Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

He offers no evidence for those claims I mentioned

What is the preferred move if Russia does invade the Ukraine? Sanctions or war? Ukraine is not a NATO country, why should Europe get involved? Russia will not subsequently invade a NATO country.

Where will the resulting millions of refugees be housed and who will pay for them? The answer will be the EU and EU taxpayers.

Once again no matter what happens there will be no consequences for the US or American taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sanctions are useless , military action has to be an option otherwise when do we take action , when putin takes several other countries , it's Believed Putin wants a pro russian state inside of Ukraine as it stands they don't have enough area to become a new russian state ,I still think he wants to take anything that sits on the black sea ,that way he can keep NATO and EU military vessels out of the area ,

The towns already under russian control in East Ukraine were home to companies that received over 70% of all Ukrainian government subventions ,which were all russian owned and given aid by a pro russian leader ,

A military response cannot be contemplated because of the unfortunate reality of the thermonuclear weapons, of which both Russia and NATO have thousands, each one pointed at a city you know, on hair trigger alert, and which, once launched, cannot be aborted.

People discuss these geopolitical scenarios (e.g. Ukraine and Taiwan) as though nukes don’t exist and would never be used. They can’t fathom that the most likely trigger for a nuclear war is panic, a mistake, or nervousness during a period of conventional tension. It’s understandable, I suppose, because it’s hard to accommodate the idea of a real doomsday event - where we, our spouses and children all either vaporize, burst into flame, or die of radiation within a few short weeks - but one would hope that the leadership isn’t quite so obtuse and ostrich-like.

I don’t think Ukraine is worth the end of the world. If the shoe were on the other foot and Canada and Mexico were on the road to joining the Warsaw Pact, the US would never stand for it. I don’t like Putin or Russia, but I recognize that Russia is a great power with legitimate security concerns.

The only longterm solution to all of this is to make war illegal and destroy all nuclear weapons. Is that ever going to happen? It is becoming Increasingly easy for our world to be ended; top thinkers in existential risk such as Nick Bostrum, Toby Ord and William Perry believe we have never been closer to the end of the world.

Seesm to me that Putin isn't the grounded counterpoint to change in the West that some people want him to be. If he cared that much about his people, why are there so many destitute Russians? And beyond economics if he cared about the soul of his people, why are there so many Russian women forced to 'sell' themselves in many ways from dating sites to webcam sites to actual prostitution? He could snuff that out using the same mechanisms he uses to keep track of and silence journalists. (I'm not saying he should do this, but rather that if his 'conservative' persona was real, he would do this. Ergo, his persona is false.). And for young men, there is always the military where you can earn a pittance if you survive the bullying. Putin and his mates are doing fine though.

Point being, it doesn't seem like Putin gives a flying fook about the average Russian person, the character of Russian society, or the well being of its young men and women.

The point another poster made about Russian planters in Ukraine, but also in the Baltic nations, is important. Strange that it is missing from many Irish analyses, given the diffculties presented by planters in our own history.

• Advertisement

Looking at these as 'planters' is neither helpful nor very accurate. There were no clearly defined borders in the central and eastern European empires. Travelers along a road in the HRE, for example, would pass through a German-speaking village, then a Polish one, then a Czech one, then a Polish one, then a German one, then a Slovakian one, then a Czech one, then a German one.

After the last war, around 12 million Germans were simply uprooted from lands where they had lived for 700 or so years -- cities like Konigsberg, Breslau; regions like Silesia; and tracts of modern-day Lithuania, Poland, Czechia, etc. In no sense were their high medieval forebears 'planters'; in many cases they were individual families moving into virgin territory in an act of organic 'wandering'.

It was very much the same in the lands where the Baltics, Belarus and Ukraine are today. In the middle ages, the eastern lands were very sparsely populated, so local Lords often encouraged clearance of forests, settlement, and the establishment of villages, regardless of language. In short, there was no clear border between the various ethnicities in the East. This is a feature of the geography of eastern Europe -- it's wide open, flat, militarily indefensible, and hence ethnic groups didn't really have their own fixed territory, bounded by natural barriers.

