Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Who is getting suspended or fired from work for not getting vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Got my booster this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

The only way I will be taking the booster is if I am coerced or outright forced to do it.

Double vaccinated in the summer on the premise that this was good for me and my family and that things would "go back to normal".

So if it looks like it'll cost me my job or otherwise impact my life then, OK, I will submit and take the booster.

The entire situation is a disgrace. Remember when we were all about consent and individual freedoms and bodily autonomy in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's lemmings, who are rodents and it's not even true about them! Dodos were flightless, fairly dumb, over friendly birds who were supposedly hunted to extinction!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I hope to get mine tomorrow at my GP took Mrs Sliabh to a walk in this morning in Ennis at 9.30 the queue was out on the main road . Very sorry for older folk having to wait so long in the rain. The time she was given to attend meant nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

News about them sorting out the system for the groups they are supposed to be doing would make a lot more sense than people on social media celebrating long queues, however encouraging they might be.

EDIT: Most of those people were turned away and they are advising against queuing like this.

Post edited by is_that_so on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭storker

The Dodos were wiped out by-overhunting. But the above claim appropriately mirrors the standard of research that anti-vaxxers tend to put forward. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nobody is forcing you to get a booster, you still have full bodily autonomy. You are arguing against a situation which doesn't exist.

• Advertisement

Have had 2 vaccinations ..unsure weather I will get a booster till I know they work...I'm not an antivaxer....just would like the government spin machine to be Abit more honest ..in my opinion and that's just my opinion we will be taking boosters for the next few years ..I'm not sure what's being injected into my body and neither are you...you just put a smile on your face when they tell you just before they do it " you know you don't have to take it"

I feel the amount of cohersion on taking the jabs is unreal....doing their best is not good enough...before I get jabbed I want to know what any long term effects are and will it work...I've seen spin from everyone about the second shot ..then you find out that it's only given three months protection...then they say trust science lol ..the very people making billions on the back of this country...sorry but I'll wait .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Was listening to a guy from who this evening.

He's saying the evidence isn't there to show the booster is having any sizeable effect among non risk /non vulnerable adults

Nor the vaccine in non vulnerable kids.

Better to get the developing world done to cut the chance of varients developing

Yeah, that's why I said I would only take it IF forced.

You just didn't bother reading the post before replying, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What about your freedom to smoke in the pub?

Or your individual freedom to choose not to wear a seatbelt driving a car - that only affects you right?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Bodhran

Does anyone know how to get the digital Covid certificate amended to reflect the fact that I've got the booster?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Covid-19: 4,022 cases, 530 patients in hospital (rte.ie)

"French President Emmanuel Macron has said that Digital Covid Certs will not be valid without the booster vaccine included after 15 January 2022."

Interesting how that is just slipped in there at the end of the RTE article. If this is what the French President is saying then it's going to be hard for the trio in charge here to waiver from this. No booster = unvaccinated seems to be what is coming down the tracks in early 2022. Happy New Year my a$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

So since the smoking ban and seatbelt laws are ordinary, permanent pieces of legislation do you think covid restrictions should also be permanent?

What are you on about?

You really think these are valid comparisons?

As I said, I will only get the booster if I am forced or if the restrictions have enough impact that I am basically coerced into getting the booster.

Being vaccinated doesn’t stop you spreading it or catching it. We could have everyone vaccinated and there still would be possible variants. The “WHO” are an embarrassment at this stage anyway.

Being Vaccinated protects against the worst effects of the virus and dramatically shrinks the amount of time you are contagious and the amount of virus you spread. It is a highly effective tool in combating the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Another tool in the toolkit. Global pandemic management 101, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

I haven't read every post in this thread from start to finish so apologies if this has already been mentioned:

Maybe it is actually 3 doses, not 2, that is needed to give optimum & lasting protection?

3-dose vaccines are nothing new after all. For example - everyone employed in healthcare in Ireland (along with many other jurisdictions) are offered a course of the Hepatitis B vaccine when they are starting out in the job. This is given as 3 doses spaced out over 6 months.

It could be the case that vaccines for Covid are a similar story. Just my thoughts on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The Israelis are saying a 4th dose will be needed due to efficacy reducing after the 3rd.

Will it be every 6 months.. Looks like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭eggy81

The reason we are in bad shape is because the vaccines which we placed such faith in have turned out be much less effective at reducing spread than was suggested when we were getting our first and second jabs.

People went out and began mixing again and lo and behold here we are back under restrictions. In order to get out of this better vaccines are going to be needed. Even with 100% vaccination with the current vaccines cases would still be huge.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I expect it will be fore something like flu vaccines, tetanus shots, etc you will need to keep it up to date and there will be new strains that will render some vaccines useless. It has taken a very long time to get to the point is where flu vaccines have become so dependable.

The bit I find strange is how some people think catching a potentially lethal virus for which we have no idea of the long term consequences is somehow less risky than getting their jabs. And as we have seen with this latest variant some are even willing to argue that the very limited knowledge of it is superior to our knowledge of vaccines.

We don’t know what the long term consequences of having either the vaccines or the virus are. And anyone going around arguing the lack of information on one is acceptable while the lack of information on the other is unacceptable is only fooling themselves. This is a numbers game and you are more likely to be around to find out the long term consequences if you get the jabs. If there are consequences of the jabs they will be widespread and just like the pandemic itself there will be very high levels of motivation to find solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

We will have to keep dosing at this stage. Maximum 5 month intervals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Versus

I think the confusion comes from the vaccines being more "leaky" than other vaccines we may be used to. The vaccines are strongly protective against serious illness and death. That's really not in doubt at this stage. If there were any doubt it would be bloody obvious by the rates of hospitalisations and deaths going up even though society is far more open than in lockdown and it's winter and there'd no obvious difference between the vaccinated and the unvaccinated and there are. This does not mean that some vaccinated might get sick and even die, but their risk is very much lower and that's without knowing the proportions of very old or already very sick among them. The fact that the ages of those prsenting in hospitals has dropped among the unvaccinated another big indicator. The vaccines have worked bloody well on this score.

Now they are leaky and the vaccinated can and do spread the virus, more so the Delta variant from what I've read. However the vaccines still reduce the transmission rates. It's notable that the studies I've read anyway were focused on households. People living essentially on top of each other over time. Households are a prime environment for spread full stop, so it's not too much of a surprise that while there is certainly a reduction in spread, it's not a massive gap compared to the unvaccinated, or less than hoped for. You may be shedding less virus and for a shorter period of time, but you're on top of other people during that time. I'd be willing to bet that transmission rates outside an environment like a household would be much lower in the vaccinated than in the unvaccinated. They give off less, for shorter periods of time and others would be aorund them for shorter periods of time so the exposure risk would be much lower by comparison.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

To answer my own question - very little queuing at all. Was in and out in about 25 minutes, mandatory 15 minute wait included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Will get mine if i need it for the covid passport next summer for travel otherwise couldn't be arsed tbh.

Advertisement