Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New handicap system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

I think 230-250 is decent when it’s all carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Personally I'm saddened to see casual rounds being monetized by clubs. I think it takes away from genuine golfers who want to lower their handicap but feel they are already paying enough in membership fees. Not surprised to see 9 hole scores not being supported. Why pay money for half a round of golf ? Getting a quick 9 in for your handicap after work in the evening is great for lads who are busy with families at the weekend. Paying for the privilege when you already pay a lot is tough enough.

My club doesnt charge for them. I'm on the handicaps committee and have personally taken ownership of managing casual rounds. It doesnt take up too much of my time and I enjoy it. I know there are some on the main committee who would like to charge for them but I keep putting them off it. I think it's good that we encourage our members to get as many counting rounds in as they can and competitions have not suffered at all. Year on year, the number of people entering club competitions at the weekend have gone up (increased membership and members who had handicaps they couldnt play to before, now being competitive have played a part for sure).

In every club, and life in general, there are a couple of rotten eggs that ruin it for everyone else but the 99% shouldn't suffer just because you're trying to stop the 1%. That's just not fair on the genuine people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

Far more than decent. 230 carry well above average, 250 is long. And with those distances you can take shorter lines too. So on a 420 yard hole, if you carry it 230 there's a good chance you can take a bit off a corner and make it a 400 yard hole. Leaving yourself 170 to the green. And 420 yards is pretty long for most courses.

To be honest, if you're carrying it 230 to 250, you're not leaving yourself 180+ yards on 8 par 4s on many courses in Ireland. Did they do the scramble from the back tees or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

my playing partner was 5 over off 20+ handicap purely because he wasnt using his tee shots(the winner off 30 handicap lost 6 balls off the tee so wouldn't have featured in a singles event)

im led to believe our presidents & captains winner is about to get a big end of yr cut along with a few other of our notable bandits.

the €5 charge has absolutely put a stop to the cheats building their handicap. the number of casual returned since it was brought in is miniscule. not one 9 hole scores returned

the was is a good system for those of us who play honestly.

sadly the cheats will always cheat.

but I do believe that the €5 will prohibit the bandits. of it doesn't just up the fee to €50 per casual score returned

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

We have par 4’s of the following lengths:

and afaik those are measurements to the front . We have a couple of more par 4’s that driver isn’t necessarily the play, that can then leave a long second shot.

I was remembering what yardages our group had left in on Sunday, that’s what I was basing that on. We had over 180 left in on 8 par 4’s. We mustn’t have been hitting as well as we though 🤣Tees were slightly forward but between the cold and the ground the ball was going nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Initially I was thinking that's a lot of long par 4s but when I checked my own course of the tips there are 8 400+ yard par 4s which genuinely surprised me. Carlow is generally firm and fast in the summer so plenty of run out and a lot of the greens allow you to land a ball short and still roll on the green. In my experience of these holes only a poor tee shot on the 7th (455yds - index 1) or not catching the slope on the 14th (476yds - Index 5) will mean you aren't getting there in 2 but other than that they're all manageable assuming you're not in trouble off the tee. I'd carry around 230-250 typically though which is slightly above average I think. 180 yards into a par 4 regularly would not be fun I agree, that's at least a 5i for most if not a 3/4iron which is a tough shot for even a single digit handicap I would say. In winter I find everything is that bit shorter with the cold and lack of run out which can make holes feel like a slog. I don't really play winter golf for scoring though, just purely to keep my swing in some sort of shape. Wouldn't see the appeal of even a scramble in this weather to be honest.

Interesting topic on length of par 4s though, would be interested to see what the average par 4 lengths are in Ireland. Off the tips probably not the best method of comparison though.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Open question on the competition handicap calculations. Are the % of playing handicap applied set in stone or do competition committees have flexibilty on how they are applied???

I know the singles is 95% and that's fairly standard but for other formats could this be scaled back??

Scrambles for instance, instead of 25%/20%/15%/10% could a club run it as 20%/15%/10%/5% ???

Same for unlisted formats like a champagne scramble, are you tied to the 85% as per 4 person team with 2 to score rules or can you go back to 75% let's say.

Links to official docs would be helpful too as our comp secretary can be sticky on these issues, I can't find them in the golf ireland literature at the moment.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's in the WHS rules of handicapping. Delegated to national associations and can be delegated from them to regional associations or golf clubs. The recommended allowances are based on medium field sizes, so can be amended. Also worth noting that many formats are not recognised formats for handicap competitions in this country, so until they are, allowances can be changed without any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭valc

So, for 11, 12 or 13 hole non qualifying singles comps in Winter, can a club decide whether or not to apply a 95% adj to your pro-rata Course Hcap

Not sure why they would tbh. The 95% adjustment is there to level the playing field for handicap indexes of 10 and under. Taking it away would make no change to their playing handicaps but give an extra shot or more back to players over 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bobster453

Hi All,

So for a pleb like me who hasn' been a member anywhere in 3-4 years I thought I would have a look at this new handicap thingy.

