Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

It can't be warmed from driving

You're wrong there. The current draw from driving warms it. Hence, driving warms it.

No idea if/how/when the heater kicks in, but given the ID software, it's probably random. Would be nice to be able to preheat/heat the battery on demand. I've had times when I know i'm going on a longer drive, and need to fast charge but won't have range/time to drive enough to warm the battery, so I arrive at a HPC and get 70kW. If I could preheat the battery even at a sacrifice of some % SOC it'd save me time at the charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

AFAIK

If you preheat the car when it's plugged in it only heats the cabin.

If you preheat the car when it's not plugged in it heats the cabin and the battery and you see very high consumption.

If you don't preheat the car and it's plugged in nothing gets heated.

I suppose if you have the time you could go with option 2 and after say 20 minutes plug the car back in again or work out if you have enough range to get to your destination or fast charger and charge there if needed.

Yeah, would be nice to have preheat function, not sure it will happen or even that they will change charging speed for winter driving, probably have to buy a new car lol.

My experience with driving the id3 now is that the battery hardly warms at all beyond the 12-13 preheat temp, on my Trip from Dublin-Carlow-Galway on Friday the battery was only around 12 deg C even after some 120 Km/hr from Kilbeggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I contacted the dealership today to see if there was an update on the id4 I stuck a deposit down for about 5 weeks ago.

I was told it's looking like Build Week 14 for mine to get underway. Apparently all the Life models are looking like being completed and delivered in Feb while the Family orders are coming behind them.

Fingers crossed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Faiche Ro

I tried using Ionity chargers for the first time recently but could not get it working with the WeCharge card.

The card is active. has anyone else had any issues like this?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Might be worth asking over in the ID.3 forum, the 1st movers there have some more experience using Ionity since they got the free credit

Did you try starting the charging session from the app? Might tell you if it's a card issue

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I tried using ionity with my id3 tour 5 on Sunday, wouldn't work with the app, have no fob/card, had to be remote activated, this was in Athlone, Tesla driver had the same issue.

The lady on the phone said to always make sure connect the car at the very last moment, use the app/fob first then connect car. I don't remember if I did it this way to be honest but might be worth mentioning.

I got 60 Kw from Ionity starting at 34% compared to 50 Kw from the ESB 150 Kw in Galway Plaza. Same battery temp.

Moral of the story is if plugging in at 35+ % there is no point paying more to use a 150 Kw ESB charger, you will be as well off on the 50 Kw. This is really sad and I hope VW will fix this.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is the ID4 much roomier than a Skoda Octavia in the back seats?

I know they are slightly wider, but wondering has anyone real world experience of that comparison. Thanks.

Chris @batterylife talked about battery heating in 3.0 on Sunday

I'm paraphrasing a bit but

"in the new update in March (3.0) battery heating will be done in steps and not the full 6kW (20% of power, then 40% 60% 80%, etc), the further you drive the higher the % battery heating used. If you only take a short trip (10km) it will not preheat the battery, but there should be a button so if you want it you press the button, if you don't want it you leave it off. It should do it automatically but you should be able to override it"

A button would definitely be nice, but I'm sure it would confuse a lot of people.

For anyone using evnotify and can see the battery temperature (again from batterylife)

Battery heating turns on when the battery is under 7 degrees up to 13 degrees.

If you can see that the the battery is 8 degrees you should in theory be able to stop the car, get out, and then restart the car. Battery heater should not come on unless temperature drops again (I'm not sure fast this would happen). Might be worth trying as a proof of concept but otherwise pretty useless and a waste of time.

Disappointing that whatever updates are promised, in reality they won't make any difference until this time next year.

On a different note, has anyone here got an ID with a heat pump? Can't remember if they were available a year ago or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭eagerv

Edit, wrong thread..

Lol, there's a lot of people out there who can't use auto climate control !

It's really rather simple.

You could have auto battery condition, Manual Battery condition with sub menu, enable battery heater which would heat the battery for normal use for max regen and acceleration/range and another option to enable battery heater 30 mins prior to arriving at destination which could mean that if this option is selected as a permanent option it will auto heat the battery 30 mins prior to arriving at destination automatically when using google maps or the id nav software, either/or and enable it all the time without having to re-enable it manually every trip, might be trickier to implement with google maps/Android auto/ car play.

I should be working for VW ! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I might have posted this before, but the NHTSA has some detailed documents available on the ID.4

The High-Voltage System is well worth a read, in particular the section on Thermal Management

The High-Voltage System in the ID.4

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10186407-0001.pdf

• €46,950
    • 12,309 km

I know I shouldn't be surprised by this, but.....

(It's not my car)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Can a dealer hit you because of the extra mileage that has been done on the trade in because of the delay in the ID 4?

Not the first "for profit" ID4 sale I've seen. Makes sense, well spec'd and any ID4 near their spec is thousands more and months of delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

No- the price of your trade in will be listed on the quote.

Should be something like €50,000-€18,000 for trade in- balance €32,000 (less deposit).

The balance is what you pay, they agreed a trade in price to get you to place the order and your deposit locked in that price. It also saves you paying the price increases that came in October and January 2022.

Thank you. Mine says MY22 but what does that actually mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Since this is posted here i might as well mention my own ID4

Im getting a Tesla model 3 in January and debating whether to go full EV and sell the other half's ICE or sell the ID4.

Its a ID4 1st in blue, registered in April 2021, currently 22k KM rising daily.

Never given any problems bar the software glitches mentioned in this thread

Im really on the fence on whether to keep it or sell it.

If anyone is interested send me a PM

• Advertisement

If it were me, and I was being pragmatic, it'd depend on how much use the ICE car gets, or would get if the ID4 was sold. Currently, they're commanding a great resale price, and you could actually come out with a profit if you're lucky.

If my ICE car was rarely used, why would I replace that with a rarely used 40k+ car. I'd sell the ID4 and keep the ICE.

If my ICE car was my primary car (family sized SUV/Estate) i'd probably keep the ID.4, though i'd probably not buy a model 3 unless I was planning on driving it a lot.

We had a similarish scenario when we got the ID4. We had a hyundai Ioniq, and my wifes ICE. Ioniq was always driven, ICE not so much. Wife suggested maybe selling the ICE and she'd take the Ioniq. The ICE was the less valuable of the 2, so it was going to depreciate less (funny enough, the Ioniq is probably worth more now than what I sold it for), so we kept the ICE. It's not moved 1 inch since the ID.4 was brought home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I got a WeCharge card with my ID.3 and the first time I needed to use it it would not work at Ionity Kill North. The support line started the session remotely and it was free. But not a good first impression.

I have not been at that location since then but it worked at the other Ionity I used, Gorey, and any other provider I tried the card with since then.

Could have just been a temporary issue and not related to the car or your card.

Anyone see this yet on the android app? Supposed to be live now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Any source for this ?

my build date is the 15th December, so week 50.5!! I had hoped to get it with the changes.

ID drivers Facebook group post. Twas a screenshot from VW I think.

This is on our list of equipment.

If Version 3 isn’t even released yet how on earth will mine be version 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I haven’t got a list. :( did you get them from your build number?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Was in with my dealer yesterday, order placed in October for Pro 77kWh Business and due to start manufacture next week. In October I was able to spec it with the black dash but I don't know about any of the other changes, whether they'd be included or not.

I see that the brochure has now been updated from MY2022 1st October 2021 to MY2022 1st January 2022. Charging capacity is up to 135kW DC. Can't see any obvious differences in my spec apart from the price,(increased from €51,130 to €52,595)....The ID4 GTX Max is €72,180 OTR price....wow...

A list eventually appears on the MyVolkswagen portal for your car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Thanks for your reply.

Ill be doing around 1000km a week starting next week. Hence the upgrade to the Tesla.

For a few reasons , autopilot to lessen the driving burden

Supercharger is perfectly located for when I need to do a longer drive once a week. Plus I find the drivers seat in the id4 quiet uncomfortable on longer drives.

The ice car is probably worth half the value of the id4. Driven 100km a week if that.

The sensible thing would be to sell both and buy a gen 1 leaf! But my better half would not allow that :)

Advertisement