Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Laughable.

This from a poster that in his last post to this laid the problem of accepting equality and diversity at the door of those with an Irish identity.

😁😁

Can you tell us blanch what equality legislation those with an Irish identity are blocking?

Are those of an 'Irish Identity' blocking this?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

I'll take that as a no then. I've no interest in arguing about fault here, that's just childish. I simply urge you to reflect on how your attitudes are polarizing the "British only" community.

I would see it from a different direction, that the challenge now is for all of us to create an Irish identity that can accommodate people who are not nationally Irish, but who share the island of Ireland. So British-Irish people can be at least as comfortable as British-Scots, or British-English people. After all if British people who have lived for generations on the Island of Ireland are rejecting being Irish, then there must be something wrong with the generally held view of what Irishness actually is.

'Polarising the 'British only community'?

The idea that you are born and bred in Ireland and are 'British only' is in and off itself 'polarising'.

Being honest is not prejudiced or polarising.

These belligerents have to face up to their behaviour and insisting you are 'British only' is an insult and intended to be.

What you are looking for is appeasement.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Oh dear, oh dear.

Identity denial at its worst. The unsavoury aspects of exclusionary nationalism never fail to rear its head. Insisting that people born and bred in Ireland are Irish is just forced assimilation.

So nineteenth century in its thinking.

• Advertisement

No identity denial whatsoever.

It is like somebody born and bred in Dublin insisting they are 'Meath only' because their great great great grandparents were from Meath.

Ridiculous and intended to insult another identity. Calling that out is not excluding anyone.

This has to be a careful process.

There is a difference between assimilation and integration. To take an example, the banning of bonfires and Orange marches on the 12th would be an example of forced assimilation, but giving full respect to those bonfires and Orange marches, and even joining in, would be an example of how we would be integrating the Northern Irish/British culture into our identity.

I find if difficult to see how most of those who look for a united Ireland (as demonstrated by many attitudes on here) would be capable of integrating in such a way.

As for there being something wrong with generally held view of what Irishness actually is, like all cultures there are many things wrong. The cultural support for political violence (though only held by a minority) is a stain on our culture, as is the misuse of the national flag to celebrate such violence. If we are to have an inclusive Irish identity, we need to move quickly away from such connotations.

And include rascist and sectarian bonfire and OO culture just to appease?

Your politics are all over the place.

On that Meath point, if their family have maintained that Meath identity through the years, what exactly is wrong with that? Though living in Dublin, they want to retain the identity link to Meath, I would say fair play to them.

However, even if you are right, it is not a like-for-like comparison, but here is one. Say you are living in America and you claim to be Irish because your great great great grandparents came from Meath. Would you say deny that person entry into a golf event for Irish-Americans fundraising for an Irish political party? Like fu@k you would to paraphrase a famous property developer. The nauseating hypocrisy is on display in refusing a person born in Ireland the right to call themselves British while claiming money off a person born in America calling themselves Irish.

To be clear, I have no issue with that person born in America calling themselves Irish, no issue with that person born in Fermanagh calling themselves British or Northern Irish, and no issue with that person born in Dublin calling themselves a Meathman. It is their identity and it is not up to me or you or anyone else to tell them who they are.

The prejudice on display in your post is incredulous.

As is usual you ignore the 'only' part to facilitate moral high grounding.

• Advertisement

Doesn't make a blind bit of difference to my argument.

If that Meathman wants to say he is Meath only, despite being born in Dublin, and doing so from his lineage, who am I or you to tell him different?

If someone says that they are Sioux only despite they and their ancestors for generations and generations having been born in the USA, would you deny their rights as well? Ditto Travellers in Ireland?

In other words you appease him or her.

Sorry, not going to happen here.

If I see something designed to be sectarian, racist or insulting I will call it out.

And I dont need the permission of somebody who would accept rascist sectarian 'culture' for fear of causing offence.

If you believe that giving people the right to assert their own identity is appeasing somebody, you have a real problem. I would certainly call that view sectarian, racist and insulting.

That exclusionary nationalist approach of denying others their identity is a nasty destructive ideology.

You claimed that objecting to the racist sectarian parts of their culture was a problem for Irish people FFS

Nope, I didn't. You misread and misinterpreted again.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Hold on a second here, the ancestors of modern day Unionis were quite content to be seen as Irish up until the 19th century. You had the United Irish men, predominantly Presbyterians and the Anglican ascendancy who had to be coerced into agreeing to the act of Union. Why did they change? Well you had to look at the situation at that time. Catholics were still being persecuted by the Penal laws, land ownership was almost entirely in the hands of Protestants even though they made up only 25% of the population. It was not an equal society and the Catholic majority were at the bottom of the heap.

Over the course of the 19th century, Catholics started to gain more equality, something that most Protestants were horrified at and tried to stop at every turn. You have to understand that Catholics were seen as inferior and very much an underclass. In response, Protestants started to pivot away from anything that associated them with these inferior Catholics and adopt the British identity instead. So much of Unionist dislike of being Irish is based around a hatred of the Catholic Church and that was well in place long before Catholics had any sort of power in Ireland. The Gaelic revival of the latter half of the 19th century only served to re-inforce the idea of the Irish identity being unacceptable to Unionists.

Trying to blame it on the Irish is silly beyond belief, I think there is also an inherent belief(though they will never admit it), that they recognise they funked Catholics over big style and the fear of the majority population wiping them out in revenge is part of the psyche, much like the fear many whites had in South Africa when democracy was introduced.

Nobody, certainly not me, has an issue with them expressing their culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

We restrict people's rights to assert their identity all the time when that assertion of identity doesn't mesh with the standards of a modern Western society.

Not to draw a direct comparison of course, but for example female genital mutilation would be argued as expression of their cultural identity by those who wish to do it and I'm guessing you're not up in arms shouting about Exclusionary Nationalism when we legally forbid and culturally refuse to condone that?

While obviously not in the same league by orders of magnitude, a great deal of that which surrounds Orangeism you're arguing that we include, support and actively join in on actually propagates the type of Exclusionary Nationalism you claim to argue against.

While I certainly believe that 11th/12th celebrations and Orangeism can and should have a place in a Unified Ireland, arguing that there needs to be some degree of reform around them before we embrace it as part of our shared history and culture on this island certainly isn't Exclusionary.

Encouraging and joining in with the performing of anti-Irish songs, the burning of anything perceived to represent Irish culture and engaging in intentionally provocative actions isn't inclusionary, it is appeasement.

Without those elements (or even an active attempt to remove those elements), I could certainly see myself fully supporting 12th marches akin to those in Rossnowlagh.

I'd apply the very same standard and expectation for events representing Irish culture.

The idea that a new republic would turn a blind eye to sectarian and racist behaviour in order to appease Unionism is wrong...totally wrong.

I garuntee there are many unionists happy to leave that toxicity in the past where it belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

I don't disagree with anything much here, I think you're right in in basically asserting that "we" need to move towards them, as much as they need to move towards "us". Seems reasonable.

See my earlier comments about the pointlessness of re-litigating the wrongs of the past.

There is an interesting point there though, we did have centuries of the whole island having a British-Irish identity and presumably the communities who now are "British-only" at that time were comfortable as "British-Irish". Then sometime after partition that comfort disappeared. I don't think it silly to suggest that a large part of the reason for this is that the efforts of the majority on the island to define irishness as something exclusive of any British connection had the effect of alienating the British-Irish from identifying in any way as Irish.

After all this still goes on today. Speaking Irish is considered more truly Irish, despite it being empirically less Irish in most ways. Referring to people as partitionists as a way to insinuate they are milquetoast Irish. Look at the language used on this thread, where accommodating a British-Irish identity is referred to as appeasement. I think it would be very disingenuous to suggest that this does not have a huge effect on pushing plenty of unionists away from an Irish identity.

I also think it's childish to use words like blame in this context. Blame is irrelevant, we need to be looking forward at solutions rather that backwards for blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Oh I agree with you here francie but you forgot about those insecure souls who seem to need Irish signs, even though the can read the English just fine, to make them feel a wee bit Irish

Haha. You have the criteria based on saints and leprechauns.

but as for saints. At Patrick was a Brit who was brought to ni as part of the Irish slave trade. It is difficult to find any evidence of him spending significant amounts of time in your country but we don’t mind sharing him.

Nobody I have seen on these threads has an issue with a British/Irish identity.

The issue here is espousing a British only identity when you werw born and reared in Ireland.

It's nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Nope, Unionists had re-defined themselves as British way before partition had ever happened. As pointed out, once Catholics started to gain a level of equality in Ireland with the possibility of gaining some political power, and thus Catholicism having more of a role, Protestants started to re-define themselves, it really is as simple as that. A paranoia about and hatred of the Catholic Church. Why not ask Downcow.

If you want to add in the fact that Ulster was very strong economically and they feared losing that, you can but it was very much predicated on religion. The OO also were a major factor in pushing that division.

Also, considering English is our everyday spoken language, hard to argue we excluded all elements and Language is a pretty big one.

I assume you are ok about belonging to your beloved EU even though they accept it is ok to party by sticking knives in bulls until they fall to death in front of a baying crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

You could easily say the same about the 'flegs'.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yup, like clockwork - it was entirely expected and has come to pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Have to ask, what is your problem with the Irish Language? Would unionists for a change reach out to the other side for once and enact the ILA. It's a language ffs, why are some unionists so insecure. When there is a United Ireland, i hope unionists remember how many compromises they made to the Nationalist community because I sure will.

Advertisement