I knew the old system like the back of my hand but this new system, while having some merits..ie average based calculation, does seem to be rife for cheating.

For instance casual rounds count towards hc, wtf?

Also this as per Golfireland site

Preferred lies, winter mats, how can they possibly give a true reflection of playing ability.

Or maybe I am just an old stick in the mud :)

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bobster453

And what does all this mean for an average Joe Soap like me who only wants to play a game?

Firstly those conditions for handicap counting were in existence under CONGU. They're not new and nothing to do with WHS.

Secondly, yes casual rounds count for your handicap, but there are terms and conditions which can vary from club to club. Some clubs charge for them for example. The purpose is to ensure that people have an up to date handicap which is essential in an average based system and an ongoing problem up to now.

Thirdly, there is no system that is immune to cheating. However the new system provides considerable reporting functions, one of which is a report comparing general play (casual) scores to competition scores. Also one of the advantages of the general play system is that you can now submit rounds from other countries for your handicap. As I did this year for rounds played in Portugal. Which actually reduced my handicap.

To answer your question above, well, how much time have you got? 😉

Basically all courses are now rated for difficulty. So you will have a different playing handicap depending on the slope rating of the course or tees. For example if you have a handicap index of 18, your course handicap for a course with a slope rating of 120 will be (18/113)*120 = 19. (113 is the slope rating of a neutral course - above 113 is hard, below 113 is easy). However if you play a tougher course (say Mount Juliet with a slope of 140), you will have (18/113)*140 = 22.

Course handicap is the replacement for your CONGU handicap and is adjusted for the format you are playing to give you a playing handicap (old strokes received). For stroke play or stableford, it's 95%. For fourball matchplay it's 90%.

That's the gist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Or, don't worry too much about the calculation stuff. The Golf Ireland app will tell you your handicap if you input any course for casual rounds...or if you're playing a comp your card will tell you what to play off that day 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Played a fourball scramble at the weekend. Short course, low scores as expected but the new WHS makes a complete mockery of it now.

The winners playing off the following handicaps 11,13,20,26 had a handicap of 13 in the new system

Based on previous system (1/8 or 1/10, i can't remember), their handicap would have been 7 or 8.75. Gaining a lot of shots. Winning score -21. 8 birdies.

Absolute joke, teams of low or lowish men getting completly screwed.

I played with two scratch golfers and a 19 handicap. Old system, handicap of 3 or 3.75. New System = 3. 3 eagles, 6 birdies for -15.

Where's the fairness there?

I was thinking about the guys who game the system essentially - putting in casual rounds to buff up their handicaps. I wonder would it be an idea to limit the number of casual rounds someone can submit?

Ultimately, the reason to include the casual rounds is to keep the handicaps current. My next door neighbour back home used to play every Saturday morning because it suited him. It meant he was playing 50 times a year but virtually never in competition, so he had no counting rounds, but was a regular golfer. He's exactly the guy you want to submit casual scores. I never heard of him popping up to win the captains or anything, he was an honest guy. The handicap system just didn't really cater for him. But encouraging the submitting of casual scores will help to keep handicaps more relevant to the players in general.

But now the stories of fellas winning the club majors with 50 points or so all tend to be guys who had reputations as bandits under the old system, who should probably be single figures but instead are around the 18 mark. And usually lads who are playing every Sunday. If you had a limit on the number of casual scores they (or anyone) could submit, you might go a long way to solving the problem of them gaining an extra 5 shots before the club major. The rule could be something like, if you have 15 comp scores in the last 12 months, you can have a max of 5 casual scores in your 20 counting ones for handicap. That way if they tank 5 casual round scores, it'll be the best 8 of their last 15 comps. They might still be able to get an extra shot or two, but you couldn't build the handicap in the same way. You could even do a simple max of 5 casual scores can be used per calendar year. Although in the case of someone like my neighbour I mentioned above, that would mean that on the 1st January, he'd have 5 scores from November / December each year and a couple of comp scores making up his handicap. I think the max of 5 if you have 15 comp scores would be the better way.

Of course a big part of the problem is that it's a global system and it doesn't sound like these guys are a global problem. So if Ireland is 1% of the global golfing population and these guys are 0.1% of our golfing population, are you looking to tweak the system to cater for 0.001% of golfers who are acting the bollocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Really I'd say more of a byproduct of the type of golf played in the different countries

In the US they play mostly casual golf, so lots more vanity handicaps.

