Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You hit the nail on the head Gini had a certain area which he had to work in and recycle the ball ,At PSG front 3 don't track back so that area has doubled in size.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It is a weird one though... like, you don't loan out a guy who's played some part in 19 games by December between league and champions league. Of their midfielders, only Idrissa Guaye has significantly more minutes on the pitch this season as an almost-ever-present (and even then there's only 4 games worth in the difference).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I know money normally trumps all other concerns, but AFAIK the regimes in Saudi and Qatar are not particularly friendly. Will the boys in Paris do a favour to the boys in Newcastle? There has been a slight warming between them of late, but still......the lads won't want to do anything that will annoy the big chiefs back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Bobby back in team training. A nice boost coming into the busy period.

With Gomez, Milner, Keita & Bobby back, it makes the squad look much much better.

Now hopefully nobody else gets injured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Still laughing... absolutely murdered the 'group of death' 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Will a return to empty stadiums be around the corner? Do we really think the full crowd at Anfield is vaccinated? Won't get in unless they are.

The Liverpool area vaccination rate is apparently well below the national average - nationally for adults its over 90%, but Liverpool is only around 70%

(on a broader note, I think looking at areas of high and low uptake, it really tells the story of historical poor governance... consistently see places that have been historically screwed by their state having lower levels of trust in policy, and lower uptakes... like the whole eastern European block, and flyover states in the US etc. Liverpool of course falls into that too - still, I'm a bit surprised by the comparatively low uptake, as it always seems a very forward thinking city, like voting to remain in Europe..though i guess there's consistency with both choices being anti-govt).

Still, I'm sure they could still fill it with only vaccinated people if it came to it. To be honest, I think maybe being proactive in this is the way to go - drop to, say, 60% capacity now, and stagger entry times so the concourses aren't all packed at once (think this is more important than the outdoor seating aspect) rather than risk dropping to 0 capacity soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

The timing of the "Coutinho looking for loan deal" is suspiciously close to the Salah contract end game negotiations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Coutinho has been looking for a loan for the last 4 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭foozzybear61

How has Kabak fared at Norwich City .. Not seen or herd much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭foozzybear61

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

On the bench any time I've seen them, behind Grant Hanley and even the Irish lad Andrew Omobamidele it seems in the pecking order.

It would be best to play the best team next round over two legs. The likes of Villareal are dangerous, they did win the Europa league, PSG would be a good tie, over two legs. I think they'll beat anyone else, so best to knock them out ourselves now.

I'd prefer if someone eise drew PSG myself! They are definitely one of the potential winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It wouldn’t be all bad drawing PSG in the last 16, as opposed to later in the competition. We probably wouldn’t have to worry about facing Neymar as he normally takes about a month off “injured” to celebrate his sister’s birthday in Brazil around that time every year (always found that a bit weird). That’s factual by the way, look it up.

So, just Messi and Mbappé to worry about. We have Nat Phillips. No worries, at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Its not enough to see your sister everytime you look at the tattoo of her on your right arm, sometimes you just need the month away together. Strange lad, is neymar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

On the subject of Barcelona players, I wonder if it has crossed the minds of Edwards and his team to help Barcelona with their financial mess by relieving them of the likes of Pedri, Gavi or Fati.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Same here. Certainly wouldn't be afraid of PSG if we drew them, and I'd be pretty confident of progression, but would much rather PSG play a different 'contender' as that means a contender getting knocked out for certain. Hopefully they get the likes of Bayern - having one of PSG or Bayern gone so early in the knock-outs simply increases our chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Same, would like to see United get PSG, Chelsea get Bayern and City to get Atletico. 😄

Phillips out till early 2022 with a fractured jaw.

I see Phillips played on in the second half at Ac with a fractured cheek bone the lad is a born competitor .

He will be out now till the new year ,could out any move away from the club in danger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Probably happened when himself and Zlatan clashed heads I'd imagine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Such a pity he will miss the League Cup QF game now. He was surely going to start that.