That's not to say that the Soviets didn't deliberately move people around in the 20th century, or that Putin today isn't weaponizing the Russian passport. But that doesn't mean that Russian interests in Ukraine are based solely on plantation, because they certainly aren't.

Comparisons between Ireland's experience and the continental experience don't work for me. I find the Irish experience, grievances, and situation incredibly mild by comparison. Insular thinking, as one might expect.

I phrased that badly. Pre-coffee post. Another poster mentioned the Russians that moved into Ukraine and I wanted to highlight that this is a real issue in the Baltics and provides a pretext for Russian interference there.

Was chatting to a Ukranian in Dublin a few months ago. We agreed that the Russians (the State, that is) are the Brits of the East --small population (relatively speaking) but a major power on the back of an obsession with militarism and imperialism in various forms. Bullies, in other words, posing as regional (and international) police.

I like that analogy, with Russia being the 'English' of the east -- but far more brutal I would say.

I think you could also say that Ukrainians have been a little bit like the Scots (or maybe the Welsh): in enthusiastic participation with the Russians for some periods, very reluctant at times, brow-beaten at others; with elements that were always - or are now increasingly - bent on going their own way, particularly those in the west.

'The English' is definitely better, I agree, analogy-wise. Then Scotland's case makes a lot of sense. A comical example in some ways, but I think of the disastrous Darien scheme and the idea that it was one of the factors that drove the Scots back into Union w/ England.

When you get down to it, the 'English' in this case is just a tiny subset of the English population. What is Russia's equivalent of 'the home counties' and the 'public school - governance - militarism/imperialist adventures' pipeline?

I think that's where the analogy breaks down a bit -- but basically the genesis of the Russian and Ukrainian nations is Kievan Rus' -- a loose medieval federation of Slavs that encompassed contemporary Ukraine, Belarus and 'Muscovy' -- i.e the Russian heartland centered on Moscow.

Even today, 80% of everyone in the Russian Federation lives in the flat, featureless steppe land sandwiched between the Urals in the East and Ukraine / Belarus and the Baltics in the west. This area remains the Russian heartland and you cannot understand Russian paranoia and aggression without appreciating the ferocious invasions of Russia in previous centuries, all of which, from the West, came through the Baltics, Belarus and Ukraine; and the neurotic mindset that the Russian leadership adopted in response.

On these boards, I have been scoffed at for 'justifying' this Russian paranoia, as though by highlighting the fact that it is historically justified in the Russian mind makes me a Russian apologist. It is further pointed out that there is zero chance of an invasion of Russia from the west today and that the Russians are, therefore, insane to see the westernization of its western buffer states as a threat. Okay. Well, we can all agree that the Great Famine in Ireland was bad and poisoned British-Irish relations immeasurably, to the point that when Priti Pratel raised the possibility of a ban on food imports to Ireland from Britain a few years ago, it reminded many Irish people of the British attitude to the Famine in the 1840s, even though there was zero chance of Patel causing a famine in Ireland today. It boiled the blood regardless because of the insensitivity of her statement. But today, Russia is appalled by the potential loss of its influence in Ukraine and its admission to NATO and the attendant insensitivity in terms of what this means for Russia psychologically, geographically and historically. And if in the future Belarus were to democratize and westernize, Russia would respond with unspeakable rage and aggression, even moreso than in the case of Ukraine. But why is this? Why should Russia care what other, sovereign countries do?

The answer lies in the origin, geography and political structure of Russia.

In Kievan Rus', Muscovy grew pre-eminent but was militarily vulnerable to invasion owing to the flat land of the Great European Plain / Eurasian steppe, occupying a territory where the only natural defense was the winter cold. In the time of Elizabeth I, Ivan the Terrible in Moscow formulated and initiated a policy of expansion, the purpose of which was to create buffer space, to protect Muscovy from invasion, first from the south-south-east (Turkic peoples, the Ottomans, Persia and the Khanate remnants of the Mongol Empire); the Far East (central Asian nomadic hordes) and not least the West (against Balts, Germans, Swedes and the French). Despite a turbulent start, the acquisition of buffer space gradually gained traction and paid off particularly in 1812 and 1941-1944.