In Ireland we play mostly competition golf, so lots more increased handicaps. Pretty sure they're seeing similar issues in England and Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I’ve played in a couple of scrambles. thankfully common sense prevailed and we just used 10% of the combined

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Brusna

Are you joking? You had two scratch golfers and a handicap of 3. Even if only one of them played to their handicap you would already be -3. -12 for that team is not a good score and in all fairness deserves nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Brusna

Where’s the common sense in using a format that is heavily biased towards low handicap players?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I was thinking about the guys who game the system essentially - putting in casual rounds to buff up their handicaps. I wonder would it be an idea to limit the number of casual rounds someone can submit?

I think I posted this a while back, I think they missed a trick by not limiting General Play scores. My thought would be to have them as a % of your comp scores. Let’s say 10%, so for every 10 comp rounds you can have 1 counting GP round

If h/cap secs are doing their job, it's very easy to see if players are gaming the system with general play rounds. The problem with limiting the numbers is something I pointed out a while ago, which is the fact that a lot of five-day members of clubs are putting in GP scores because they don't have the same access to competitions as full members.

Great minds golfgraffix.

The problem with doing it the way you're suggesting is where people don't play in many comps. Take a GAA ref who might be doing matches on a Sunday morning - to keep his handicap current the majority of his scores will be casual. Or I'm thinking of a beginner I played with who wanted to get his handicap down before he'd start playing in comps regularly. A stupid notion, but that's what he was doing.

The problem guys are the ones who have enough comp scores that they don't need to submit many casual ones, but submit a heap of casual ones (generally high scores). You want to limit the number of casuals that they can submit. It would also be useful for the elite amateur guys. We don't see it mentioned often here, but I believe there are a lot of guys submitting really low scores for casual rounds and qualifying for competitions that they wouldn't qualify for if they had to rely on their competition scores.

But I agree with you that a limit on the amount of casual scores you can submit is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

which 10th round would it use? random or do you pick? doesn't make much sense really

Nothing is going to stop someone who wants to manipulate their handicap other than manual intervention and removing them when it is obvious

Why break the system for most to try and stop a few lads cheating

Better to have most on a fairer and more current handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

The beginner you are playing with that wanted to get his hcap down before entering comps didn't have a stupid notion in my opinion. He has probably seen people in a similar situation as him have their scores plastered across social media being accused of cheating.

There is an implication in some of the stuff I have seen online that only low hcap players should be contending in comps particularly majors. Why is that? Surely there should be and equal spread of winners in comparison to number of members in each category. If a club has <10% of members playing off low single figure hcap than they should win less than 10% of the time. I would imagine with the large influx of new members across most clubs over the past 2 years there has also been an increase in the average hcap across the club. This could be due to needing 20 rounds for an accurate hcap or that there is an increase in people that hadn't played the game previously now playing in clubs.

There is definitely an issue with some people manipulating their hcap (always has been) but I think it is being exaggerated.

That wasn't why the beginner didn't want to play on a Sunday. He felt under pressure in the comps, so is going to play in them when he's a better golfer. I said playing in them will make him a better golfer. Also, I don't see why he was self conscious playing with a randomer on a Sunday but not a Saturday.

And I've seen countless times people fairly openly say that higher handicaps shouldn't be entitled to win the club majors, or even club competitions. I'm certainly not arguing that. But there are a very small number of people who cheat the system. Generally not the high handicappers as far as I can see anyway. They're the ones I'm thinking of when I suggest putting limitations on the number of casual scores that can be used to calculate a handicap. I'm even specifically targeting people who play in a lot of comps, so if someone doesn't play in comps for whatever reason they can still maintain a handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

Sorry I didn't format my post too well there. I wasn't suggesting you were saying all those things. More that, as you say, there are countless people that hold some of those opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 23,567 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah if my club started charging for submitting casual rounds I'd stop submitting them. Generally every round I play I submit on the app, whether it's 9 or 18 at home or playing away at a mates club. My three best rounds in my 8 counting rounds are casuals. If I was being asked to pay a fiver on top of membership fees just to work on lowering my handicap when that was one of the best benefits from WHS it would leave a bad taste in the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

What if casual rounds could only decrease your handicap? And increases could only come from competition rounds?

Or if the increase from general play was drastically cut to avoid handicap building?

Sorry if that's a stupid suggestion. I'm new to golf so still trying to wrap my head around all this stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

To win we would have needed 18 birdies. I don't think that kind of scoring is achievable and teams getting 5 extra shots year on year shows it's heavily weighted to suit teams of high men now.

Advertisement