Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica Redress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well, he has over 50 clients, so he probably has a greater financial stake in this than any of the householders. That makes his views suspect for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SBourgaize

He's also giving them up, and removing himself from the register, again per the doc.

"I imagine that some readers may well say that I am an Engineer and aggrieved as a lot of the independent Engineer’s work is being taken in house. That is far from the case. I have said previously that I will withdraw from the register. I have taken on no new clients since March and will be withdrawing as soon as I get all of my clients through Stage 1 of the existing scheme. I will continue to do my best for my clients and would wish the best for all of the affected property owners."

Sounds like you're arguing the repairs should be done correctly the first time, rather than half arsed and repeated again a few years later.

It sounds more like the grievances of a professional recognizing that a newly created standard is not fit for purpose, and basing a scheme on a bad standard is a bad scheme.

From his description, it seems I'll need to let my house go to ruin, and not bother repairing cracks, lest it be considered "not damaged enough" to qualify. That's a piss poor standard by any description.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He's paid to make the opinions he's making.

The fact he called it out doesn't make it any less so.

He's not independent not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Grand. But its not like he's completely disconnected from the issue, as reported above.

Like, he's not going to continue with his fifty clients while muttering under his breath "can't see why the taxpayer would want to pay even 90% of the costs, if the people who actually own these houses don't even want to chip in a penny".

• Advertisement

The thing I'm noticing is neither of you are mentioning anything he has brought up, the issues with the standards, the scheme, the premise, the lack of engineer input. Just that he isn't completely independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭jj880

Oh dear. Not a word about any of the issues McCloskey raises. Home owners are whiners and not qualified to critique the scheme. Now McCloskey isnt independent enough.

Maybe just maybe hes seeing families on their knees after being strung along for years by lads like McHugh and McConalogue. Maybe he doesnt want to take the word of a desktop standard with not a block tested to gamble his professional standing on. The audacity of him.

Im dying to know - who is sufficiently qualified and independent enough to assess this scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Someone mentioned he lives in NI as well no wonder he wants 100% with no upper cap. He won't be footing the bill in any way through taxation.

Anyhow, he brings up some interesting points that aren't solely related to this issue. Fir a vast range of services the appeal process is adjudicated by the very body that made the initial decision. This is nothing new at all and I'm surprised he's surprised but if he doesn't live here that's probably why he doesn't know this.

He's right about having subjective measures on what constitutes damage though. Knowing this place there will be lads getting bumped up the queue because of who they know rather than their needs. It needs to be far more robust.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nice to see this highly qualified engineer have his professional character, reputation and integrity questioned.

But sure he's just out to make a quick buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Well he has 50 clients looking for something unattainable, he is hardly going to say they are wrong and should be happy with their lot. Once he has them on the scheme his job is done as it's up to the a different crowd to get the work done. So he gets his money.

Hardly an unbiased piece now in fairness.

• Advertisement

Nice to see your hyperbole continues with abandon. That sort of stuff would get you chucked out across the way...

Not a single poster, Not one said anything about anyone trying to make a quick buck.

So you can retract pretty much your entire post. People said he is not independent because he has been paid for his opinion. This is factual.

I don't expect you to retract your hyperbole. Why would you start now.....

And that’s all that needs to be said.

Like, all he’s really saying is the scheme may not always leave you with a house you can sell on at full price. Whereas if the scheme knocked houses, at far greater expense, it would.

At no time does he show any understanding of the faultless taxpayer faced with signing the blank cheque he demands for all houses, explicitly including holiday homes no and full rebuilds for McMansions.

He includes a farcical comparison to the scheme being like the Government paying to fix all BMWs, but paying proportionately less for 7 series. Nowhere in his outlook does he consider that the taxpayer might suggest that dissatisfied BMW owners avail of the cycle to work scheme, or buy tax saver bus tickets.

Very weak paper, that only preaches to the converted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I think you need to reread my post. I never once suggested his priority is money.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

None of them say that

You said that because that's what you want to read. .

Standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Dissatisfied BMW owners should look into the cycle to work scheme or Bus saver tickets. Definitely should consider stand up as a career.

Some on here do make valid points and highlight concerns. But then you always get some.

Similarly, I don't understand how anyone could question the obligation on the taxpayer to ensure that dissatisfied BMW owners suffer no financial loss.

Changing the subject completely, I notice that the advice on Donegal County Council's website seems to envisage that engineers fees on a remediation project costing €45,000 could be of the order of €8,500.

If that was typical (showing my grasp of higher maths), then if you'd 100 clients in the scheme, you'd be earning of the order of €850,000, With half that number of clients, you might have over €400,000.

And if a similar process was undertaken for 6,000 houses, that would create a market for engineering services worth over €50 million.

And, I suppose, if we were envisaging individual projects costing a multiple of that (say, if we were to habitually knock houses - at a cost of up to €420,000 and beyond), then the engineering fees might be even higher. Is that typically how it works?

Anyway, I digress from the important case being made for full financial restitution for BMW owners. There's a 2004 BMW 320 with an NCT on donedeal going for only €3,000. How is this poor owner not being compensated for the shocking depreciation experienced over the last 17 years?