But, big territory creates big problems for Russia. Because with such a vast area of non-heartland territory, dissolution (and thus re-exposure of the Moscow heartland) is an ever-present threat. This is tackled by Russia in several ways:

1) You keep the Russian interior and far east dependent on Moscow. These regions would struggle to survive alone anyway due to the weather and short growing season. But you also keep the transport links mainly east-west, i.e. all roads lead to Moscow, rather than north-south, which would encourage links with rival powers such as China and Iran.

2) You maintain an authoritarian surveillance state to keep tabs on potential points of fracture. This incidentally is why Russia is unlikely to ever embrace western standards of democracy. When it did loosen its grip in 1990, look how much territory it lost! It's not going to make that mistake again any time soon.

3). You treat your neighbours with deep suspicion because if they are not trying to undermine your territorial integrity, their bad habits (such as, in the case of the Baltics and now maybe Ukraine, a pitch to western-style democracy), threaten your own (from the Russian perspective necessary) authoritarian model, which, if undermined, threatens the unity of the Russian federation.

For Russia, bruised and scarred by centuries of invasion, one of which let us not forget - in living memory - was utterly genocidal, the westward democratization of Ukraine represents an existential threat to the structure of Russia. Russia is and always will be concerned about a conventional invasion (Napoleon slept in the Kremlin after all), and Hitler would have got there too if he hadn't wasted 5 weeks in Yugoslavia first). Clinton assured Russia that there was nothing to worry about regarding NATO -- then NATO enveloped the Baltics, at a time when Russia was weakest and flat on its back. This demonstrated to Russia that it cannot trust anything the west says. The west says "what's the problem? Have a big mac and let the democracy wash over you". The Russians neurotically hear "I will accidentally on-purpose fatally undermine your state and destroy your geopolitical matrix, which has ensured your survival for the past 400 years".

Regardless, all of this is moot because of nuclear weapons. My fear is that people -- including leaders on both sides -- deceive themselves into thinking that a conflict, should it arise, could be managed and stay conventional. I think this is an enormous error with world-ending implications. Don't needlessly poke the rabid bear who has 6000 hydrogen bombs. Sooner or later, it will result in our mutual extermination.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Thanks for the background. I don't know enough to verify. But I will say it's not paranoia if the fear is rational. The Russian state's fears are completely rational. Look at the number of Western military facilities around its borders. Complete double standard from 'our' lot.

I share your concern about things potentially getting out of hand and what that might mean (the debate around the use of tactical nuclear weapons is coming up again in the U.S. and the prop is flowing).. that's why I don't think it is in Ireland's to encourage militarism, regardless of its country of origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

At the same time it's quite difficult for Ireland to ever prove that it's against militarism when it allows the RAF to regularly intercept Russian aircraft encroaching into Irish airspace

That's not even mentioning the use of Shannon airport for US refuelling.

We are and we aren't against it. Depends who's asking, type of thing. And the time of day at which we are asked. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Russia's paranoia about NATO on its borders is something to be managed but it should be recognised as paranoia. The likleyhood of NATO making an incursion into Russian territory is practically nil, while her neighbours have a well grounded fear about Moscow's irredentist tendencies, that's been borne out over the last couple of decades.

The US doesn't bully or cajole any state into the NATO fold, it's a process guided by consent. Ukraine is probably a natural NATO member and one that has real security concerns from its former big brother. What's unsaid about their desire to enter is that one of the reasons NATO is wary of letting them in is their large arms industry is riven with corruption and sells to states that NATO would rather they didn't.

Putin is like a jealous ex boyfriend stalking a former partner. He thinks he should have domain over anywhere that has a Russian speaking minority. It's an attitude that belongs in the 19th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Thanks for this really interesting background.

But do you not think that Russia is in danger of repeating the mistakes of the past. Sometimes your enemies, enemy is not your friend, sometimes they are an even greater threat.

I wonder how the 1930's / 40's would have played out if Stalin had not signed the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

This is a win win scenario for Putin ; if and when he invades Ukraine he increases his personal and Russian power , the US have already said they will not take action just impose sanctions ie stop buying Russian gas , Putin is already turning off the taps and a cut off will crash the EU economy as inflation spirals and poses a threat to the world economy . While this may impoverish Russia in the short term they have a much higher pain threshold than the west .

