Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Posts deleted..MMA talk only there's an off-topic thread for this kind of stuff..not as if it hasnt been said 100 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Conor looking biggest I’ve seen him currently. He says he is 190lbs. He is similar shape now to Woodley when he was champ, maybe he is targeting the 170 belt when he comes back. Looks a bit unnatural with this bulky torso.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He's undersized & not powerful enough at LW, He could be bulking up to come back down to LW to be more powerful ,

He weighs right now close to Dustin walk around weight,

WW would be a night mare for him ,

Obviously Conor takes chances & its earned him a shed loads of cash and in a way you have to respect that but Conor best weight was FW i honestly couldn't see anyone beating him down there , He was never going to stay there because the money was to be made else where

People will say he would have got to big but that was down to choice the same thing use to be said about Aldo and he is weight down from that and still performing well,

Honestly once Conor started adding weight his days as a world class fighter where numbered,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

It definitely can be done, as you said Aldo now fights successfully at 135.

I think he overestimated himself at LW based on the Eddie fight, but even putting aside that unbelievably dominant win, he did look okay against Porier in fight number 2 as well, despite being nowhere near his best.

His game is full of holes though at LW. If he had been training properly since the Eddie win like people like Dustin were, he'd probably be up there still. But he wasn't, not only did he not evolve, he went backwards and it shows badly.

His biggest chance would be back at FW where he has crazy knockout power and realistically it's not like he's some sort of giant at FW either. There are guys taller than him fighting at BW, it's his reach is lethal.

People have their ideal divisions. Like Khabib could easily have gone to 170 but everyone knows he wouldn't have been remotely as dominant up there.

Conor at 170 would be a joke. He'd be undersized and his cardio would be rubbish. Imagine Usman v McGregor. I'd take that over Porier v McGregor 4, which I sincerely hope does not happen.

• Administrators Posts: 370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: Off Topic Discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

McGregor now #9 ranked LW, sandwiched between Dan Hooker and Gregor Gilespie......... pretty dire!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Conor v Nate would be an easy win for Conor so it's very possible he'd love to have that fight.

Nate is finished. He opens up too easily. Conor would land and open him up and he'd be ruined like Masvidal fight.

I'd like to see Masvidal v McGregor. Two journeyman level fighters at this stage.

McGregor needs to get back to his karate stance rather than the traditional boxing stance.

Nowadays, he's too easy to hit and ends up going searching for his punches rather than finding them.

McGregor what 33 now , Eddie fight was November 2016 ,

So he has spent 5 the vast majority of the last 5 years training MMA part time or not at all for various reason's (boxing, on a bender ,injured)

There is no sport in the world you could do that and remain in the top 5 in the world,

He made brilliant financial choices but **** one to remain a world class MMA fighter

In other words he is done at or near the top ,

Oh I don't disagree that he's finished at the top. He no longer has the desire/application to get back there.

But, given he has two fights left on his contract, we can assume he'll be back. No matter who he fights, he'll go 0-2 if he carries on with the heavy-footed boxing stance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Well hes lost 3 out of 4 in that division. Gillespie has lost one. To a peach of a KO. Amazed hes still in top 10.

Hes completely blown his prime as an MMA fighter. Ages 27-33 in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Dont think he was ever really an elite fighter at lightweight, yes, he was excellent against eddie alvarez but outside of that, hes been well beaten many times at this weight now. He's probably a top 5 fighter in the lightweight division at best.

He was excellent at featherweight primarily because he had a reach, height & physical advantage. On top of this he was riding the crest of a wave. He was professional & knew exactly what he was doing when it came to cutting weight. So good in fact, he looked close to death sometimes.

Harder to take the punches, take downs, elbows when you move up a weight class.

Impossible to tell , He dealt with Eddie with ease one of the greatest ever title fight displays in the UFC & then never trained MMA full time for a prolonged period again ,

For someone out of the sport for 2 years , on a bender in camp & a messed up foot he did very well against Khabib ,

His made choices that made sure he would never reach his peak in what should have been his prime years ,

I suppose in the end of the day he made his millions & that what it was all about ,

The Floyd fight made himself his family richer than they could ever imagine ,The money he made form it allowed him to invest in things to become even wealthier , it really made him mega rich ,

But at the same time it ensured he'd never be the same in MMA again that stance & style that made him good was gone,

Lets not forget the lad was the first simulations 2 weight champion so he still done good, But its just a case of how good COULD he have been ,

Plenty of "could have beens" in sport... a lot more than those who achieved their potential.

He’s only dropped down the rankings because he hasn’t been active the past 3 years. And the only fight you can say he disappointed in is Poirier 2. Khabib beat everyone and Conor didn’t do too bad against him, especially considering he was completely crazy at the time. Poirier 3 he was 10-9 down at end of round 1 then couldn’t continue, he was totally in that fight still. Even Poirier 2, yes he was beat fair and square but the fight didn’t have the usual buzz and zip that a McGregor fight in USA has. I wouldn’t count him out yet all ye doubting Tom-Toms.

"yes he was beat fair and square but the fight didn’t have the usual buzz and zip that a McGregor fight in USA has."

What does this mean? If he had fought in the US he would have won?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hes fought 4 times in the last 3 years. Thats active enough. 1 fight less than Poirier has had in the same time. Or even a champion like Amanda Nunez.

Hes lost 3 of those 4. The only win vs a washed up Cowboy. Thats why hes sliding down the rankings. Because hes lost all of his 3 fights at LW in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

sea level Cain, full camp Mendes, zip and buzz McGregor.

Anyways who cares about the rankings. Let’s see what happens during the few years after mid next year when he should return. He’ll fight for a title again if he wins his first couple of comeback fights, maybe even if he wins his first fight. Depending who he fights, but he will be in a title fight immediately after he beats a top guy.

One positive about Conor not fights is less ppv’ son bt sports. Am surprised to see this wknd again in not ppv. New York event clashed with the Canelo fight, is there a similar reason Poirier is not ppv??

He got ko'd for the first time in his MMA career in Poirier 2 that pretty significant & in Poirier 3 he literally got broken trying to fight Dustin off,

The chap is done at the top end of MMA ,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If ever there was an example of a single post that illustrates a reason to ignore a poster's opinion on MMA, this is it.

I've seen some tripe posted around here in regards to Conor, but to say that the reason Poirier beat Conor and not the other way around is geography............ that's a special kind of delusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

He's done at beating top level guys. He's passed his peak. He'll still sell tickets, but old Conor is finished.

I think if Poirier wins this weekend, he'll wait to fight Conor, as he knows he can beat him and it's a big money fight.

I agree & if anyone has half a brain they will have noticed Dustin is trying to position this ,

Any time Dustin is asked question about fighter he drops Conor me in a positive light ,**** like recently when askes who hits hardest " Conor for sure, he nearly had me a couple of times " that right there is Dustin trying to get people thinking its a 50 /50 fight just to get that money fight one more time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

• Advertisement

I wonder will his bigger size reduce his stamina even further.

Advertisement