I see Jota hasn't trained yet this week ,So very unlikely he starts the weekend,

I'd imagine with Origi form Klopp will keep faith in him rather than risk Jota ,

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Mane Origi Salah to start against Villa then? Keeping faith with Origi after 2 goals in 2 games.

Taki could help replicate the brilliant pressing that both Bobby/Jota bring, and link play, but Origi won't. He does carry more of a goal threat though. And can play more direct with him also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I found it weird that Klopp was pushing Taki into a midfield role rather than one of the front 3, but it worked vs Milan. He also played a few mins in midfield in a few other games already this season, maybe they are trying to get players more versatile to cover more positions. You have Taki playing midfield or forward, same as Ox, Neco Williams is playing right back or right wing, Gomez still being pushed out to RB when needed,

• Advertisement

To be fair he didn't really have any other option for midfield in Milan ,

Origi deserved his start, Mane & Mo want to start every Champion league game so the only relay chance for Takki to play was in midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

City will get Salzburg, Chelsea will get Lille, United will get Sporting and we will get PSG. Just watch.

I seen a great quote on twitter from an ex player working for one of the Italian channels , i can't recall who its wrecking my head but anyway he said , talking after the the AC Milan game on how some people said this was the group of death and he said yes it was the group of death but Liverpool where the Grim Reaper ,love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m getting fed up with the constant talk in the media about Gerrard becoming Liverpool manager, possibly as soon as Klopp leaves. He did ok in the two horse race that is the Scottish league, winning one of the 9 trophies they could win during his time there, and has won a couple of games with AV. I don’t think there can be any room whatsoever for sentimentality when appointing a manager at a huge club like Liverpool, it must always be the best person possible. We are in for years of this crap now, no doubt it will reach a high level of absurdity tomorrow.

He's definitely not ready yet, and it's not worth serious discussion until he proves himself further in his career (though as you say it'll keep coming up just because he's Steven Gerrard)

Buuuut, equally, I don't think we need to put down what he did in Scotland. It wasn't a two horse race when he arrived (and if it was, those horses would've been Celtic and Aberdeen - Aberdeen having finished 2nd for 4 straight years when Gerrard joined Rangers). But really, it was very much a one horse race, and had been almost a decade since Rangers had even finished in the top two. And the manner of their league win was pretty incredible - not just winning it, but absolutely destroying it. And going further in Europe than any Scottish team had in yeeears. He did a very good job. I mean, the general consensus at the time was that it was a daft job to take, as they could never break Celtic's dominance but had fans with massive, and totally unrealistic expectations. But he did it. He stopped Celtic winning 10 in a row, went unbeaten in the process, got over 100 points, scoring goals for fun, and conceding less than half of anyone else. We can recognize that he hugely overachieved and did a really good job, without calling for him to get the Liverpool job.

I wouldn't mind seeing Klopp signing an extension to his contract to bring his time at Liverpool to 10 years before retiring from club football and taking a year off before taking the Germany job after the 2026 World Cup.

That would give us another 3 full seasons with Klopp as manger.

Just saw there that Todd Cantwell is a free agent next summer.

At 23 he would be a very good signing as free agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Advertisement

Edit: that online talk about team was wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Rahhem Sterling just scored his 100th PL goal.

Seems i was right abkut Ox as a false9

Although he could still play wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

City get handed the lead, several dive attempts at penos , finally given for handball that hit his ribcage onto underside of his arm .. Terrible imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Seems to make the most sense. Maybe interchanging with Mo. But I would imagine we will see him in. Positions like the one that lead to Salah's goal against Milan.

They tried Ox as a false 9 for a bit in pre season. Interested to see how it fares out.

He looks to have that bit of a burst of energy and pace over 2/3 yards to beat a man quickly. He didn't have that last year or the year before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Thought this was on premier sports ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

GERRARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If ever there was a passage of play that showed just how far off his best VVD is since his injury, it’s that. He’ll get there soon hopefully, but there’s a long way to go.

Advertisement