Yes I think this is a very risky move for Russia much like I think the casual dismissal of Russian concerns as an imperial anachronism is risky for the west. While I idealistically loathe the notion of spheres of influence and often wonder why we can’t all just get along, I don’t see any way around acceding to Russian demands in this case and formulating a new security pact as a solution to this crisis. Ukraine is not a vital western interest in any concrete sense, especially so when the stakes are war between nuclear powers.

I also have a concern that Russia is being pushed into a military alliance with China, even though the two countries are not natural allies. One could well imagine Iran being brought into the fold, too, forming a new nuclear ‘Axis’ of incredible clout. A coordinated alliance between these countries resulting, for example, in a simultaneous move on Taiwan and Japan by China; Ukraine by Russia; with Iran blocking the Strait of Hormuz, would not only mean a Third World War, but almost certainly the end of global civilization.

Russia and China are not natural allies. But their mutual grievances against the US has the result of pushing them together for the time being at least. If the west could get off Russia’s back it would take the heat out of US-Russian relations and allow Russia’s and China’s natural rivalry to re-emerge.

At the very least, we all have to acknowledge that human civilization has never been more vulnerable to collapse, whether that’s through inadvertent nuclear war, the wrecking of supply chains through the deliberate sabotage of the internet, or the AI arms race or bio-engineering of viruses, both of which represent an all too casual prying at the lid of Pandora’s Box. We simply cannot afford to have Great Powers squaring up to each other. It was bad enough during the Cold War. It is far more dangerous now.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Tomalaks post's are interesting but ultimately just intellectualisation of the morally bankrupt Russian policy.

That could be interpreted as making excuses for them.

At base IMO they have no right whatsoever to control all their neighbours as puppets & hold a sphere of buffer states, regardless of historical fears. No more than the English ever had a right to rule Ireland as colony because they were afraid of the rival continental powers allying with Ireland against them. I'm no historian but I think the idea of rights of self-determination of peoples/nations have been well understood and (mostly...!?) accepted in principle back as far as WW1. As another poster said, the policies of Russia are a nasty throwback to the 19th Century, in a world with 21st Century weapons.

Russia's fears can never justify an invasion of Ukraine or indeed the constant aggression the country has suffered after their offense/insult of throwing out their Russian puppet-government and looking to align closer with the EU through cooperation agreements. That possible alignment may have been threatening to Russia but (afair) it was in an economic/maybe social and political sense (the EU is not a military power). In fact Russia's actions since then have probably ensured Ukraine will always be looking for military allies (i.e. likely they will try hard(er) to suck the West/US etc into increasing its military support) if they can keep their independence from Russia in the longer term.

If/when Russia asserts full control over/incorporates Ukraine again, then I presume they may see a need for parts of Poland as the new "buffer" in that region, not to mention their existing problems with the Baltic states and Finland. They are all on the new Russian frontiers and will need to be regained and put under friendly rule, ultimately to "protect" Russia from more Western aggression. It never ends as far as I can see. Depressing stuff.

I think the sabre rattling is a win for Putin, he may extract concessions out of it whilst satisfying the ultra-nationalists.

As for an actual conflict - nothing to gain out of it. It would be a black/white case, the rest of the world could go full sanctions, cut them off from the banking system, everything. I doubt they'd enter any full conflict. At most, if action were to occur, I'd speculate it would be minor border skirmishes and misdirection to possibly grab more territory in rebel held areas. They caught NATO with their pants down in 2014, so I doubt such shenanigans would work a 2nd time. The "aid convoy" was a masterstroke in misdirection.

I am perfectly happy to concede that Russia is a geopolitical sociopath. Nevertheless, it has a thermonuclear arsenal and feels itself surrounded. If it didn't have nukes, you might consider slugging it out as in the days of yore, confident of ultimate victory. But since we can't safely do that anymore, it behooves everyone to stand back and ask, do the Russians have even a scintilla of a point in this particular case? And any fair-minded person would have to say that they do, even if the reason they do, is because they treated neighboring states badly in the past. This is a geopolitical feedback loop of the worst kind.