Are you for real, so depreciation on a car is being made as a comparison to these homes. And someone whose BMW that's totally wrote off through no fault of their own would be happy with a bike. Please take a while to think about what your posting.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

On their knees?

They are getting an unbelievably generous handout from the taxpayers of Ireland. Do us a favour please.

There are far more people actually on their knees who will not get a fraction of what this relatively small cohort are about to get given to them. This entire thing has turned into one big charade.

And it must be said, the attempts by some to turn this into a Donegal vs Dublin issue is making them look obtuse and simple-minded.

You seem, strangely, to have missed the point that the comparison to BMW ownership is made in this paper by the engineer that we're all meant to think is great.

And my point is, like yours, the comparison is farcical. Have a look at post 1184, where you'll see the word "farcical".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I said that he probably had a greater financial stake in this than any of the householders. That didn't say that his priority was money, it was only pointing out a factual reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't understand why the engineer is so circumspect regarding the role of the suppliers:

"It remains to be seen the part the block suppliers had in all of this..."

I thought is was widely recognised that the block suppliers are the ones responsible for the quality of their product.

Yet the engineer has no such qualms about laying the blame at the door of the government:

"This is purely about a defective product being allowed onto the market due to a lack of market surveillance and policing of legislation"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Scrap this ridiculous scheme and implement a straight forward 'Fair Deal' type loan scheme to householders at 0% interest rate.

Helps affected citizens and minimises costs. Let each householder decide what is prudent to borrow to remediate their properties.

Yes relatives may be affected down the line in terms of their inheritance, but f**k that. No one owes them a living.

Demolition not included. Disposal of materials not included. Foundations not included. Nonsensical sliding scale per square foot. Grant based scheme with no liability admitted by anyone.

How is a scheme "an unbelievably generous handout" if it excludes the majority of people from availing of it?

I know people who have had heart attacks because of this, people who have attempted suicide through overdose and people who have succeeded.

Families have broken up over this. Families are living in caravans beside their homes that are now not safe and still have to pay massive mortgages.

All tax payers should be upset. Those with defective homes and those without. However posters on here are raging against the mica home owners, stating they will angrily go to their TDs to tell them they arent happy about this scheme when they should be demanding the government recover what funds they can from those responsible and prosecute them instead. The government have the power to do it but wont. CAB should be involved here. Regulation of quarries should be in already but guess what that hasn't happened. So what's left? I guess it's just easier to attack the families involved.

It's a strange country we live in.

Sure, no-one is attacking families. No-one is denying support. It's purely the unrealistic nature of the demand - 100%, even for holiday homes and investment properties.

I'm sure the mental health of people suffered if their savings evaporated in the aftermath of the banking collapse. And what those people would have been offered is the normal State supports for people who fall on hard times.

There's a very insular view being taken, which folk inside the campaign seem to struggle to appreciate. Like a poster raised above, that engineer has no problem blaming Government for the materials, while actually shying away from the actual supplier!

There's another poster here who says his surveyor commented on cracks at time of purchase, but said the cracks were not significant. But, apparently, that surveyor did nothing wrong.

It's like, Donegal builders build houses in Donegal with bricks made in Donegal, in a quarry some say Donegal County Council (elected by Donegal voters) needed to authorise in some way. Then a problem emerges. It's all Dublin's fault, and they must pay.

Everybody wants clarity on who is to blame here. Part of the campaign is calling for a public inquiry. And at the end of it heads need to roll. I think it is inevitable at this stage.

Are government light touch regulations on quarries and quarries not following these weak regulations mutually exclusive? I dont think so.

Trouble is it's been more than 10 years since the first complaints to Donegal County Council. A lot of homes are now unliveable and there will be more every year this goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

How many houses have being built with these faulty blocks in those 10 yrs. How many people bought crumbling buildings also. Any builder that used these blocks since is surely liable, any engineer that signed off on a building using these blocks must be liable also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There are more affected counties than Donegal.

Including Dublin, for the 2nd time. (Afaik Skerries is in Co Dublin)

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is just more of the same nonsense. If you don’t think these people should get 100% redress from the taxpayer you’re “attacking families”.

it won’t cover everything, no. But it covers a LOT.

taxpayers are upset. It’s not one or the other. We can be upset at the failure of oversight and we can be upset at what has now turned into completely unreasonable demands of the home owners. For example, investments and holiday homes should be told to go take a hike, not a single cent of taxpayer money should be spent on these. It is a farce to even suggest it, but this entire thing has been a farce for a very long time now.

There should absolutely not be 100% redress. If the taxpayer are going to pay the cost of building a house then the taxpayer should own the resulting house. Give the affected owners free use of the house until they die.

this way the taxpayer isn’t getting shafted, the families are getting housed and down the line the homes can be reused. But of course, the homeowners are against this because this has never been purely about putting a roof over a child’s head despite what the likes of Paddy Diver and the other twitterati are peddling.

• Advertisement

We're the houses in the rest of the country that we're given 100% and fixed made to do what you are proposing.

Advertisement