Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why aren't you donating blood?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I'd be against receiving someone else's organs. As it stands I wouldn't donate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sure we're all against receiving someone else's organs now when we don't need someone else's organs. The pertinent question is whether you would happily receive organs if you needed them.

What about blood and platelets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I know someone who died from Cystic Fibrosis earlier this year. They were offered the opportunity to go on the list for a lung transplant many times over the years, and steadfastly refused. I don't think it's a decision I'd make myself, but it's one they were entitled to make.

You'd think so, what with the sheer craziness of some of the stuff that gets posted, but I'm not so sure anymore. Imagine telling people 5 years ago that we'd have a new worldwide disease ripping through countries and decimating economies within the next few years, and that a vaccine for this disease would be available, free, to everyone but some won't take it.

Case in point:

I'm still not sure what you mean by 'libby'....can we take it that you mean liberal? One of the definitons of the word liberal is: "a supporter of policies that are socially progressive and promote social welfare". The whole concept of social welfare (as in, the general well being of society, not collecting the dole) is helping those who are less fortunate than you. So yes, helping people in general is one of the cornerstones of being 'libby'. Refusing to possibly save someone's life because you don't want to take out your cufflinks is pretty much the most bizarre reason one could invent for refusing to do it. I'm still not sure whether you're taking the piss or not.

The second half of your post reads like a mental patient trying to wind people up. Full of buzzwords being bandied about by online neckbeard edgelords who want to feel better about hating everything in the world, including themselves. What way do people respond to you when you speak like that in real life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

As soon as you see even the shine on the tip of the reapers scythe you'd be on the phone to surgery.

Hello doc.

Yeah look about those things i said earlier about transplants being icky...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd imagine when the time comes, and you need them, you'd have no problem accepting donor parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

My doctor knows my feelings on the matter. Does yours??

I didn’t say icky once, that was someone else. Perhaps an eye transplant is in order??

I don’t think I will. It’s something I’ve been strongly against all my life. Same with certain types of illness, if I get them I won’t go get treatment and let them run their course.

You can imagine all you like.

• Advertisement

I never said you did.

I said thats what you would say.

Those big steel balls of yours would shrivel faster than a mickey in a cold breeze.

Youd be banging on the surgery theatre door before the doctor could call you a waffler.

Hardly surprising,m given you feel that rolling up your shirt sleeves is too much of a hassle to bother your barney.

I am now firmly in the "taking the piss" camp, for what it's worth.

Ah, you'd be surprised but then you'd probably be surprised to learn that there were people in London during the Blitz who opposed the blackout orders (orders to turn off/block all lights to make it was harder to find the cities). There are always some people who find a reason to work against the rest because it makes them feel like they're in possession of some knowledge that makes them special or clever (Qanon is a great example).

But to be fair that poster mentioned wearing suits casually and Chads in that post (Chads are InCel talk for a macho man with square jaw who bangs all the women). They're either messing or they're an odd fish.

Well I hope you stick to your convictions when the time comes. Make sure to let us know how you get on.

"about those things i said earlier about transplants being icky" - no, you never said I did, maybe a dementia test too when you're getting the eye transplant. You just pulled icky from your arse? Didn't see the other poster using it.

I hope the time doesn't come, but if it does i'm fairly sure I will. I watched my father die "with" treatment. Bloated from steriods, hair falling out from chemo, short term memory gone from whatever meds he was on, confused and scared.

No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Well this thread is going in a weird direction….

I donated for the 21st time last night, I average one donation a year since I first gave blood. I can certainly do better, but seeing how some people make all manner of excuses not to donate, I’m not being too hard on myself.

If anyone is interested in blood and what happens to your blood after you donate, i high recommend reading a book called, Nine Pints by Rose George

Did you try and discuss other options with him?

People seem to want to hold on when they get to the end of their life, and will try anything. Including chemo that may make them worse.

No. I wasnt referring to any other post.

Yes I pulled it entirely from my arse. A complete hypothetical of a future event. What you would say, not what you did say.

I still havent seen which other post youre talking about.

• Advertisement

I'm very sorry to hear about your father, must've been awful for you and yours, so my condolences.

