Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

Momentum has dropped off and they don't need to pull in new fans?

No need to spend big money on something ending that's not a global smash

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For sure, but then even Game of Thrones, surely the smashiest of smash hits, got a reduced final season. As you say it's likely a money saving move, as there's no value to the show anymore. Shame

GoT was an anomaly, to this. Dumb and Dumber wanted to go off and live the high life with Netflix and Star Wars.

HBO tried to throw money at them to have an EXTENDED season, not truncated. They were offered more seasons to complete the storylines correctly but they refused.

HBO wanted to leverage a smash finale to push their spin off series. I mean look how little hype the prequel is getting, because of that terrible final season.

I think that Amazon are only bothered finishing this off because, while not a massive hit, they probably know that there is a good number of fans with Prime subs just for this show and they don't want to piss them off.

It's funny when you consider that Amazon use The Expanse in all their promotional materials but, at the same time, they have no faith in it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The way i see it, GoT's final season was split in two and aired 2 years apart with the second half of it called "season 8" instead of season 7.5. HBO have a history of doing this sort of thing with their popular shows - see Mad Men, Sopranos, Breaking Bad. Look it that way and it actually had more more episodes than normal. That the story felt rushed is really a problem with the source material, which went off on a tangent that I don't believe it will ever return from. The showrunners deserve credit for managing to end it at all, which more than Martin will ever be able to say.

I could definitely see Netflix picking up The Expanse. They seem to have money to burn and are throwing it anyone with a shootable script. That's provided there isn't already some plan for films/mini series.

Do we know if these episodes are going to be longer than normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭Talisman

Leviathan Falls - November 16th, 2021

Memory's Legion - May 16th, 2022 (Final novella to tie up the story according to Daniel Adraham)

EDIT: Leviathan Falls release date has been pushed back due to production issues according to the Expanse Wiki. November 30th (US), December 2nd (UK).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah I guess actually the sixth and "final" season isn't final in the sense that the writers are apparently not looking to wrap up the story.

It will be really frustrating if it ends up, as a show, going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,296 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It won't be a problem. You could easily not read the last 3 books and get a compelling end to the story.

It wouldn't work. Think about it in the context of the timeline of what has been screened of the story so far. They know relatively nothing about the protomolecule still and are unable to harness it. In reality it would take years to reverse engineer the technology which is the reason for the massive time gap between the books.

In response to your spoilered thoughts:

Expecting the defectors to find ready made battleships and instantly know how to operate them would be a leap well beyond what we know to be possible in terms of harnessing the already discovered technology.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I only just finished reading the 8th (second to last) Expanse book and, wowsers. No question, this TV season 6 can't touch the content of books 7 and 8; there's just too much going on. Storylines both interpersonal and galactic. The 30 year jump had to be done to do justice to the big ideas and changes going on, there was no believable way otherwise.

• Advertisement

Ha I didn't say it would be good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Season 1 to 5 recap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,658 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Every time this damn thread pops up in my feed I think someone is going to say that S6 is on the way.

But season 6 is on the way 😜 presume you meant season 7?

This just appeared on my list of suggestions from Amazon.

The blurb from the Amazon page:

Enter The Expanse to explore questions of the meaning of human life, the concept of justice, and the nature of humanity, featuring a foreword from author James S.A. Corey

The Expanse and Philosophy investigates the philosophical universe of the critically acclaimed television show and Hugo Award-winning series of novels. Original essays by a diverse international panel of experts illuminate how essential philosophical concepts relate to the meticulously crafted world of The Expanse, engaging with topics such as transhumanism, belief, culture, environmental ethics, identity, colonialism, diaspora, racism, reality, and rhetoric.

Conceiving a near-future solar system colonized by humanity, The Expanse provokes a multitude of moral, ethical, and philosophical queries: Are Martians, Outer Planets inhabitants, and Earthers different races? Is Marco Inaros a terrorist? Can people who look and sound different, like Earthers and Belters, ever peacefully co-exist? Should science be subject to moral rules? Who is sovereign in space? What is the relationship between human progress and aggression? The Expanse and Philosophy helps you answer these questions—and many more.

• Covers the first six novels in The Expanse series and five seasons of the television adaptation
    • Addresses the philosophical issues that emerge from socio-economics and geopolitics of Earth, Mars, and the Outer Planets Alliance
    • Offers fresh perspectives on the themes, characters, and storylines of The Expanse
    • Explores the connections between The Expanse and thinkers such as Aristotle, Kant, Locke, Hannah Arendt, Wittgenstein, Descartes, and Nietzsche

Available for pre-order and will be released on October 25th.

