Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

Do delivery trucks not have a reverse gear?

The fundamental issue / disagreement here is that too many people expect cycling infrastructure to be worked around the existing car / motor infrastructure, it is years of this that has gotten us into this mess. This approach is also going to do very little to help us achieve the climate goals that have been set out.

Until people who value unfettered access for motor vehicles accept (or are forced to deal with) the fact that this era must come to an end we are unlikely to make a whole lot of progress in terms of congestion, active / sustainable travel, climate goals etc.

Post edited by Dowee on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And if it's chicken and egg situation as some people seem to want. AS in people were driving here before cycle lan added, then in the specific case of this Supermarket, it's the other way around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the etiquette when cycling past a funeral? should i take off my helmet as a mark of respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Smaller delivery truck, that can fit in the space they have?

I guess it's not surprising that the usual suspects want the status quo maintained, and believe that the problem here is the active travel infrastructure. Supermarkets without their own infrastructure, should adapt. Not the rest of the population.

Don't overtake it anyway, or you'll never win a National Championship... The more I think about this "solution" the more it's no solution at all. Apart from whether it's appropriate when people are burying their loved ones, a 2 way cycle track is inevitably going to be blocked by cars at funerals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

So a quick google reveals that the opening hours for the cemetery during the week are 10am to 4:30pm.

How will access be managed during the hours when commuters and kids going to and from school actually cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

You mis-read my post; I didn't posit 'the elderly argument' I stated that Supervalu Ranelagh provides a service to a huge population many of whom are elderly and don't cycle, that is a fact not an 'elderly argument'.

I've read that changing that to 24hr is part of the plans.

It is though. You've shoehorned that point in many times. The cycle way in no way impedes their access to the store. Supervalu, illegally blocking it for years and years though causes far more issues than having them use the alternative.

Exactly where did I 'shoehorn' in the 'elderly argument' many times? Again you mis-read my post; I didn't suggest cycle way impedes access to store - I clearly stated Supervalu was an important service in the middle of Ranelagh and in that context the Council should have worked closely with Supervalu to provide a solution to deliveries when cycle lane changed to 24 hr.

• Advertisement

In the last day, you've reiterated it, hence shoehorning. IT's not you alone.

IT's been done to death on this very thread. First it was the elderly of Sandymount being locked into their houses, then it was the elderly being cut open by some sort of vicious wind another imagined and then there was the Rathfarnham on a Sunday.

It's the "won't somebody think of the children" method of trying to make a point. Maybe the elderly would cycle, if they knew that the lane would be unobstructed at all times.

If I want to make a change to somewhere in front of my property, I don't expect the council to come up with a solution. I go to them with a proposal. Supervalu have just carried on though, no matter what changes were made, what laws were in place for their illegal blocking of a mandatory lane.

Supervalu have a very easy way of solving it. Using their fleet of at least 50 smaller trucks to deliver into shops such as this one. Elderly people are still going to be able to get their shopping, that will still be delivered into the store quite easily by using the appropriate loading bay across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

What are the chances that such open access will invite anti social behaviour into the graveyard at night. Drinking and vandalism would not go down too well I imagine.

TBF I think it's you who has the intention to 'shoehorn' in the 'elderly argument' at any opportunity

I don't whatsoever. It's come up so many times on this thread without any sort of backup or data. Just a but but but, the elderly people rely on it, doing a disservice to an entire part of the population to be honest.

No doubt "cycling activists" will be blamed if that occurs.

You read what you want to read into a post, I go back again to what I explained; I was not 'shoehorning' the 'elderly argument' as you call it, can't be clearer than what I explained earlier - context of a valuable service provided by Supervalu in Ranelagh to many people some of whom are elderly and can't cycle therefore walk/drive - that doesn't need data or backup.

So it's ok to damage public property and break the law, all because they provide a valauble service to people (some of whom are elderly) for which they are paid for and make a tidy profit from. Is that your point?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So what? What relevance does that have to anything? No one is suggesting the store is forcibly shut.

Point was and is Council would have been better reaching a solution/compromise with Supervalu Ranelagh when making cycle lane 24hrs

Ah here... this is going into twilight zone....who is saying 'store is forcibly shut'? No idea what this post means.

• Advertisement

But why are you bringing this up. They can still walk / drive and use the car park. You're making it out as if supervalu not being able to use a dedicated cycle lane as a loading bay, will force them to starve or something (hyperbole is deliberate).

Nothing here is preventing them getting to and from the store. Yet you have brought it up so it deserves to be questioned. The valuable service they offer can be done, without them damaging proeprty.

Superquinn. Neither the four provences, Superquinn, Supervalu/Musgraves, Rosebud Sports Ltd or Flyefit have applied for any sort of change to enable a loading bay facility there or in the area. They've applied for changes to the front, permission to have things done out back, basements, extensions, add stories, add awnings, but never have they applied to change anything to do with loading and have just taken it for granted that they can use the public road and cycle lane.

Can't work with the council if they don't look to solve the issue in the first place

I'd ask again, is there something stopping Supervalu using a smaller van that either can access the car park or the existing loading bay? Rather than paying lip service to environmental issues on their website/ in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Musgraves have a logistics division, it's literally peoples jobs to ensure that they can deliver to all types of stores in varied locations. The fact that they are unwilling to do that is nothing to do with the council. The fact they have been getting away with it for years with no enforcement means they'll keep doing it. If there was enforcement they would change their practices fairly sharpish. It's crazy that multi-million (or even billion) corporations have managed to convince the public that it's the councils fault that they are parked illegally for deliveries.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So what is the relevance of the shop providing services to elderly people? They can continue to do that, they should just stop breaking the law in order to get their deliveries.

Back to my point that a person reads what they want to read into a post; I didn't 'make out' that anybody was going to starve or something (your word), didn't suggest anybody was being prevented from entering store. What does 'four provences' mean?

This is Supervalu's issue to resolve, not the council's and there are a number of simple solutions (suggested above) which could already have been implemented if they had the desire to do so.

Additionally the easiest solution is park in the driving lane and inconvenience people in cars instead of damaging public property and endangering vulnerable road users. It never ceases to amaze me how people who wouldn't dream of parking temporarily on the road have no issue doing so on cycle lanes and footpaths.

Supervalu was previously Super Quinn. Prior to 2007 it was the Four Provences pub. All of the planning applications that they had made as far back as 1997 are available to view online. Not once did they seek to address the loading bay issue.

You are saying that they have to be able to get goods in, from these trucks and that only on that side of the road though. In a roundabout way, but that's what your saying. The loading bay across the road, is suitable for the vast majority of Musgraves delivery fleet. As someone has said they have an entire logisitics division. The larger trucks have no place being there

Most likely Supervalu didn't seek to address the loading bay issue as it is only since implementation of 24hr cycle lane this year that it will have become more of an issue than in the past. Not being au fait with Musgraves delivery operations it is not for me to posit why they choose to use the delivery fleet that they do; perhaps they are delivering to Ranelagh/Churchtown/Blackrock or some variation thereof.

IT's been an issue for as long as that mandatory cycle lane has been there, which is at least 12 years, and likely longer. Even when it was 7am-7pm. it was a mandatory lane, meaning it could not be parked in, could not be driven in, and could not be used as a loading bay. They have used it as thus the entire time. they simply didn't bother to address the situation.

So why, why on earth is it for the council to propose a solution, when Supervalu/Musgrave have not asked for one. They've ignored for over a decade the laws regarding the lane, and are now destroying property in the process.

• Advertisement

Council have implemented changes and upgrades along all that route in the past year including Zebra interventions so if there was a problem with Supervalu and deliveries then that was the perfect time to address it.

Advertisement