There is a world of difference, however, between what your father had to go through and what we're talking about in this thread. Having an aversion to certain therapies for something like cancer, especially when they may/may not be successful is one thing. You're essentially talking about quality of life over quantity at that point. Refusing to accept blood, plasma, platelets, a new kidney etc. when the outcome is (generally) much more predictable, however, is quite another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Im a lapsed donor. I read this thread this morning and weirdly got a text about 30 mins later to say the vampires were rolling into town next week. Booked in now for Wednesday, prob the first time in 7 years I've donated. Hook it to my veins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Was a regular donor when I lived in the north.

Then I found out I couldn't donate in the south because of the CJD years ago. Recently I saw a thread on twitter and they said the rules had changed. Bang, straight on to the website to register, and now I'm waiting to be called!!

• Used to donate years ago, before being diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and other stuff. Have received quite a lot of blood myself in meantime and had surgeons etc, so I can no longer donate. Otherwise I’d be a regular again and I would always urge anyone who can to at least try it once, and to eat particularly well etc in the week ahead of donating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Have made a few double platelet donations this year.

Donated platelets last less than a week and are in huge demand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Tried to once but they wouldn't take mine because of medication I am on.

Was kind of disappointed after psyching myself up.

• Advertisement

I don’t recall seeing many adds from the HSE looking for blood. They must be getting it from enough people. I’m sure many would come forward if it was needed. Most people probably don’t think that much about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's not the HSE, it is the Blood Transfusion Service. They're all over social media asking people to donate.

Probably don't have the budget for TV ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Had a blood transfusion a long time ago, so was told I couldn't give blood. Checked to see if that had changed - wasn't aware it's only for those receiving it after 1 January 1980. Anybody know why this is an important date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

Welcome back Adolf, Thought you were long gone lol

ah no a nice idea in theory but a little teeny small bit OTT.

FYI i donate platelets already every month but if they brought this Shitology in, I'd definitley stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Despite my many requests to be accepted as a blood donor, I have been formally informed that I will never be permitted to donate blood on two accounts:

1. I lived in London between 1988 - 1992, this was during the BSCE (Mad Cow)outbreak and could impact the integrity of my blood - Really don't get this one as we also had the same issue here in Ireland.
    2. I have survived through Malaria and may still carry trace strains. - I get this one, fair enough.

So I will never be permitted to donate blood, shame really as I would like to but "Safety First" I guess.

• Advertisement

• I’m not allowed either, cos of asthma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thanks to this thread, and the constant prompting by the IBTS on facebook, I've made an appointment for my first donation in over 5 years for next week.

I was shocked it's been so long, but when you get out of the habit it's easy just let it slide.

Now, how to not get fkn covid in the meantime???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just got a text from them looking for blood, so I'm booked in for early Jan. Looks like supplies are seriously low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I was a frequent donor but then couldn't donate due to medication for a while. Then I was excluded due to minimum height/weight requirements for women - lots of women I know are excluded because of this. I understand it's due to increased risk of fainting, but it's very frustrating when they're so desperate and these otherwise healthy women want to donate (many of us having done so for years).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Number 38 with Dracula tonight. Yeow. More pens please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Snorlaxx

Same here and it P!$$£$ me off cos its a totally unrelated condition I have and any time I do get a blood test they say your blood is grand boi, keep doin what you're doin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I thought they could use it for plasma or something, but apparently not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I have MS, so I don't think they want my blood

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Because the last time I had a blood test. I was unwell for the day, visible weak and sick to me stomach...i Don't handle blood well at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

I'm needle phobic and have been known to faint after just a blood test. I've often said I'd do it if they could figure out a way of doing it without needles.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

Better than needles for someone like me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

<quote snipped - it contained an email address but I cannot edit quoted posts so had to remove it - Niamh>

Is this spam?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

That's why I asked HeidiHeidi as I was going to report it as such 👍️

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I took the eligibility quiz on the giveblood.ie website. I'm ineligible to donate because I have multiple sclerosis. It seems that because the cause of multiple sclerosis is unknown it precludes you from donating. Never knew that.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I always wondered about that.

I mean I know you really wanted that A from religion class but it wasn't even an exam subject at the time. I hope that Brother Murphy used a bit of lube

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Rocked up for donation number 43 last night. Alot of first timers there.

You can now register and book appointments for donations online - at long last they got their act together!!

I racked up no. 60 last time - I wonder can I make it to 100???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I'm at #68 and hoping to make it to 75. Really like to make it to the 100 donations but we'll see how it goes. Quality of the snacks is really gone downhill in recent years - I do feel my blood is more valuable than cheap Nestle bars and stewed tea !!

Advertisement