I don't think there is any point saying morality was on your side if the result of the moral effort is that your civilization was bombarded into an irradiated wasteland, knee-deep in the ash and charred bones of what was once your population. This is not a rhetorical flourish. This really, truly, could happen at any time - most likely as a result of nervousness, a glitch, or false information during a period of heightened tension such as the one we're in now.

People like William J Perry hold that a nuclear exchange is as close to happening now as at any time in the Cold War. We should all be very worried, not for Ukrainian democracy as such, but for the survivability of our species.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Lot of pundits seem to think this isn't just sabre rattling and Russia are going to invade some time in January/February. Is there a military advantage for them invading in the depth of winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Putin is now claiming what is happening to Russian speakers in Donbass is now Genocide ,

But yet most of the fire from artillery and missiles is coming from Russia into Ukraine territory ,the fact that Putin is using genocide in Ukraine will be more than enough for him to make a full scale invasion to defend russian speakers from Ukrainians

I dont see that they need to justify their position on Ukraine, since when it comes to be bigger military powers, they do what they want anyway. The US invaded Iraq by lying to the world, and there were no consequences applied to them for it. That's a very simple gesture to non-western nations of the double standards/hypocrisy of Western led diplomacy. The only way that Ukraine would be safe, would be for the US to ally themselves with them, and commit themselves to their defense. .

It's easy to throw out accusations about morality, when you ignore the behavior of western nations over the last 50-60 years, and the lack of reaction to what they've done/involved themselves in.

That's not seeking to justify a Russian invasion of Ukraine, btw. We should be at the stage where any warfare of that size was a no no.. but if the West is going to hold up some kind of high standard to be enforced on others, then the West should be equally bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The West is hardy without blame, but there's no equivalency in comparison to the USSR. The Soviets murdered many millions of people, with the Ukrainians suffering greatly. Small surprise they might feel a desire to separate themselves from Russia and its depredations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

Which is not related to what I wrote. There's no attempt to excuse Russian history in any of my post.

It comes back to, if we want other nations to conform to the standards of behavior, then we should be conforming to those same standards ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I don't disagree, I would argue that the US say suffered by not upholding its own purported values. That said, there's far too much relativism in the thread, with respect to Russia. It's unequivocally in the wrong here, and has been since Putin came to power.

Sure, I can see that. I'd be something of an advocate for it myself, since I do think the perception of non-westerners do have a bearing on this situation. I learned on my first trip to Russia, that the history we are taught, is not always the same as the history taught in other countries.

Russia has nearly always been in the wrong... but then, I'd say the same about any major power, whether that's the US of today, or the British of 50 years ago. I think there's too much favortism going on within the thread, with standards being applied to Russia, that aren't being equally applied elsewhere, with the West getting a free pass, with posters looking for the most favorable interpretation, that excuses the west, but blames Russia entirely.

Bumping up the usual rhetoric and propaganda. It's playbook stuff.

I don't see the "favouritism" towards the US or the Western pov in this thread (if anything it is the opposite). 

Not much point in constantly bringing up the US and it's past actions here. Yes, it's another "Empire", or thinks of itself as such (like Russia, or China, if objectively not as bad). Yes it has behaved in a might-makes-right manner and so it loses authority to criticise others for similar. As you say Iraq is by far the worst example of it in my own lifetime. I already mentioned that in another post.

There is still IMO an objective morality here (as far as I can see). Russia will be in the wrong if invades Ukraine and it is already in the wrong for the multiple hostile actions visited on the country since Yanukovych/pro Russia govt. was removed from power. I just think I am staing a fact there, not making an accusation or overlooking past actions of US/Western countries to criticise Russia unfairly.

• Advertisement

@[Deleted User] Maybe I should clarify + state directly that I don't think the West/US should get involved in it militarily if Russia attacks Ukraine + would agree with much of your post. Even supplying weapons is very risky. However if Russia wants the cold war sphere of influence back, then I think they should also have economic, politicial and social isolation from the West back too. Am increasingly of that view when it comes to both Russia and China, they need to be cut off as much as possible (or "we" in democracies need to be cut off from them, much as you would isolate an infection) despite the dangers of such an isolationist policy + the economic damage it will cause.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement