Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid cash in hand?

Options
124»

Comments

Try not to take it personally. It's a thing https://www.thejournal.ie/booming-black-economy-killing-small-business-533041-Jul2012/ . Also, people on this thread have said they work for people in THIS industry and get paid cash - Cash labourer they called it.

As I said above there are signs that this may be the case. You don't need to have spent time in audit, but it probably helps.

BTW, do you think all tax evaders are scumbags - what about someone struggling to feed their family, pay the rent and does the odd nixer? Do you think they are scumbags? I wouldn't call them scumbags.

As for me, you can speculate all you like - you, no more than myself, are posting anonymously. I came on this thread to offer the OP advice (I think she's being badly treated as are others who seem to think they are not entitled to normal holiday pay - where's your uproar about that?) I corrected numerous factual mistakes by others. And yet, some on here took umbrage against an unnamed person that works in an industry where it's stated under the counter payments are made.

I'll ask you the same as others - what have you contributed to the OP?

I contributed an alternate point of view to the wild speculation and demands they are working for a tax dodger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Totally irrelevant.

Yes it may be a small sector, But that doesn't prove it doesn't happen, That's the point I made. Not to mention the fact other posters have experience with  builders, carpenters, electricians, and shopkeepers, so it's not just the agricultural industry.

As for what myself or other have contributed to the OP, I don't know the answer to that, You'd have to ask the op. But based on your tone I'd suspect you'd be of the opinion that you have contributed a great deal. All I've seen is assumption after assumption, and childish outbursts. F*ck all really

Point of view, so it was speculation. Because it cannot be proven either way. They may be like the other bus "employers" on this thread and do threat their workers badly or they may be entirely 100% honest businessmen. "wild speculation" despite all that's been said on the thread. I think it's obvious which we both think most likely.

So you don't understand what the thread has discussed. That's okay, you're not an accountant, so maybe it's unfair to expect you to. And I've covered the other areas. There is a probability being applied here.

But, let me add my own tuppence worth to your contribution, you've pointlessly helped set the thread off on a tangent, so you've done worse than not help the OP, you've hindered her, just so you could attempt a 'GOTCHA!'. 😏

• Advertisement

If you say so fella 😉

I enjoyed this, Unlike yourself it doesn't bother me if a random person on the internet agrees with me or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Thanks Tefal,

Yes I'm on the books as I could see from logging into revenue. I can see there what's being deducted etc, so I mightn't need a payslip. My dad does school collections with a VW Caddy and he doesn't get pay slips (or have a contract) but his holidays pay is accounted for. I don't expect that I'll be getting holidays pay! I don't know yet if I intend to ask for it, but I might be looked at if I've two heads. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Well you are entitled to holiday pay by law even as a part time worker and since you are registered with revenue your rights are protected. Our drivers can't take their holidays during the school term for obvious reasons unless it's an emergency etc... It's only my opinion but i'd be asking for the holiday pay unlikely they'll say no and with the shortage of drivers out there at present they should be doing all they can to keep you.

Thanks,

I must also ask. In the case of the storm we just had; do bus eireann still pay you (the business) for those days off. And should your employees be paid for those days?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Yes Brid we have a contract with Bus Eireann for the entirety of the school term. Once we are available to fulfil the contract we are paid.

As an example 2 of our buses where off the road recently because the children's personal assistant was sick (one with covid and one with a different issue) and as the buses can not run without an assistant the drivers where sitting at home getting paid instead of collecting the kids. In this case the onus is on the school to provide an assistant for the kids not on us as a contractor as the department of education fund the schools to provide said assistance. One of our drivers actually spent 8 weeks off the road a few years ago on full pay as the school failed to get an assistant for that particular bus run.

• Advertisement

So you are being paid through the books....interesting 😊

Interesting. I wasn't paid for the days of with the storm last week. I notice I seemed to get a bit extra cash for the days I did work. Is it at the discretion of the company contracted by bus eireann to decide what to do with the money for the days off? Or would it be sort of illegal for them to keep it?

Yes, although I did cause some damage to the rear of one of his buses since that question, which might make it a bit harder. I might also need him as a reference for a bus eireann role.

Advertisement