Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Copy of post I have just made in the main thread:

We get the fact some of you bare dissatisfied with the performance of the Chief Medical Officer, NEPHT, members of the Government and indeed some of the experts you may pay attention to on TV, radio or indeed the print media

We also get the fact that some of you like to let off steam in this and indeed other threads in the forum

However repeatedly stating your dislike/hatred of such people and abusing them here is not only irritating to posters who like to interact in a civil manner, but it's also highly offensive to the individuals in question. Can posters just refrain from resorting to such commentary as it not going to achieve anything beyond winding up (ie trolling) other users and attracting mod attention

I am copying this warning into the Relaxation of Restrictions thread. but it applies equally across the forum

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Thanks Beasty, any chance we can sort out the off topic rents on vaccination/non vaccination drivel too please? Every time I drop into the thread I have to go through pages of unrelated crap. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Interesting use of words..."To get vaccines into our most marginalized and vulnerable",presumably,with their informed consent ?

If that consent is'nt forthcoming from any in your chosen group,will there be Security on hand to restrain them whilst you ready the syringe ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Listening to BBC news this evening and the reporter doing a "for and against" segment on mandatory vaccination.

Found it remarkable, because over here the "against" side would immediately be jumped upon and labelled anti-vax conspiracy theorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭growleaves

Good Morning Britain were discussing it as well. Clearly lots of 'kite flying' going on.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

Can we change the thread title. As the restrictions have increased since yesterday its a bit of a conspiracy to say they are being relaxed..

Nobody has suggested mandatory vaccination here, let alone start a debate, so again, you are inventing a scenario purely to feed your internal anger and paranoia

Wasn't Simon Harris talking about it in 2019?

so current member of government has brought up the idea. It has been discussed.

discussed for Health care.

So it's not completely off the table for certain people. Once it's okay then it's easily expanded.

Just like passes were only for indoor dining. But are now for gyms. (Well some gyms)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭growleaves

The CEO of Nursing Homes Ireland Tadhg Daly suggested it.

It's also been endorsed by a few boardsies, including on this thread and the Austria thread.

Unfortunately when people's morale has collapsed they become incapable of acting morally.

I do not look forward to demoralised people telling me that mandatory vaccination is 'another tool' or asking questions like "But why wouldn't we bring in mandatory vaccination?" if that is what the future holds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

GMB ran a Twitter poll that came up as something like 80% against mandatory vaccination with 50k respondents.

Then they deleted it. 😂

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭MOR316

I'd probably take my chances in the next life to be honest. It should be about choice and it's incredibly sad to see history repeating itself.

"Jews are the problem, stay away from them! They carry diseases and should be banned from everywhere! "Stay away from the gays, they spread AIDS and should be banned from everywhere" "Stay away from people who don't want to get the vaccine! They're destroying the world and are murderers and should be banned from everywhere"

My faith in this world is at an all time low

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I’ve been disappointed with how many people think principles are just things you pretend to believe when it’s easy to do so.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well that's a bit tangential, if people post here mention the unvaccinated, the loons pile on and talk endlessly about the few people who can't be vaccinated (you'll see the same people start every post about how vaccines and restrictions don't work of course).

But if you have a better name for the group who can be vaccinated but chose not to, then suggest the label (other than the star child "we're all people" response).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I am shocked that you, of all people, would post so disingenuously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭JRant

A good start would be to just call them unvaccinated. It's simple and straight to the point without needlessly labelling it in a derogatory manner. Personally, I don't care if someone is vaccinated or not because, to be quite frank, it's none of my business. I got the vaccine for my own reasons, which is a personal decision but I'm not going to lecture someone for not taking it. That's on them to live with.

We are now at the stage where the deficiencies of the health system have been completely laid bare for all to see. Some think we need to vaccinate children to keep protecting it or that going after the remaining 6/7% is worth it. I personally don't think it’s going to make much difference to the abundance of caution approach by the NPHET/ HSE. our biggest problem right now is that we need to increase ICU capacity to that of a semi functioning health care system and try get on a par with the EU average. Can this be done overnight? Of course not. But I don't for one second agree that this government should be using emergency legislation to curb our rights while at the same time demonising a section of society for doing something that is completely within their rights to do, ie not take a vaccine.

The vaccines work, this thing is done. What we currently have is a political game of cover your arse to distract from the massive failings of the HSE and successive governments.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

All that and you didn't answer the central point that the unvaccinated description isn't enough for a lot of the unvaccinated themselves and sends threads into whataboutery, but look, you can be the arbiter next time it comes up :)

Restrictions didn't work so we needed a vaccine. Vaccines didn't work well enough so we still need restrictions..so we will get more vaccines which will then need more restrictions to increase vaccine up take..rinse and repeat. 2 years lad...2 years.

Restrictions never stopped the rise of the virus.

Case numbers in Sweden peaked in January the same time they peaked here. Then dropped in summer.

Virus gonna virus.

We know restrictions work, we also know to look at each countries factors as to why somehow their numbers are different (e.g. Sweden being comparatively worse than their neighbours).

But if you want a thread that the vaccines are ineffective and restrictions don't work, you're probably better off starting one on that topic rather than putting easily disproven nonsense into all the other threads as it also undermines the good points you make.

@JRant case in point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Nothing disingenuous, at all, about highlighting the continued unhealthy need some have to invent scenarios to get outraged at.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A not insignificant portion of the unvaccinated are very much not “pro choice”, spending their time telling everyone who will listen that the vaccines are dangerous and will cause all sorts of side effects. The pivot towards a “pro choice” face was only when it was blatantly obvious to anyone and everyone than the serious effects being predicted by the “pro choice” did not occur.

But of course they have the right to choose. The right to choose does not give immunity from being called a charlatan, idiot or both though.

My own suggestion for this subgroup of the unvaccinated is the “Anti-factxers”

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Do you see any room in this world of yours for earth mothers, homeopaths, alternative medicine practitioners any more? Everyone has to lay down and take it? Despite life long held convictions to never put products that they believe not of natural origin in their bodies?

All just antivax idiots?

I'm vaccinated, not really an alternative therapies kinda person but there's more than just followers of Facebook groups with their reasons for not taking vaccines.

We've decided they've no place anymore and they are the root of all our ills.

Sickens me to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I didn't answer that because it's not what we were talking about. Sure, look, knock yourself out, call people whatever you like, it's just not my cup of tea.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

You may not have noticed I said a "subgroup of the unvaccinated"

The below would represent some of the views on the matter

• Advertisement

Where do the people who have had covid, recovered, understand that they have good levels of antibodies 5months post infection (did a test) and do not agree that any person, government, institution should be allowed to dictate where they can and cannot go based on their choice that the vaccine is just not need for them fit into your little drawing?

You like to say things like "well choices have consequences" that would be all well and good if private businesses wanted to implement their own requirements for entry, but the reality is that they don't want to check peoples medical status.

Example:

Gyms weren't checking passes since they re opened. Only due to a directive do they now do it. That isn't the gyms choice.

So to say that your choices have consequences and then not allow businesses to free choose if they want to use passes or not isnt a choice. Thats pure coercion.

Choices have consequences why not expand that to everything you don't agree with that takes up hospital beds. Because its not about being infectious since both vaccinated and unvaccinated can do spread covid (and now omicron at closer level)

So ban fat people. They are a bigger burden to the health system and people who need hospital beds.

Advertisement