Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Zero reason to think that. What is much more likely is everybody gets some form of broad based natural immunity or dies. Making it less of a problem overtime if we stop trying to restrict spread so much

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

We leave that to the HSE they have been out to the house but giving my opinion i am shocked like all her neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Almost anything will finish off someone that old

It's about proportionality, you can't prioritise the elderly to an overwhelming degree ,we have very much tended to doing that while ignoring the youth in this country ,it has consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Ah so its your opinion that she died from Covid .Was kinda wondering allright as its unlikely any post mortem would have been carried out and the results known that quick .Hysteria can be contagious so be very careful and wear your mask at all times .

Where does it say that it was my opinion that she died from covid.

• Advertisement

I am not really interested in getting into a to and fro with you nor am I stupid enough to actually give my honest opinion on your original post .

You posted it on a thread concerning covid and unless my comprehension and grasp of English as she is written is poor then what else could anyone infer from it ?

As I said, hysteria is contagious.

My god we are getting low with personnel remarks , the best part of you..<mod snip>

Mod: This level of repartee is grossly unnecessary and isn't going to be tolerated. It says more about the poster than the person targeted!

Post edited by greysides on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod

Fred Daly, take a 48 hour break from this thread!

The rest of you who are getting aggitated, either do the same or cut out the personal stuff!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod: Fred Daly is banned from this forum for one month for repeating the comment he was warned for.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

the likelihood is in time mutations will become more benign,

Where did you hear this?

it’s interesting to see however in the meantime how many in society just care about themselves rather than the wider community particularly the elderly and vulnerable who need our effort to protect them.

Knowing that it will take money and lots of it, and young people and lots of them, to protect the growing elderly population, I'm not sure convincing young kids that they will kill others if they don't follow strict public health guidelines will achieve that.

The latest "take on covid seems to be back to "you are a naughty boy/girl if you don't fall in line to protect the 85 year olds"

Thing is ,do all the 85 years olds feel that way ?

I only can speak for one person that age and their opinion is its all a load of nonsense .That's only their opinion and they may be wrong but they are entitled to it regardless .

People are inherently selfish and only concerned with themselves ,immediate family and friends .Anything beyond that is usually detached .

The quote attributed to Joseph Stalin on the lines of "one death is a tragedy but one million is just a statistic " or "its all fine and well until it lands on your door " are I think ,a true reflection of human nature .

Reading and listening to all this covid stuff since February 2020 I feel people are ultimately only concerned with the impact of it on them and their loved ones .I hold my hands up and say I am no different .It has had no effect on me from a fear point of view ie I am not in the slightest concerned if I or one of my family contract it .Craw thumping and public displays of concern are all fine and dandy .I have yet to actually hear of a single person known to me who contracted covid ,were in anything but very poor health and ended up hospitalised .Yes I know of a few who died from/with (who the fcuk knows) it in March and April 2020 but these were long term residents of nursing homes and were in all cases 80 plus ALONG with being in very poor health .

Do people really think Micheal Martin ,Leo Varadker, Tony Houlihan et al give a sh1te about this ,only the impact it will have on their careers ?

This might seem like a contradiction for someone who posts on a covid thread but in all honesty I have less than zero interest in it .It impacted my life last year when stuff was closed but at this stage all it is to me is shoving on a mask when going to the supermarket.Can think of no other issue offhand at the moment unless you count the price of lambs and no idea if thats a positive if unintended consequence of covid .Have yet to get tested ,only once have had to produce my vaccination cert (brought out the mother in law for her birthday so maybe thats karma ), ,no tracing as a close contact that I am aware of .Am heavily involved in underage sport and a few other things and all that has been getting slowly back to reality this last few months .Covid protocol is mostly gone from kids sport at this stage ,with the only obivious thing being the lack of handshaking at the end of a game .The stuff about sanitising balls ,goalposts etc along with the home side paying all the match fee in a sealed envelope wrapped in plastic is long gone out the window .

I am amused/annoyed ? probably concerned for is the most apt phrase ,by those on boards who seem to take such a personal in interest in it and are prepared to condemn and berate the latest villians ,be it meat factory owners ,teenagers ,racegoers or our latest scapegoat,primary schoolchildren along with following the never ending contradictory "advice " and rules .

No issue with people following the rules but please remember not everyone is coming from the same place as you .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Every virus follows that path over time.

The Omicron variant seems to be very mild.

Does your approach make any sense though?

Does every virus really go that way or does immunity mean it'sless severe over time?

Flu strains had gone as mild as they were ever going to go in the middle ages.

Didn't stop them wiping out vast numbers of people in the America's with no previous immunity. Even in modern times when some of the very remote amazon tribes were exposed for the first time, it was much more severe than in the rest of the population.

When a population is no longer naive to a disease, its severity is very different.

Bar it was new, covid was never vastly different in its behaviour from other Coronavirus strains. When the population gets broad acting immunity (if we're not there already), it will just be another cold (non covid colds do kill lots of old people and always have).

If you take flu immunity, there's cumulative benefits overtime gained from repeated exposures. The head of the flu virus changes rapidly but the rest of it doesn't. Broad based immunity from past exposures to different strains means the body has antibodies ready to go that severely limit the severity of illness even though they are not the most effective antibodies at halting infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

i think Tony is an excellent public servant and is doing his job of providing the best advice for control of the virus.

his job isn’t to consider economic impacts of recommendations, that’s a political aspect.

Actually if you read the detail of what happened rather than just sensational headlines.

he asked for I think a 3 day delay so the scope could be better defined as he had done for previous reviews of issues as was his job.

he was fully cleared of any improper actions.

maybe educate yourself with facts rather than clickbait headlines.

his advice regarding covid has been on point from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭jaymla627

More clickbait headlines, you'd tell a lad black is white I'd say and you'd be 100% right in that head of yours, your a joke, wouldn't be a fan of cnn but they have a great article here and then of course we have the swine flu debacle

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/10/05/europe/ireland-cervical-check-scandal-intl/index.html

https://www.michaelboylan.com/new-page-48

Post edited by jaymla627 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Got the second shot yesterday evening, flattened today after it. Think ill take the half day today.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

Instead, Tony Holohan, Department of Health chief medical officer (CMO), urged the health minister to opt for a report which Dr Holohan himself would prepare. He advised Simon Harris that the “appropriate way forward” was to “state that you have asked me to provide a report on the matter, including whether further actions or steps are required”.

He added: “I strongly advise that you do not commit to a review of CervicalCheck arising from the recent court case.”

Thats from the article .

To me it would be the same as I telling the Dept.of Agriculture that ,although I had failed a cross compliance check and had actually lost a court case regarding the matter ,my advisor felt that he would "perhaps " consider doing a report on it at some future stage when it was all old news .Of course there would be no actual personal penalty ,rather the taxpayer would carry the can .

Sounds ideal.Where can I sign up ?

In reality the Dept. of Health's handling of other issues is not really the thing i question here .I feel pointing out a history of ??????????? is unfair and that NPHET along with the HSE etc should be judged on their reaction to, and handling of ,covid matters .That of course include their masters in the Government .I expect at least competence from a Minister(s) but I think the last 2 years have disappointed anyone with even less than average expectations .And to be fair to FF,FG and the Green party ,I am of the opinion that Sinn Fein ,Labour etc would most likely be a lot worse .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Was goosed for 2 days after mine ….not sick just foiked,heavy legged and lethargic ….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

He certainly doesn't take economic impact into account...nobody will blame him for doing that..

Went to A&E on the advice of the GP all clear but still f#cked had a younger cousin get pericarditis after his vaccination too, cant see myself getting a booster if im going to be like this each time.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Exactly. Your point is 100% correct, and also one of the main reasons why people are so fed up with Nphet. Their job is to look at the public health impacts. They should give that advice to the govt who then consider the broader picture and decide on the steps required. That's how it should happen.

Instead Nphet leak the news out, every day there is some new 'expert' on the radio from Nphet giving their tuppence ha'penny on what we should be doing and ultimately the advice they give is more restrictive than the actual eventual government announcement leading to all sorts of confusion.

There are quango's and government advisory bodies all over the place but you don't see any of them on prime time tv telling the country what to do. We go to a lot of trouble and cost every few years in this country to democratically elect a government. For all their faults and failings their job is to govern the country. How they have handed over control of this to an advisory body with a single focus only is beyond me.

Early days but Omicron seeming no worse and possibly milder than previous mutations.

Given it’s apparent increased transmissibility and if it is milder it might be good for it to become the dominant stain and push out the others.

It could be exactly what the restrictions and vaccinations were buying us time for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I reckon in Austria and Germany your going to see mass rioting and a breakdown of social order if they force through the vaccine mandates especially in the 5-12 year old age cohort of kids, studies coming out now show teenage boys are at greater risk of hospitalisation with myocarditis after vaccination, then they would be if they got covid 19, any democratic government that presists with vaccine mandates on the above age group are setting themselves up for medical negligence payouts in the years ahead that would be eye-watering, our have countries absolved themselves like the pharmaceutical companies from redress?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A relatives family have all tested positive, kids are very sick, adults are fine

• Advertisement

Looks like well all be day drinking over christmas as opposed to night time drinking, **** ridiculous guidelines set out.

Better living everyone

Advertisement