANC, and the phase or 2 before the Ollivon try in the 6N where his work rate back could've been an awful lot better.

We were obviously dominant vs NZ. But most things that were asked of him defensively, he dealt with competently. That's not something we could say before this Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Nothing Larmour could do about the Hansen try, it was a great kick and catch. He was at fault for the second try and also caught out of position for the Hume break that led to Ulsters 1st try he did well to stop him but they scored off next pass.

The difference between Kolbe and Larmour is that Kolbe steps players when he needs to and burns players with pace if doesn't need to step. Larmour nearly always goes for an extra step when you would like to see him just stick the head down and back himself. For example for his try last week, most wingers would simply put the head down and scored in the corner. He stepped back in, he did score but only because Robb made a poor tackle, he wouldn't get away with that against better defenders.

I would like to see his working on his passing, Lowe /Hansen for example are so much more rounded and more comfortable ball in hand. A top class winger is also able to bring the players around him into play, not sure Larmour has developed that yet. He is the same size as conway who took a few years to reach his peak so he has plenty of time.

No Lowe was also missing straight up tackles never mind positioning which was poor. He has improved both but still not perfect. For example for the Argentina try he stayed out as long as he could to give the inside defenders a chance to make the tackle. 6ns he would have rushed out of the line and they would have had a simple run in.

Mckenzie couldn't catch a cold against Italy. Hogg got dropped by Exeter and the Lions last year, has often been shocking against Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

He stepped back in because in reality Keenan threw the pass too early and didn't draw the player to him, Larmour ended up with a risk of getting bundled over the line so he came back inside so even if tackled he would still be in play....very clever and using his brain was my take on it.....

Watched it again, he could have easily made the corner. He was lucky Robb made a poor tackle, he nearly always takes that extra step.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Larmour didnt have the pace to make the corner, at least not comfortably. Thats an issue at the highest level as better players don't miss that tackle like Robb did.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

I seen people asking for him to be dropped out of the squad not alone the team. Pure nonsense. Now he is the greatest thing ever. Boom or bust fans, next day if he is seen to make an error they will come back out saying he should be dropped from the squad.

Could , if he didn't then he is bundled into touch. The route he took meant he could keep the ball alive.

If you want to find fault with players you can find fault with every player in the World

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Hmmm, don't think it's bad play by Larmour for his try. I think he could easily have been - and probably would actually have been - caught and hauled down short by Hansen if he just made a beeline for the corner. I think what you might have seen from Kolbe there is a momentary change of direction initially to head at Hansen's inside shoulder to sit him down. And then he'd take the outside.

Watching that move first time, I though Keenan could actually have scored under the posts if he'd stepped back inside Hansen and Robb. Maybe first shifting his weight outside and throwing a dummy to set up the step inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I seen people asking for him to be dropped out of the squad not alone the team. Pure nonsense. Now he is the greatest thing ever. Boom or bust fans, next day if he is seen to make an error they will come back out saying he should be dropped from the squad.

Pure Hyperbole, Lowes attacking prowess was never in doubt. His defence was always an issue. He has at least to some degree sorted the issues in his defence. This makes him a live option for starting winger. That’s all people are saying.

Could , if he didn't then he is bundled into touch. The route he took meant he could keep the ball alive.

there was 20 meters between Hansen and the touch line when Larmour got the ball. The touchline wasn’t or shouldn’t have been a factor.

Advertisement