Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

Factory or Mart for AA and Black LMX heifers? I haven't been following the trade too closely as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This and next week are tricky. White meat has the market the week before and during Christmas. Factories have limited demand. Marts close the end of next week. My own opinion with cattle this time of year is hold until over Christmas, the processors need supply and have limited slaughter days. Hauliers are not interested in carrying cattle from one end of the country to another to help a procurement manager that has not got numbers because he is penny pinching.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

If they’re fit, factory all day long. Prices good at the minute with small lifts over last couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Definitely, if you’re QA’d and they’re factory fit then it’s only a very rare occasion that the factory isn’t the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Could be a bit different this year the way things are. I know the staff in kilbeggan have already been told they’re working the week between Christmas and New year, they’ll be killing for 3 days.

But in saying that if they’re not over fat best option is to keep them over to January. That’s what I’ll be doing myself with a few batches I have that are almost fit to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Factory ready cattle are scarce st the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

What will the next couple of weeks bring? Am getting €4.35 for bulls this week coming even though they could do with another couple of weeks feeding. I’m in two minds about letting them off. I was expecting a good tightening in supplies in January but am concerned about Covid restrictions again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

Getting 430/5 blks and heifers. I'm letting them off as fit because I think meal too dear to hold out for 5cents rise.

Next few weeks should see new tax year cattle appear and wholesalers etc sizing up market/restrictions so it will be end of January before any major changes I am thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

90 days on 10-12kg a day. Big bulls, were over 600kg when housed. Will probably let them off sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Ya , suppose they're nearly cooked alright. Have a few still left over in the sheds here. Going Wednesday with a couple. Thought I'd be cleared out by this week but can't anymore killed. Some dose feeding fat cattle.

If meal was cheaper I’d probably chance them on for another month.

It is a dose alright for steers and heifers but bulls will keep piling on the weight and no fear of going over fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Any price for FR bulls this week under 24 months, a mix of P and O grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

Hearing 410 for Os.

Any better than 435 for heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

I'd say take it..they have been pulling in the UK for a while now (don't know how successful they are) but its not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Would you try this?

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/friesan-bulls-250-700-kgs-wanted-for-export-/29489253

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

€4.5 flat for an r= is equivalent to €4.42 base price for an over 30 month bullock. They must be keen.

I’ve a good share of these type coming fit in the next month, would gladly take that.

Would she kill out 420kg? Some price per kg for a cow. Imagine what they could pay for prime cattle if they had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Good long cow she doesn't look like one with a big gut fill.

420kg of meat, 100% usable and destined straight for Burger meat. She would supply over 3200 quarter pounders to McDonalds so even if they have to pay the meat factory €500 to make the Burgers it still doesn't even work out at €1/Burger more like €0.78.

Price of a quarter pounder in McDonalds is more or less €5.

Make no mistake a Butchers Cow at €2k is still well undervalued

AFAIK McDonalds use only U 30 months beef. That cow could well be killed as a heifer in NI. Even if not her front quarters will go to burgers in ordinary chippers or accross restaurant in the Mediterranean.

Her steaks will be used in catering in restaurants in Europe or the UK. The rest of the back quarters will be used in the catering trader in the UK or Europe.

The white offal will be in demand especially in Japan. As you there is plenty of margin on her even at 2k.

McDonald's use the front quarters of Friesian P grade bullocks. They are well undervalued trading at 4/ kg or less

Slava Ukrainii

Not true anymore. They tried it for a while and made a big campaign about it while beef was easy to get and cheep, but when beef got too expensive they quietly let it off saying nothing. Big continental cattle tend to have leaner and slightly tougher meat which is more suitable for mince or Burger meat. The amount of Beef that goes to Burgers alone is shocking, the UK alone goes through nearly 200 million Burgers per year

Agree with you into UK market or hind quarter into France, where cow beef is premium product, the likes of Kepak are killing the Fr bullock for the good cuts to he super market trade and the rest into the burger factory. That cow beef left to hang and set well and up on the boning table. It would take a fair person to tell the difference between it and heifer beef.

The big continental cattle have a better yield from the bone and is suitable to a lot of markets where the higher prices are and a lot of people prefer leaner beef and not a load of fat. A lot of continental beef is hung on the H bone to set and more tender. There is more margin in continental cattle.

Yes the factories like those big continental cows, especially the younger ones where the Cow can have a lot of prime beef.

My point was that even with the Cow making €2k it is still well undervalued. If the same Cow made €3k it wouldn't add 30 cent onto the price of a Mcdonalds

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I've argued that for year's, with prime cattle you're watching limits of age, weight, movements, residencies ect and hope that all you're ducks are in a row come sale day. With cows none of the above are relevant once there fleshed. The biggest joke of the whole lot being that any young tight sort of a cow will be sent across the border and killed as a heifer. It's the same in sheep, I think €169 was the top of the hogget/lamb trade in the mart last week for well presented stock and the seller was entitled to it. I happened to watch another sheep sale the following day and watched heavy culls topping €170. It doesn't leave much incentive to lads to produce prime stock to specifications when a cull out earns them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A cull ewe could be twice the weight of a lamb, a lot of meat on her

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I understand that and they pay to higher carcass weights on ewes which offsets the lesser price per kilo. However I don't see much incentive for lad's producing early lamb atm when someone scanning there mid season flock can bang off empty culls for top dollar. The only sheep that seem to get no real "bonus" any more are spring lambs, they get a few euro over the tail end hoggets from the year before and it only lasts a short few weeks.

I haven't forgotten this is the beef price thread but the same is applicable with the cattle trade too. For all the talk of traceability, sustainability, age limits, residencies ect the biggest demand atm is for cow beef. There marginally behind the "prime" beef quote and no talk of specifications or market demands.

• Advertisement

Any lad producing anything depending on ration to finish is on a very tight margin budget. Early season meal fed lamb is a very tender but virtually tasteless product.

Jj is right hogget lamb is a superb product, even those hoggets that fail to go in lamb at 18 months are superb if finished and cooked right. I kept a few mountain lambs a few years. I used to buy at 18-25kgs in September and kill end of March. Carry them to 50+kgs real chops and a nice bit of fat on the leg.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement