Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would suggest too that every single party is an organised event : Definition: a social gathering of invited guests, typically involving eating, drinking, and entertainment

A spontaneous gathering where a group of people in a room decide on the spur of the moment to start eating and drinking and chatting could hardly be described as a party. But even this would have been forbidden by the restrictions last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not at all, it is safe to assume that those at that party are definitely on such a record. Everyone who is on the record, should be asked were they at it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Of course they are on such a record. They all work there. They are probably on a record of being in the building every single day.

Asking everyone who works in No10 if they were at the party is somewhat bordering on witch hunt territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭moon2

How about asking people who arrived after normal working hours, and/or who left at an unusually late hour? You know, standard non-hysterical ways of checking up on something by speaking with the most likely group first.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think you miss the point of access control.

You are allowed in the door if you have access to the building. To get any further, every door has access control - you swipe your fob, which is registered. So say the party was on the first floor, room 115, at 8.00 pm, then when you enter room 115 at 8.10, your presence is registered, plus your image on the CCTV overlooking the door records you entering with your secret Santa gift. Not just you, but everyone else.

Access control is not just the front door, but every door, and each person that has access is also controlled.

• Advertisement

Asking everyone who works in No10 if they were at the party is somewhat bordering on witch hunt territory.

Ah, I get it, you must not have heard any of the stories around this.

Here are some. While the people in Downing Street were having a party which was in direct contravention of the guidance given by the Government, members of the public were doing their best to adhere to that guidance. People were saying goodbye to their dying parents over the phone, people were exchanging christmas gifts with their kids in car parks, people were spending all their time with zero human contact, people were cancelling visits and get togethers, all because the government said it was needed to keep people safe, to protect the NHS and so on.

And people who tried to do what was going on in Downing Street and were caught doing so, were charged and fined for doing so. Two people were fined 10,000 each for organising such gatherings.

Not trying to find out what went on (and coming up with pathetic excuses to not do so as the Met has done) is a massive kick in the face of people who have struggled massively, and continue to struggle. And not only that, but it negates entirely any future messaging from the Government before it is even made. And the final insult on this diabolical situation is the absolute apathy those in power, and in Downing Street have for peoples suffering as they try to lie blatantly to ensure they aren't held responsible, and even after the emergence of the video where they joked about how to manage the story were it to emerge, they still try to save their own skins.

Johnson, and the UK Government, and the Tory party have shown without question the disdain in which they hold the public, the NHS and the offices they hold. From handing Covid PPE contracts to friends who were unable to deliver adequately leading to frontline staff having to put themselves at risk, to thinking clapping for staff and an effective pay cut was an appropriate reward for the efforts of these workers. Or portraying immigrants, many of who work in the NHS as a problem to be reduced and removed while the NHS creaked under resource issues. Or Boris setting such a bad example when it comes to mask wearing or interacting with others. This period will be looked on with shame by people in the future as to just what has gone on.

It's not just about the Christmas party, it's about how they have demonstrated how little respect they have for those who have suffered so much and done so much only to be met with insult and ignorance by people who are literally partying as normal. We've seen such a slide in standards and morals expected of elected officials over recent years. Wanting to call attention to this and correct it isn't a witch-hunt, it's a necessity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ah, I get it, you must not have heard any of the stories around this.

I've heard plenty but thanks for your condescension.

The idea that you can prove who was at the supposed party by checking logs is absurd. It took place within a work environment in which all of these people would normally be present in anyway. Checking who left "unusually late" is stupid as they all would have been leaving late every evening. There is also no way every single door in the building has access control as that would be ridiculously over the top - different sections of it would. Of course they should try and find out what happened and it is completely unacceptable that it took place, but people have a weird idea of how you go about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Laura Kuenssberg naming the No 10 Director of Comms as the potential culprit on Twitter just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

And you know this is all that was at the party ?

50 people is not a few bottles and a bit of brie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

considering there is video evidence of "Handy Hancock" grabbing his aide by the ass in his own office, how is there not a video of this party/non party which would show exactly who was or wasnt there ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A spontaneous gathering where a group of people in a room decide on the spur of the moment to start eating and drinking and chatting could hardly be described as a party.

And if this is their justification for saying 'this wasn't a party as such' there's no way it's going to fly. The quantities of alcohol required to lubricate such a 'gathering' don't just suddently materialise at the heart of what is essentialy an office complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Hancocks was cctv iirc, so if there isn't cctv of this party/gathering, there is inevitably pics and phone videos, as there inevitably always is on these occasions. If or when any see the light of day is another question, again i would personally assume an air of inevitability about it. One curious element of this whole thing is that itv had that video for quite some time, several weeks at a minimum, but sat on it until the mirror broke the story, for whatever reason. I suspect several publications have stuff they're sitting on here but not using it for one reason or another. Just an idle suspicion really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Also, the timing tells us it 'must' have been a pre-planned Christmas party. Seven days before Christmas Day : it couldn't have been anything but a Christmas party and everyone at it knew they were attending one.

Plus, I'd say secret santas are probably not easily got at very late notice a week before Xmas day!

There is also no way every single door in the building has access control as that would be ridiculously over the top.

Doors in everything from small businesses or offices to schools, hospitals and gyms have various levels of access nearly as a defacto design principle more and more now these days. It's most definitely not over the top given the security, flexibility and traceability it provides. And it isn't actually that expensive in terms of installation costs.

That aside, the focus isn't on the method of determining who was there. That's kinda deflection really. The focus should be on finding out the exact details as soon as possible, whatever the method.

When it comes to Covid Management, how do you argue with this?

Portillo used to have a very cozy gig with Andrew Neil back in the day. Another example of the close ties between the BBC and key Tory figures/policy. Question Time itself is no longer the 'hard questions' type program I have a perception of it being more the case when David Dimleby was host but maybe I'm not remembering it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Look, I know we're all speculating here, but this is a very old building with big solid walls between the rooms, not a modern office block where every floor is open-plan and uses thin partitions to create "rooms". There is no way that once someone has access to a specific wing of the building that they can roam freely without having to unlock any doors. It may certainly be the case in some instances that some doors are left open between (say) the PM's office and an adjoining meeting room.

At the very least from a security perspective, if an attacker was to breach the building the first thing you would do is lock the internal doors. And in order for doors to be locked, they need to be closed. So most of the doors would be closed, most of the time, and would require a swipe card to access.

All that aside, it would still be very easy to produce a report of who was in the building at (say) 10pm that evening, and ask all of those individuals to account for their presence. It's a busy office no doubt, but even politics sleeps overnight. There'd be a minimal number of people present after 9pm unless there was something specific going on.

Later day Dimbleby was just as bad. Allowing Brexiters to make all sorts of nonsense and then keep inviting them back for the ratings

Given the uk has a ministerial code system in which the pm is the ultimate arbiter, I wouldn't be so sure this is what will sink Boris Johnson, but boy, is he digging some hole for himself. If Lord Geidt does resign, as speculated by the telegraph, then that will be two standards commissioners gone within the space of a year, after the previous guy quit in the wake of the Patel bullying scandal. To lose one standards commissioner might be unfortunate etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Once again we remember "Yes,Minister" and the episode where Sir Humphrey is desperately trying to get to PM Hacker via a windowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Diana Abbot and Alan Johnson made regular appearances on Neil's BBC 2 show as well, so I don't know why you'd describe Portillo's appearances particularly as 'cozy'.

Just because people appeared on the program, does not mean that they are treated in the same fashion.

How many presenters/key personnel do the BBC have that are aligned with Labour policies as they do with respect to the conservatives? Even Question Time has been repeatedly accused of treating different views quite differently, an accusation that was frequently made throughout the Brexit years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Just because people appeared on the program, does not mean that they are treated in the same fashion.

Abbot and Johnson were sitting MP's. You'd expect them to be treated differently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it was mentioned that things might be more serious if the Mirror takes up the charge against Johnson? Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but to that point, if true...

Not exactly as if they were playing Sardines in number 10, but still Not a Great Look. The noose perhaps tightening the slightest bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

On the 'don't they have security cameras like in Hancocks office' angle... Could be that they put bin bags on them after episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Was in the car yesterday and heard David Gauke being aired as openly saying that Johnson is not someone that the British public can trust based on the short-term evidence of behaviour that is backing up longer term evidence of behaviour from the man (who knew that a duck is a duck is a duck and it took this long for people to figure that out ... ). Fairly prominent tory party member (and former MP) and a very hostile comment to be made publically, adding to ominous signs like pantomine acts along with Ant & Dec openly mocking Johnson & the government in recent days; it's looking like Johnson's time is short.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I think Starmer and Labour are happy to leave Johnson there.

They want to take down the Tories, not just Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Tories will ditch Johnson if he becomes a liability. Unlike Major in the 90s, the Tories have a chance of winning the next election. So Boris needs to improve the poll ratings or face a challenge.

• Advertisement

Labour have a way better chance against Johnson over a blank slate look at Corbyn vs May. He was a leader who didn't appeal to the centre ground but drove May into a DUP coalition. Starmer could definitely beat an unpopular Tory leader but maybe not a neutral one

Advertisement