A new trailer, quite plot heavy. The last moment is very interesting, while this promotion clearly calls the upcoming run "the final season", so make of that what you will.

• Advertisement

Anyone manage to get their hands on the final book ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Picked it up earlier in the week. I had preordered from Amazon, but the day it was supposed to be delivered it got pushed out by a few weeks, but a bookshop near me had it in stock so I was in luck!

My preorder in Limerick fell through and got pushed back till next week and couldn't find it anywhere else in town. In Dublin for the weekend so hopefully pick it up there now that I know it exists in Ireland

Yeah, my Amazon pre-order was pushed out by a month. Unfortunately my luck finding a copy mightn't be yours, I live in Austria! I'd go into Hodges Figgis, that would be the first spot in Dublin I'd check.

• Advertisement

Thanks. At worst I have to wait a week but I really wanted it for my trip to Dublin

I bought the Kindle version yesterday for £7. At this point, I've just finished a chapter where everything is building towards a real crisis - and then the next chapter skips to the view-point of someone you absolutely don't care about at this point in the story. I just had to laugh and think "You utter, utter bastards."

You'll know exactly what I'm talking about when you get there:-)

It's better than Lord of the Rings where you read all the exciting part and then have to slog through half a book of Sam and Frodo

Can we spoiler any book talk? There's going to be cross chatter but the spoiler warning here is TV show based

There is a more appropriate thread for book talk if anyone is interested

I'm desperately waiting for Christmas to install it on my eBook reader. The kids are all getting physical books this year so the Nook will be mine. 😁

A reminder the last season is dropping this Friday; was reading a relatively spoiler-free review, and reading between the lines of what was mentioned, and how there are 3 more books after this "final season", it sounds like;

They are going to leave Laconia well alone, and not try and pull forward the plotting from 30 years later within the universe of the TV show. There's a suggestion we'll get some kind of small subplot on the planet though.

I got up early to watch it, great to have it back. 😁

"Strange Dogs" is the title of the novella set on Laconia and the opening sequence of the episode was like a little Easter egg for it.

New Game from Telltale Games set before the TV show announced last night

This is the last season and six episodes?

• Advertisement

I hear great things about these Telltale games so I'll have to give this a try

Just as a note, there's a bonus short episode if you go into Xray on Amazon Prime. I couldn't find it on my TV, but works on my laptop

Fair warning: IIRC all the original crew behind those games left; this Telltale is basically a new set of creatives albeit following the same genre.

The old team seem to be doing a Star Trek game

I hadn't noticed that. Is it the first time that they've done this?

I think it's the first time, I saw an interview with the showrunners saying that Amazon wanted to try it this season. Apparently there are shorts with the first five episodes. Each one focuses on a different character

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yet another week by week release. Feck sake Amazon.

I prefer it this way. I don't have many shows I like and no will power so I need to drag a few months fun out of the good ones

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I think the majority do. I'm on my own in wanting the ability to watch as much or as little of something when I want but hey ho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Same here, I think its more enjoyable than binge watching.

Delighted to hear its week to week; binge watching reduces shows and stories to "content", something trivial and without value. Glad Amazon are sticking with a weekly release for their top tier shows.

Savour the season guys, it's only 6 episodes and it's all we'll ever get at this stage.

Time to get the campaign started #6seasonsandamovie

I think the opening sequence featuring Laconia might be a hint that there are plans for the later material to be brought to the screen. The "Strange Dogs" novella is set during the 30 year gap between the "Babylon's Ashes" and "Persepolis Rising" books. Given that the season will end with the conclusion of the main story line from "Babylon's Ashes", there was little point to featuring Laconia unless of course it's to lead the TV series fans to the source material but that seems a bit contived.

I would have thought the majority prefer it all to be released at once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I like week by week

Amazon have released a bunch of their major shows weekly, so obviously it works for them if they keep doing it. TBH I'd say the preference isn't as clear cut as most prefer X.

It doesn't bother me cos I've read them all, but that's a bit spoilery for anyone not up to date.

I can't remember the last time an episode of anything flew past that quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Homelander

I will wait until all six are done, subscribe to Prime for a month and binge. Sad that this could be the end, even though the story's not over - not just in terms of the show v books, but the producers themselves said they'd shop around so you have to assume the show does not "end" entirely satisfactorily despite them making out this is the finale season as opposed to simply the last season.

Would be great if they gave it at least a soft ending so that those of us who aren't book readers aren't left hanging at the end of it all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement